Arrrgh Nits!!!

For problems with your children, of any age...
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby bullet-for-my-valentine » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:32 am

this is probably a bit late but you can get electric nit combs from pharmicies they zap the eggs when combing the hair so that they don't hatch and the same with live ones they are really good
bullet-for-my-valentine
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby gothicglitter » Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:00 am

Dont forget to get all the lice. Condtioner and comb method is really good. Wash all bedding on a high temp. and kill the little pests by cracking the nits in between u nails if u know what i mean.. i carnt stand the crack lol. and when there all gone dont forget to put your childs hair up in a ponytail
gothicglitter
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Angel_Fairy » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:36 pm

Heya, i know it's late, but just wash her hair as normal, and leave the conditioner in for 5mins. Comb through the hair with a lice comb, and voila- no smelly unpleasant chemicals, and the problems sorted!
Chrissy xXx
Angel_Fairy
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

conditioner

Postby rippanationX » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:19 pm

use hair conditioner and just keep combing them out with a nit comb i have found that always works, the nits cannot grip at all. :D
rippanationX
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby peecee » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:27 pm

How sad am I...! :P I've made this post a sticky, because it's something that keeps cropping up.

It would be nice to stamp out the little gits, but it's not going to happen in our lifetime, children... :lol:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: conditioner

Postby xgemma86x » Wed May 03, 2006 10:45 pm

rippanationX wrote:use hair conditioner and just keep combing them out with a nit comb i have found that always works, the nits cannot grip at all. :D

ditto xx
xgemma86x
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby louiselouise » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:05 pm

My daughter had headlice that were resistant to all treatments.I tried Derbac,Full Marks,Lyclear and none worked .Then a new product came out called Hedrin that you can buy in Boots.It has an ingredient used in serum that works by suffocating the headlice so they cannot become resistant.You apply, it they die and then repeat a week after too kill any freshly haatched lice.I have used it and it works plus it doesn't have an awful smell like the other treatments.
louiselouise
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby chat noir » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:54 am

I had them a little while back, never did find out where they came from but how can you?! after endless attempts at constant combing, and tea tree stuff, nothing worked, but one treatment of full marks and I think it worked, whenever I comb now I never find anything except dead shells...
chat noir
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby thisgirlsammy » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:32 am

full marks doesnt work, i have had nits several times the only stuff that works is the expensive stuff and a great way to keep her away from nits is braids, they are amazing because the nits cant climb them
thisgirlsammy
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby WH » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:59 pm

When my children had nits I washed hair with normal shampoo, put coniditoner in, used nit comb and left it. The conditioner makes the nits stick and then die.

Always worked for us.
WH
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: Arrrgh Nits!!!

Postby ToriL87 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:00 pm

Headlice actually can't live for a long time in bedding or carpets as they need blood to feed on, so if you washed bedding i wouldn't be too concerned about your daughter getting more headlice from bedding or soft toys etc.
It will take a few applications to remove the headlice, the main problem is their eggs, if you can't use the solution again for a week, then i would continue to comb your daughters hair, or maybe invest in one of the combs that 'zap' them, i think they can be bought from argos. tea-tree shampoo is also meant to repell them.
Recently my cousin who is a vet told that aparently the best thing to use for headlice is the frontline spray which is meant for fleas- however i would be very wary of using this on your young daugther without researching it.
Make sure you disenfect all your combs and hairbrushes as well, in the solution or in hot soapy water.
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/head-lice i found this website helpful, more so that others which were created by companies which manufactured products.
Sorry, can't hang out, it's Quidditch season. You know how it is...
ToriL87
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Jesusculture01 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi
My four year old picked up nits at nursery last year and gave them everybody. He has shorter hair being a boy but I found a metal comb and loads of conditioner three times a day were helpful. In my hair as well as his! I really wouldn't waste money on treatments as they seem to be too weak to work, have been washing his hair with tea tree shampoo since he got them and they haven't come back. Hope this helps :)
Jesusculture01
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Akidma » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:23 pm

Hi
Nothing to worry about.
Nits, and head lice are hardy little critters, and take a while to die. Sometimes you need two different types of shampoo from your chemists because they can become immune to some. My son used to bring them home from School and infect me with them. Some people are more susceptible to them than others. Just persevere with the treatment and they will go, and please do not feel that it is any way a reflection upon you or your child. Anyone can get them!
As for washing the bed linen; do so if it makes you feel better but they do not survive off the human body. They need to have close proximity to a host; however I do understand your wish to clean everything.
One thing more. If you have cleared this infection then be prepared for more because your child is unfortunately just one of those who are more prone than others.
Life is a 'bummer'.
Akidma
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Previous

Return to Children