Mad Mother In Law

For problems with parents, whatever your age...

Mad Mother In Law

Postby Louby » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:16 pm

I am currently 4 months pregnant and loving the thought of the baby growing inside me (can't wait to feel any movements that the "bump" may make!). Me and my husband have been married for over a year, but have been together as a couple for almost 9 years, living together for almost 8 of those so we are very solid as a couple. I love my husband with all of my heart but the problem is his mother. She drives me mad with the constant interferring. She did this while we were planning our wedding and to be honest it caused some major arguments between us. Since she found out that I'm pregnant again (I had a miscarriage in early June and fell pregnant again straight away) she is full of helpful tips and advice such as "well you do have quite large breasts so I doubt you will be able to breast feed" which is something I have always felt quite strongly about trying my hardest to do for my child and I find her comments quite hurtful.

She always has comments to make about everything that we do and most of them involve either pretending to be stupid and asking a daft question or just being plain rude. My husband is in his 30's and I am 27 we are not children anymore and would like to be treated like adults with a little bit of respect but she just carries on as if we are silly little kids!

We were discussing our plans for the nursery, something I am very passionate about and she asked me if I wanted second hand furniture. Now I know that not everybody is in a position to pay a lot for baby furniture but both my husband and I have very good jobs, which pay very well and we wanted to buy new furniture for our new arrival. When we disagree with her, or more to the point I disagree with her she takes this as a personal attack which is not what I intended.

All I want to do is the best for my baby and I sometimes think she will be the grandmother from hell. If this is what she is like at the moment, surely things will only get worse when the baby is born? My own mother and I are very close and she would never in a million years speak to me like that or even make the suggestion of telling me what do to.

Any advice on the best way to deal with this without upsetting myself and everyone else (especially my husband - however mad she may be, I can appreciate that she is still his mother) would be appreciated.

Thanks
Louby
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Pwif » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:59 am

Locking this duplicate topic. Cross-reference to:

'mother-in-law driving me mad'
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Parents