Smoking?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Do you smoke?

Tried it but didnt like it?
14%
Yes
43%
No
43%

Total votes : 14

Smoking?

Postby ambie » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:06 pm

Just wondering what u all think about people smoking?
I've tried it and dont really see what all the fuss is about, I wouldnt say I didnt like it but then I couldnt imagine doing it everyday either! My mums smokes and has done for years and to be honest I have tried so many guilt trips to make her stop but as yet it hasnt worked!! Since someone closed to me died (not from smoking) I am so scared that I am going to lose my mum or she's going to become seriously ill from smoking! I now cant stand watching the adverts on the tv about smoking! I want my mum to live to see her grandchildren, I'm only 17 so she might have to live a few more years before that happens, I dont want to lose her! Write bk with your thoughts on smoking etc?
Plz reply soon!

Take care!!

Ambie!!
xXxXx
ambie
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby tammybligh » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:17 pm

I'm not a big fan of smoking. I've never tried it, and haven't ever wanted to. Most of my friends smoke, which concerns me as I fear for their health - but there's not a lot I can do about it... after all, it's their choice.

I think the thing that's always put me off (apart from the smell) is the fact that it could shorten my life. I feel that there are so many things in the world that can kill you, that you have no control over. Why heighten your chances of an early grave just for a cigarette. I feel the same way about drugs. Life's for living.....!

In a way I think it's sad that people feel that they need cigarettes and drugs to get through everyday life - but I suppose I've never had anything traumatic happen in my life that's made me feel I need to.

If I've offended anyone who does smoke then I apologise, that wasn't my intention. This is just my personal opinion.
tammybligh
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bubble » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:23 pm

Never tried, and doubt i ever will. It isn't a very nice habit. x
Nuff Love
*Donna*
xxxxx
Bubble
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby misatok11 » Thu Aug 21, 2003 2:50 pm

Addicted, tried to quit but failed miserably, consoled myself with a fag, not good. #-o
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sovs » Thu Aug 21, 2003 3:48 pm

Im addicted and am not going to try quitting till im over my post natal depression.
I think people put a lot of pressure on smokers to quit and it infuriates me, the adverts on tv make me really cross, what about people that drink and do drugs! thats worse. ](*,)
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby look_for_the_sunshine » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:03 pm

personally i think its horrible and there are better things 2 spend ur money on, but i dont hav anythin against ppl who do smoke, its up 2 them if they wana put their life at risk, but they shod think about others, if they are associating with non-smokers they shod hav the manners not 2 smoke so they dnt hav 2 inhale it.
'When it seems like things are gettin 2 much, look 2 the sky,and with every star you see there is hope n if there aint no stars then ur screwed!lol,soz not very hopefull!!!!!'

'If you have faith you have everything'
look_for_the_sunshine
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby MelodyLinn » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:19 pm

I've never tried it and never will. I'd rather have no cough, the risk of cancer reduced 12 times and spend that sort of money on things that i like, or need.

I too, like look_for_the_sunshine, think that they should think about other and not smoke around non-smokers. like in the airport for example, "NO SMOKING!" Is plastered all over the walls and is there for a reason. But smokers pay no attention to these and the speakers and continue to puff away on a cigarette while they let loads of other people choke to death on the awful fumes.

That's just one of millions of opinions...

MelodyLinn:roll:
MelodyLinn
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby sovs » Sat Aug 23, 2003 1:45 pm

When i smoke and am around people i actually stand back and breath smoke the other way.
My friend doesnt smoke and when im out with her i move away to do it.
Even when im in a resturant where certian parts are allowed to smoke, i still go outside.
Not everyone is ignorant and i certianly care about the people around me.
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby look_for_the_sunshine » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:09 pm

thats good sovs, very thoughtful :D
'When it seems like things are gettin 2 much, look 2 the sky,and with every star you see there is hope n if there aint no stars then ur screwed!lol,soz not very hopefull!!!!!'

'If you have faith you have everything'
look_for_the_sunshine
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby MelodyLinn » Sat Aug 23, 2003 2:27 pm

Sorry sovs, I wasn't saying that everyone is like that, I was just making a point of it...

MelodyLinn :roll:
MelodyLinn
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby misatok11 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 5:44 pm

I do the same as Sovs. If there are any children about i will go outside. :bounce:
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Macy24 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:33 pm

I smoke and have done since I was 12 so I have been smoking for 12 years now.
I have tried to quit on many occasions but I just don't have the will power to do it.

But when I'm out with people that don't smoke I either move to another part of the pub/restaurant or go outside.
I never smoke around my daughter as I don't want her to breathe it in.
You can't cheat death!
So why not join him!
Macy24
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby misatok11 » Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:35 pm

Even though alcohol causes more deaths than smoking each year, smokers tend to be victimised more which isn't right. I know we aren't being healthy but enough with all the warnings on the packets.
Need more warnings on drink, i say!
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Re. smoking

Postby aurora » Sat Aug 23, 2003 10:42 pm

I think there are worse things you can do. What annoys me nowadays is the two-faced attitude where the Government etc. are being more lenient towards cannabis users (I'm not being judgmental here, but it can have worse effects than tobacco) while at the same time trying to wipe ordinary smokers, who are not using an illegal substance, off the face of the earth. The anti-smoking lobby are being so self-righteous at the moment that it is enough to make people START smoking! People are going to have to go in shops and ask for "Twenty SMOKING KILLS, please" because the warnings on the packets are getting so big that you can't see the name of the cigs!
If they manage to ban smoking they will start banning all kinds of other things in a kind of health fascism. There has already been talk of taxing "unhealthy" food. Chocoholics beware! Non-smokers should also object to a ban on smoking because it is the thin edge of the wedge. There will be no freedom or choice in a while if this goes on.
My main problem with it is when people who smoke don't empty their ASHTRAYS! They're horrible when you don't smoke yourself, and get landed with emptying them.

Aurora
aurora
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby sovs » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:11 am

Maybe its worth moving to Jersey where its tax free :)
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Next

Return to Chit Chat