Help me with my interfering mother-in-law

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Help me with my interfering mother-in-law

Postby michelleb26 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:23 pm

My son is 3 months old and is the first grandchild for both my parents and my partner's parents.

My mother-in-law is beginning to really get to me. She doesn't work so thinks it's her right to visit or contact me nearly every day. It's got to the point now where I won't answer her calls.

I see my mother more than I do her and she is becoming a green eyed monster because of this! Of course I'm going to ask my mother for advice rather than her! She now sees this as some big competition between her and my mother. She's a very selfish person and will only do things for her gain, not putting my son'sneeds first.

Whenever we visit she completely takes over and I don't get a look in - I feel like some kid in the corner that has no say. She has to do every feed/change when I'm in her company which wouldn't be a bad thing if she did it properly! The last nappy she changed leaked everywhere & when she feeds my son she holds the bottle so high, I'm surprised that he can get any milk out of the teat which must be bent double in his mouth!

I know I need to get some backbone but I don't want to offend her, after all her intentions are good. My partner has tried to tell her but she doesn't listen.

It's getting to the point now where I'm winding myself up every time I think about it - I'm desperately in need of some advice as we are seeing her a lot over Xmas! :(
michelleb26
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Z3girl » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:37 pm

This is what I would do - Keep ignoring her calls as much as you can - when she nexts pops over and you dont want her there, just say im going out in a hour - meeting a friend - any excuse you can think off!

I think your boyfriend needs to have another word with her and not let it go until he has got through to her!

Put her right when she next feeds the baby - tell her he cant get any milk out if she holds the bottle like that!

stand your ground and do it soon otherwise you will make a rod for your own back!

Have a lovely Christmas!!!
He who dares, wins!!!!
Z3girl
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to And the rest...