Worried about my dad

For problems with parents, whatever your age...

Worried about my dad

Postby RachelE91 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Hello,

This is my 1st post.

Im really worried about my dad, hes 51 and a diabetic, he had an riding accident around 11 years ago and hasnt been the same since. Basically my problem is this....

My dad is an alcoholic..he wont accept it though. Every night he comes home from work and as soon as he gets in he opens a bottle of wine...then another and another. By about half 7 hes passed out on the floor, he'll randomly wake up and mutter things and then fall asleep/pass out again.

I know the saying is that if someone wont help themselves they cant be helped at all but if he's not more careful hes going to die really soon.

I know things are hard at the moment. He hates work, things at home aren't great. But I have exactly the same problems, I dont get paraletic every night.

Every time he says he'll "stop" he manages a day maybe 2.

What can I do? Hes going to die if hes not careful and he says noone care but hes my dad and I love him. Of corse I care, so does my mum.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated

Thanks
Rachel
RachelE91
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Worried about my dad

Postby Ticktock » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:34 pm

The diabetes is a complicating factor and if he carries on drinking like this then yes he will seriously damage his health.

The saying is correct, very few addicts can be forced to give up their addiction of choice, however, you can make things more awkward. You have tried persuasion you now need to move to intervention. Your mum and you need to stop tolerating any alcohol in the house, so if a bottle gets left it gets emptied down the sink.

Sometimes loving someone means being mean to them in the short term for their long term good, only you can answer how your dad will react to this, and if this will involve endangering yourselves them you may need to seek medical intervention from his doctor as all alternative. Although this is rarely successful with an addict who doesn't recognise their problem.
Ticktock
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RachelE91 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:06 pm

Thank you for your reply. We have tried to hide alcohol and get rid of it at times but somehow he manages to get hold of some.

Me and my mum are finding it very hard to cope with as he is impossible when hes been drinking.

We are going to seek medical help soon so im hoping somethings will come of it.

Thank you for your imput
:D

xx
RachelE91
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:58 pm

As you say you can't help him until he wants to be helped but maybe you can show him how much this is upsetting you and what his behaviour is like

Video him on your phone or camera when he is next passed out and talking rubbish.
Then another day when sober sit him down, show him the video and ask him if he is willing to get hlep. Tell him you will even go to aa meetings with him for support if that's what he wants.

It may not work but it's worth a try
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Parents