My guinea pig

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

My guinea pig

Postby netballluva » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:41 pm

I really didn't know where to put this but thought this was most suitable.

My guinea pig isn't eating, so my mum looked it up on the internet and it said we should get him to a vet as soon as possible as if we don't he will die. So, my mum rang the vets and she lady said that she should take him in as she could not tell her what was wrong as she hasn't seen my pet. She told my mum this would cost £75 just to see whats wrong without giving any treatment! My family doesn't have that money to just hand out but i don't want my guinea pig to die!
netballluva
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Moose » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:43 pm

Hey,
Did your mum phone up today? If so, maybe the vet was quoting Sunday rates, as they are often higher than Monday-Friday (and Saturday too at some vets).

How long has your guinea pig not been eating? If it has only been today, everyone has off days and maybe s/he just felt under the weather today and didn't want to eat. I know my cat does this sometimes, and I'm worried he's ill when he isn't (you're probably not as paranoid as me though!). Make sure the guinea pig has got plenty of water available so s/he can keep him/herself hydrated, and keep an eye on him/her for 24 hours. Hopefully the vet won't be charging that much tomorrow - it did sound pretty steep. I paid £25 for my cat to have a check up when he wasn't eating a few months ago, and another time I paid £60, but that was with some tablets as well.

Hope your guinea pig is okay.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby lidopig » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:09 am

My vet charges £22 for a consultation (without treatment) and £18 for a follow up,and that's for a dog!
You could look up the nearest branch of the PDSA (peoples dispensary for sick animals) who do fantastic work for free,asking only for a donation of what you can afford.This is to prevent needless suffering in sick animals,caused by pet owners who can't afford private vetinary care for their animals.
Much as I hate to mention it,the moral of the story is only keep pets if you can afford to treat them when they are sick.
lidopig
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby netballluva » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:05 pm

Thanks for your replys but my guinea died this morning. :cry:

Now me and my family are worried about the other guinea pig we have as they were kept together. For now we have put him in the cage with my rabbit and seem fine at the moment but im worried that the rabbit won't like it and attack him.

My mum took the rabbit and guinea pig to the vets this morning and he said that he probably couldnt have done anything to help him as little animals very rarely get better if they are ill.

Thanks again for replying xx
netballluva
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby chat noir » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:06 pm

Im sorry to hear about your loss ((((((hugs))))))
rabbits and guineas usually get on well, I saw them in pets at home the other day in the same hutch and they seemed fine!
chat noir
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Moose » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:18 pm

Sorry to hear your bad news Netballluvva. Just keep checking on your other 'pig and the rabbit. Like Chat Noir said, they are usually fine together - guinea pigs are supposed to live with other 'pigs or rabbits, but they get really lonely on their own, so you've done the right thing putting the remaining animals in together.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Pwif » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:30 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. Our pets are so important to us, because we can talk to them (sometimes more than to our family and friends).

I grew up with loads of animals. We had about 20 rabbits and lots of guinea pigs (plus lots of other animals). Our rabbits and guinea pigs got on very well. Introduce yours to each other, but keep a strict eye on them to start with to make sure that there are no problems. As Moose said, they do like company, but you just need to keep an eye on them.
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Pwif » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:03 am

Update. We never had problems with our rabbits and guinea pigs, and I know others who have put them together. However, I've just been informed by a 'guinea pig expert', that if the rabbit and guinea pig don't know each other, the rabbit will kill the guinea pig. Why not check at your local pet shop. They should be able to advise you.
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby netballluva » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:00 pm

Thanks for your replys! The rabbit and guinea don't know each other so we have decided to take the guinea out of the rabbits cage and for the moment he is in the cats travel box in my room with beding food and water!

We are getting a new indoor cage for him tommorow! :D xx
netballluva
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby netballluva » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:55 pm

So we got a new indoor cage and everything and on tuseday afternoon my mum noticed that something wasn't right with him either. He had been living in my room for the last couple days so he had company. And i had been getting him out everyday and he was running around and looked perfectly heathly.

So tuesday afternoon my mum took him to the vets and they said they didnt know what was wrong so they just gave hijm antiboitics. The next day he was so much worse. The vet had said to bring him back the next day. He died on the way to the vets. Im so sad i want him back. I know it seems stupid to get upset over a guinea pig but he was so lovely and i miss him :cry: :cry:
netballluva
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...