problem with boss

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

problem with boss

Postby stellar » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:03 pm

Hi

I think the title is self explanatory - I've got a problem with my line manager. I am supposed to get paid every week on a Friday, for the previous week's work. For this to happen my boss needs to sign my timesheet and send it off before 12 noon on a Monday. However, my boss sometimes doesn't send the thing in, sometimes goes on leave without telling me, and isn't very approachable. I am a very good worker (my colleagues always praise me) and I am in a big organisation so it's not a question of her not liking me or anything. Talking to my colleagues, I am not the only one who has this problem. But what do I do about it? Not getting paid makes me stressed, and feel ill, and I don't know how to resolve this situation other than leave my job! I'm off work feeling ill with stress today and I would really appreciate any advice at all you guys can give me.

Many thanks

Stellar
stellar
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby brfc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:21 pm

is there a pay department were you work? im sure there must be someone who can give your boss a boot up the rear end.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:55 pm

Definitely, brfc!!! :evil:

I send our company's wage details to a payroll bureau, and there is not even the tiniest chance that I could get away without doing it! If I make any mistakes, the staff are very fast indeed to point it out...

If you and, by the sound of it, other staff are unhappy about the way your boss is "forgetting" to send off your details, you absolutely must complain to her; if that doesn't work, you have to inform somebody above her.

Don't worry about upsetting her, your pay is the reason you are there (along with every working person on the planet), and she could get into very serious trouble if she doesn't buck her ideas up. She's not doing her job properly. What would the company do if the staff stopped work because they're not being paid?

Don't take the easy option of going off with stress, sweet pea, take control and stand up for yourself.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby stellar » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:25 pm

Thanks for your advice guys. The thing is I am a bit afraid of standing up to her because I'm only temping, it's only other temp staff that have a problem because our pay is different to the normal permanent staff. I have spoken to her about it before and she blames payroll (passes the buck in other words). She's got a very spiteful attitude and if I complain she might not keep finding me placements in the company.. so it's kind of a sticky one. I know she is breaking the law though, do you think its worth joining the union?

Also, I have emailed other bosses in the organisation asking if they need temp cover. Do you think that's bad?

Thanks again,

Stellar
stellar
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LesleyP » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:16 pm

Stellar, you need to have a private chat with your boss and impress upon her that you need your pay on time every week. Ask her how she would feel or cope if her pay was late? Then every Monday morning, stand there and ask her to sign your timesheet. Don't go away until she does. Then send it off to the Payroll dept yourself as she obviously isn't reliable enough to do it. If she says, "just leave it here; I'll take care of it", say no, you need it signed now. if she is awkward or if you have any further problems, take them up with your boss's boss.

If your boss is awy, go to her boss to get the sheet signed.
LesleyP
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to And the rest...