single daughter

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

single daughter

Postby rhysey » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:28 am

My daughter is an attractive lovely professional woman aged 28.She has had one longterm serious boyfriend but ended it after 5 years and since then has had many dates .Her last single friend is now in a relationship altho all her attached friends get together and go out with her frequently so she has a good social life ! She lives in another city to us. However I am obsessed with the fact she is single - I worry all the time and am really down all the time about it as I know she feels ready for a serious relationship. I can't stop worrying and imagining her never settling with anyone. I never say anything to her though.... I wake up in the night and that's all I worry about. Help ! It's making me ill.
rhysey
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: single daughter

Postby rufio89 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 am

I think as blunt as it might sound - you need to just stop worrying and stay out of it. It's her life, if she wants to meet someone I'm sure she will in her own time. It can be complicated and messy in the dating world and feeling pressure (from yourself or from someone else) to meet someone and settle down is only going to make it worse.

She's 28, she's far from past it. She's got plenty of time to meet someone and build a relationship etc. There's no rush. Many people dont settle down in their 20's these days.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Mrdad » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:48 pm

Rubio is right, to an extent, no matter how old your children you will always worry about them! But like in most things they need to learn on their own. Your Daughter whilst might be ready to settle down, may just be waiting for the right guy, or girl, to come along. I'm sure you would rather she waited, than just settled for the next person that comes a long. And I'm sure when she finds the right person, she will. All you can do is support her.
As she told you she wants to settle down? Has something happened in the past to mKe her scared to do so? There are other things that could be stopping her. So just be there for her.
Mrdad
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby David020549 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:27 pm

I definitely think you should stay out of it, let her run her life her own way. Many parents have driven wedges between their families, imagine how much worse it would be if she had become trapped in a bad relationship. A great many women as well as men lead independant lives and are very happy doing just that, they are just content without the stresses and strains of a relationship. You should worry about something worthwhile, the dog, the garden, anything.
David020549
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Akidma » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:33 pm

Hi
As the last response you need to leave her to it and worry about something else.
She is attractive and probably does not need any help from anyone towards her future. There may well be underlying reasons why she isn't dating anyway. She may be gay; she may be bisexual; she may also be already seeing a married man. It just isn't your concern and if it was she maybe would share some of her intimacy with you, but obviously she does not because it is private. Do you discuss your relationship/sex life with her? I doubt it, so why should she discuss hers with you.
I think you should go walking or join a club and only worry about that which needs worrying about.
Akidma
Akidma
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Children