It sounds crazy...

For problems with brothers and sisters!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

It sounds crazy...

Postby too many problems » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:00 pm

This sounds so crazy! You will probably think I am out of my mind. But the thing is, I have a cousin who I think may be my twin brother.

He is a year and a half younger than me, but he looks and acts at least two years older than he is. He is very tall for his age which is strange because no-one else in his family is. He is 12 and I am 14. We are the same height, in fact he is slightly taller than me. We look very similar to each other.

We both have Scottish first names with 7 letters. They also end in the same letter. Neither of us go by these names. I go by my middle name and he goes by a nickname.

He has never seen his birth certficate. Nor has he seen any pictures of himself where he is any younger than a year old. No-one has been able to give him a reason for this.

We both hate tomatoes. Both his parents and his little brother love tomatoes. So does my dad (his mums brother) but my mum (his aunt by marriage) loves them. Also he looks absolutely nothing like his dad (and has nothing in common with him), but slightly resembles both my parents.

My half brother is my mum's kid, therefore not a blood relative of my cousin. But they look very very similar. Way too similar for it to just be a coincidence.

My mum once said that when she had me, she wanted a girl so badly she didn't know how she would cope if she had had a boy. My brother was very troublesome as a child and she desperately wanted a little girl. Also she was 41 when she hadme, and I read that the older you are the more likely you are to have twins.

By now you probably think I should be locked up. But I just want advice on whether you think there could be anything in it, and how we can find out the truth. There is lots more "evidence" but I've already been rambling on for hours, so I won't bother.
too many problems
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Catherine » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:28 pm

argh babe, i really enjoyed reading your lil confusion there. he likes tomatoes, she doesnt, but he does, and she really likes tomatoes.

maybe it is all coincidence? you never know? and you wont find out asking any of us, you maybe need to be straight with your mum and just ak her. I'm pretty sure your mum (if you explain properly) will understand why you will think what you are thinking? you never know!

all the best and let me know how you get on with that....

ps how does your cousin feel about this? x
www.catherinewaddilove.piczo.com

You got the touch so gentle and sweet
But you've got that look so critical
Catherine
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby too many problems » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:55 pm

Sorry if I was confusing. He thinks it's very likely that we are twins as well. I forgot to mention that his mum, and both my parents, already know that we think we are twins. His little brother heard us discussing it and went and asked them. They have always just said "Don't be silly of course not" and refused to talk about it. But several times they have said things that kind of give it away. I just want to know if there is a simple, practical way of finding out for sure.
too many problems
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Catherine » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:04 am

Im not sure sure...being as your blood related. I dont know what to suggest.maybe you could type something in a search engine? x x x
www.catherinewaddilove.piczo.com

You got the touch so gentle and sweet
But you've got that look so critical
Catherine
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby umistgirl » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:51 am

Ring Trisha or Jeremy Kyle, they will do a DNA test for you!

No, seriously, don't - but the only unequivical way of knowing is a comparitive DNA test. I dont think you can have them done on the NHS and I think theyre at least £200 if you pay for them yourself.
Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
umistgirl
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby JayJay » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:51 am

DNA test would definitely be the best way to be absolutely sure. but if £200 is a bit out of your price range, then maybe you could just go and get both your birth certificates? compare them?

I needed mine three years ago for a school project I was doing at the time so I went to the Family Records Centre near me, searched for my name, paid £7 and a week later I picked it up. Pretty straight forward.

This way it might be a bit more accessible and cheaper for you and give you a bit more answers to your suspicions, but either way if youre still not satisfied, then maybe you could save up to get that DNA test. Do it if that'll put your mind at ease.

But I'd suggest get the certificates first, if things still seem a bit fishy, then show them to your parents. That way they might take your concerns more seriously and maybe help pay for your DNA test to put you at ease?
JayJay
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby too many problems » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:13 pm

I have already seen my birth certificate, theres a copy in the house. My cousin has not seen his and his mum says she "doesn't know where it is" which seems a bit strange. I'll mention the birth records place to him in case he knows of one near him. Thanks everybody!
too many problems
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Jess1234 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:16 pm

My and my cousin look identical yet i know for a fact that we are deffinately cousins. It may just be that you look very alike or you could be twins. I think the best bet is to find his birth certificate. Is his birthday near yours?
Hope everything works out ok!
Jess xXx
~ Vision is knowing who you are, where you are going, and what will guide your journey ~
Jess1234
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby too many problems » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:43 pm

As I said he is only 12 but looks and acts at least 14 (my age). His birthday is in July mine is in December. I know that this makes it seem very unlikely but there is so much evidence that we can't just ignore it.
too many problems
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to Siblings