Mum and bad personal hygiene

For problems with parents, whatever your age...

Mum and bad personal hygiene

Postby sabrinab34 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Bit of a tricky one and any suggestions would be great .... my Mum has bad personal hygiene down below if you know what I mean! She is of the generation where a wash in a morning and a couple of showers a week is thought to be enough but she really doesn't smell clean and I don't know how to address the situation. I know she will get very very upset and defensive if I say anything and I really wouldn't know how to start the subject with her. She has started to childmind my daughter at my house now I've gone back to work, and even the settee smells where she has been sat and I want to sort it out before my husband notices. Any suggestions????
sabrinab34
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby pink princess76 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:20 pm

ooh this is a tough one. The way I look at it you can go one of two ways.

Firstly you could be straight with her and come straight out with it. Be as tactful as possible and say that you wanted to mention it before someone else did.

The second option is to address the issue indirectly.

I had an issue similar to this a few years ago with a friend. What I ended up doing was mentioning a 'colleague' who had bad personal hygiene and I steered the conversation around to how I can't even think about leaving the house without a shower, and some deodorant etc, as it makes you feel so much fresher, cleaner etc. I must admit I laid it on quite thick and It took a couple of conversations along these lines but eventually worked. I honestly think that my friend did not realise it was an issue as he had really thought about it.

I do sympathise on this one particularly as it's your mum. - Best of luck
:D
pink princess76
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Parents