Birthdays

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Birthdays

Postby octavia » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:17 am

Every year on my birthday, instead of being happy, I nearly always spend the day obsessing about the cards I DIDN'T get then start feeling angry towards the friends or relatives who couldn't be bothered to send me one - even though I always send them one. This year colleagues at work didn't seem to want to bother just because I was actually off on the day, plus a brother and a sister too.

I'm the sort of person who would always go to the trouble to make sure someone else had their card from me. I wouldn't exactly say I am unpopular either although I don't go overboard singing and dancing about the event like some people - maybe I should.

It saddens me that my kindness and thoughtfulness is not repaid.
octavia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Lolly - Pop » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:56 am

I wouldn't let a few people spoil your birthday, I can see both side of this, when it's other people's birthday I always try and make that day special for them and hope that is the way I am treated. However my friends know I have a memory like a sieve and would easily forget their birthdays, it took me 8 years to learn the date of my best friends birthday!!!! I have had to creep a few times when I have forgotten. You don't have to be over the top in reminding people your birthday is coming just drop a few hints, try arranging a night out and when people ask say it's your birthday. I always bring in a tin of chocolates on my birthday to work to share out. It makes the office a much nicer place to work for the day.
Some people are just not card people, I don't get many cards off my family cause they 'don't do' cards for birthdays just Christmas ( i guess it's trying to remember them all to send). I still send them out but don't worry getting some back.
Plan something you really want to do on your birthday and look forward to than, anything else you get treat as a bonus, As I said before don't spoil your birthday worrying about cards 8)
Lolly - Pop
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

birthdays

Postby octavia » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:52 am

Thanks for the reply. I bet you wouldn't have a memory like a sieve if it was your lottery ticket you were cashing in. Its all about motivation isn't it? That's what's hurtful - the fact that these people can't be bothered. Should I say something? Their behaviour wont improve unless its pointed out to them - in a tactful way of course!
octavia
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Lolly - Pop » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:02 am

I think it's just me I am no good with dates, I often forget to play the lottery!! I am just an airhead at times.
Maybe they just don't think are birthday are that important. It's my friends birthday today I asked her was doing for it and she wasn't bothered she has never made a big deal of the day. If it's really bothering you then I would drop a few hints as your birthday is coming up
Lolly - Pop
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby yessica » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:27 pm

I know just how you feel! I'm always like that with my birthday! A made a new friend this year and I would say we're pretty close and she got my friend a card and some vouchers. When it came to me a day after my birthday.. "oh sorry i'll bring it in tomorrow". Next day I heard nothgin. The next day "oh sorry i've got it right here i just haevn't written it yet". A week later.. still nothing. It makes me feel really rubbish.

I love my birthday! And I think everyone should enjoy them. And so I do everything I can to make sure they enjoy them. When you think someone doesn't care about you and your happiness of course it get's you down!

I'm used to my family and best friends always making a big fuss out of me on my birthday - we all do it for each other. So when I came into school and my best friends were away (on a field trip) there were just my new friends who I don't know so well. They didn't mention my birthday at all when I first walked it which made me really sad. One out of the 5 gave me a bag with some smellies in (I always find them a bit impersonal) but atleast she made some effort. I almost cried.

But by lunch my best friends had come back with a cake and some really great presents so I felt good again but I still couldn't wait to see my boyfriend - he always makes everythng better.
:D Smile and the world smiles with you. Laugh and they all think you're on drugs :lol:
xoxoxox
yessica
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...