back problems for a kid?

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

back problems for a kid?

Postby thewildchild » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:41 pm

Hey,

So my 8-year-old daughter is going to school, but regularly complains about back pain. She has an okay bag, but has to carry a lot of books (too many I think) to school and back. Should an 8-year-old complain about back pain?
thewildchild
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: back problems for a kid?

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:01 pm

yes she may have an underlying issue such as scoliosis
I would get her a back pack and insist she wears it properly, not over 1 shoulder
Take her to an osteopath or chiropractor to get checked for any abnormalities
Has she got a decent mattress on her bed?
Can she leave some books at school in a locker and only bring home what she needs?
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby thewildchild » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:50 pm

Hey,

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty happy with the mattress she has, it's quality and fairly new. Leaving school books in a locker could be possible, I'll talk with the teacher I think. Did some quick internet research and read about this bag, which is supposed to help distribute the weight across the body, rather than only the back. But I'll make an appointment with an osteopath to be sure. Cheers :)
thewildchild
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Rarity » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:51 pm

How long has she complained of the aching for? My daughter, she's 5, has complained about back ache pretty much since she could talk. Not always, just sometimes. We took her to the doctors and were referred to hospital for scans to check for a mild form of Spinobifida. Turns out she has a teeny little crack in one of the bones in the bottom of her spine. Docs say it shouldn't cause her any problems except a bit of back ache... If it's something that has just come on I doubt it's anything like that, maybe the weight of her books as suggested, or maybe even just hormonal changes? I know it sounds too young, but some girls do develop pretty young!
Rarity
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Children