overweight

For problems with parents, whatever your age...

overweight

Postby Sara_platermen112 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:45 pm

Hi people,

The thing is my dad, He's over weight and gets pains in his leg (i cant remember the name) but i beleive this is due to too much fatty foods??

He wont go to the doctor coz he knows he will get a lecture of the doctor to lose weight.

When my grandad was alive he always told my dad to lose weight and he listened to him. Unfortunately my grandad died 2 years ago. My grandma has tried telling my dad but he gets embarrassed and upset an shouts back, he knows hes over weight. I want to tell him but i really dont want to upset his feelings i dont want to hurt him or make him feel uncomfortable.

He LOVES his food, and his midnight snacks.. hes not obsessivly over weight like not able to move from his bed etc but he is over weight.

How on earth can i tell him to lose a bit off weight? Its my sisters wedding in June and he needs to start soon as he will be on all the photos. and when doing the speach etc he will get all hot - he tends to get reallllly hot when eating ??? im not sure if this is due it?

Thanks xxx
Sara_platermen112
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby misskrystal » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:45 pm

If he knows he's overweight, I don't see what you'll achieve by telling him again. It's not like he's in denial and refuses to accept his problem. I certainly wouldn't mention his appearance in the wedding photos either, imagine how hurt you'd be if someone said that to you.

If you really want to inspire some weight loss, take him for a suit fitting for the wedding. My boyfriend's dad knew he had a weight problem, but it wasn't until a tailor told him his actual measurements that he realised just how much weight he'd gained.

If you keep telling him how big he is, he'll more that likely compensate his unhappiness with overeating. If he acknowledges his problem, you can only hope that hell find the inspiration to get healthy himself.
misskrystal
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby teardrop » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:27 am

aww bless. just talk to your dad one day when hes in a happy mood .say ....dad i love you and dont want anything to happen to you because of your weight. ask him to go for walks with you etc over the park or round the shops for excersise .good luck
teardrop
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:06 am

I agree with teardrop encoruage him to do some excercise with you even if it is just walks and then tell him you love him and fear losing him one day
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:16 am

Could you both take up some form of exercise or sport together? Find something that he might like and that seems fairly masculine, like tennis or squash, or even just joining a gym. Say you want to try it but you don't want to go on your own, or you can't find a partner, and ask if he'll sign up with you. If it's at a regular time each week it'll soon become a habit.
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sara_platermen112 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks everyone for your replies.. taking up some sport is an excellent idea, i know he wouldnt like to go to the gym as he will feel uncomfortable but squash i know he likes!!! he does do table tennis evry so often but as i say eating late at night as he does makes going playing table tennis no outcome..

He is the one that does the food shopping im going to go with him next time and pick all the healthy stuff but im just as bad i dont have a clue whats healthy and what meals to cook that are healthy lol...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sara_platermen112
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:24 pm

Keep away from fatty products such as cheese, nuts (ok in very small portions), red meats, prepared meals, lots of bread (especially white), crisps and snacks, full fat drinks

If you want some good low fat receipt ideas get on the net. You can also pick up loads of information about good and bad foods

You can also pick the healthier options, like healthy living/low fat mince for your spaghetti instead of standard mince - you'll be surprised how much calories and fat you save

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby LME79 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:05 am

You can make some swaps when food shopping so nobody will realise they are eating low fat. My downfall was cheese as I love it on practically everything so was eating lots of it everyday - I have now switched to low fat vegetarian cheese and I don't notice any difference! Swap white bread for wholemeal ideally, but if he doesn't like that then swap to something like Hovis Best Of Both, as it's only 85 calories per slice. Also try to introduce something like Quorn into the diet - if he's into his burgers and chips, for example, you can cook Quorn chilli burgers served with low fat cheese, tomato, lettuce, onion in a brown roll and homemade potato wedges, or a jacket potato. Quorn chicken or beef style pieces are also great for stir fries. Up the intake on vegetables, especially green veg (fills you up), in everything, even if you have to puree them inititally in order to mix it in.

There may be some reluctance at first but persevere!
Last edited by LME79 on Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby LME79 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:07 am

PS> Try not to fry food that can be grilled and if you do have to fry, swap vegetable oil for olive oil or the low calorie spray stuff (Fry Light?), and drain as much fat off as you can whilst cooking.
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby brfc » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:00 am

snakajacks are great low fat things for snacking on
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:04 pm

using a george forman to cook all meats and fish helps reduce the fat

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby LME79 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:23 pm

Oh, also switch white pasta to wholewheat - doesn't taste any different! Not to me, anyway :lol:
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Return to Parents