Flirting with someone with low self esteem

For problems with any other type of relative, neighbours, teachers, the milkman!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Flirting with someone with low self esteem

Postby gatekeeper » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:31 am

If you're flirting with a good friend of yours and you like him. So basically just flirting to see if he likes you back. Most of the time, he doesn't say something back but it seems to like it. He'll like breathe faster, look away and smile. Is it a normal, polite response or an indication that he likes me back?

Also, he probably has low self esteem although it's not obvious if you don't know him well enough. He can break the ice very well, usually when he steps in, he'd be talking to people and is so confident, which is what I
like about him. :oops:

But if he calls someone and they don't pick up and don't call back, he'll start imagining that that person doesn't like talking to him or maybe there is some misunderstanding. I'd tell him that they could be busy or might be too tired and so on...Happens right?

Basically, very sensitive person, touchy about issues like not fitting in.
When people suggest that we should consider getting together, he'd tell them jokingly, "why would she want someone like me?"
He's confident about his personality but not his looks. He thinks he's fat and ugly and not good enough for any girl. Frankly, he is plump but I don't think he's ugly 'cos he's got nice eyes.

I don't know how to tell someone like him that I like him when he believes he's not good enough for a girl. He thinks I'm pretty, would say it indirectly like ask his friend, "do you think she's pretty?" They'd nod and he'll say "he thinks you're pretty, you happy now?" jokingly. If I tell him I like him, I don't want him to think it's pity. Like, "poor friend, he can't get a gf, I should say I like him." Please help.
gatekeeper
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby ti.amo » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:12 pm

hmmm, tis tough . . .

i would say how you feel, if he accuses you of saying it out of pity, you can deny it honestly, as well as ask if he hasn't noticed your flirting (?)

a paranoid mind isnt good with genuine feelings, but if you really like him, he should pick up on it :)

best of luck, hope this was helpful xx
:) Don't worry . . . be happy! :)
ti.amo
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Miki24601 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:05 am

I am exactly like your friend. Almost down to a tee. sort of eerie really.....

but anyway my advice to ask him out. If hes as like me as i think he is he'll be too shy to actually ask anyone out himself and would be delighted to be asked out. Go for it, if hes got low self esteem hes unlikely to say no anyway.

best of luck
Miki24601
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Moose » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:29 pm

Please note this topic was started in April 2006.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Return to And the rest...