What do people think of the behaviour of brits abroad?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

What do people think of the behaviour of brits abroad?

Postby Beckyt » Mon Aug 25, 2003 7:23 pm

Just interested to know what people think of the behaviour of Brits abroad at resorts like Majorca, Ibiza, Ayia Napa and most recently Faliraki. There's been lots of focus in the news about the antics of us Brits so what do you all think?
Personally I think that kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable. Ok so have a damn good time but why the need to destroy places and make places a misery for everyone else? What do people think? Is it really as bad as people make out?
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Deadman001 » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:04 pm

I think a lot of the things that's been in the news lately has been blown out of all proportion.

I was in ibiza a few weeks ago and while some ppl were quite wild in mentality i hardly saw any violence (In fact in the space of 2 weeks i dont think i saw anywhere near as much as i'd see in glasgow over the same timescale)

To be honest all the bad publicity 18-30's have recieved over the summer will just boost their sales for next year, some of it just seems like a set up to me.
"I laugh in the face of danger, then i hide until it goes away" -> Xander

"Lay it down, I've always been with you
Hear me now, With all that's within you
Be my savior, And I'll be your downfall"
Deadman001
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby MelodyLinn » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:05 am

Hiya, I feel that the behaviour of most brits is disgraceful. I went to Rhodes a couple of weeks ago. Falaraki was like a total town of drunks destroying things that lay in their way and shouting abusive things at each other. I agree with Beckyt. It just ruins other peoples holiday.
MelodyLinn
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby X_Smiler_X » Tue Aug 26, 2003 10:09 am

It's okay to have a good time, but half the stuff I've heard is Over The Top. Some people go on holiday for quiet, some go for the nightlife..but either way, the behaviour of some people is terrible.
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby tammybligh » Tue Aug 26, 2003 2:24 pm

I went to Faliraki last summer with 5 of my friends, and I was appauled by the behaviour of some of the brits over there. I don't know how the locals put up with it. It's no wonder that some countries hate us!

I think that all this stuff in Rhodes has just come to a head - there was only so much the Greek authorities were gonna put up with. Now they've said enoughs enough and started making examples of people!!

As usual, the minority have ruined it for the majority. It's the same old story!! #-o
tammybligh
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby sovs » Tue Aug 26, 2003 11:05 pm

I do think that some brits act in a disgracful manner on holiday, but then i think they do here as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I didnt see the harm in the girl getting her boobs out on holiday though, that i read in the paper today an got arrested for it, because they all do it on the beach and some girls go out in see through tops although tweaking her nipples did take it a bit to far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby X_Smiler_X » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:59 pm

I see what your saying, girls lay on the beach topless, but then that girl got arrested cos she flashed her boobs.
It was a bit over the top, considering it was a thong contest! Lol
Smile at life, and life will smile back at you.
X_Smiler_X
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:22 pm

The Brits abroad are disgusting at times. From what i've seen on the news it's no wonder why countries seem to dislike us.

Just because you're abroad, it doesnt give you the incentive to be able to go and act like a complete fool, or flash yourself at the general public.

What also annoys me is the Brits on aeroplanes. Getting drunk...etc. I've already decided i'd prefer not to fly for a charter airline once i'm a fully qualified pilot because charter airlines carry the worst set of passengers (18 - 30) and if faced with passengers like that i'd just have zero tolerance with them. Anything out of order from them and i'd divert and offload them.

I think that fining, and putting the holiday makers in a cell for a night or two is perfect! The same would happen if they acted like that in their home land, so why should the rules abroad be any different?

All the best

Ashley
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Beckyt » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:05 am

I must admit that I think drunks on planes are way too scary! Not only do they get really over the top but it spoils the rest of your journey because you can't avoid them in such a confined space. It's not fair on people with families either, to have their kids exposed to this rubbish.

I think alcohol ought to be banned on chartered flights

I agree with Captain flynn about his ideas on zero tolerance.
Don't worry be happy!!!
Beckyt
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby saz » Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:51 pm

I am ashamed to be british because of the recent behaviour of some people, home and abroad.

I have to say though, when i was 18 and drunk i used to flash my boobs all the time. It was fun. I can see why they all get so carried away on holiday and to be honest, if you dont like that sort of thing, dont go to areas where they are doing it! i wouldnt take my children to that sort of resort and out to naughty beaches, bars and clubs. Obviously i am not in support of sexual acts being performed in full view of the public even if you are up for a laugh it would be horrible.

I am so ashamed of the way football yobs have been behaving lately. It will get to the point where England will be banned from everything and everywhere and no one will be allowed to come here either for their own safety. People must be starting to get frightened of the brits. I am not a sports fan, but i think it is such a shame that a few yobs are ruining sport for people who really love it and can behave properly.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:19 pm

Hey Saz,

Thats an interesting point that you mentioned about not taking kids to such areas were disgusting things go on, but isn't it right to actualy follow the implemented laws? Avoiding the place is the right thing to do if you have children, but why should families be subjected to missing out on nice places to go on holiday just because a few inane crass minded individuals can't act in a sensible manner when abroad? Just because someone steps on to a plane, crosses a boarderline, it doesn't mean that the laws changed and it doesn't give the right for the British holiday makers to make complete idiots of themselves.

Regarding the football fans. It's just made to look worse than it really is. I find it really ironic how the FA threaten English fans with bans and also saying that England might well have to play games behind closed doors. It's really ironic because of the fact that there are much worse places like Turkey where the fans actually make threats before games even start (weeks in advance) A Turkish team called Galatasary (not sure if I spelt it right) has fans that have nicknamed their home ground as "hells couldron" and they were in actual fact guilty of killing a few English fans in a European game a few years ago, yet the FA didn't take any action against them! English fans are just targetted in my opinion and it's not right, especially when the Turks do a whole lot worse.

Beckyt,

I'm not only for alcohol to be banned on just chartered flights, but also on scheduled flights too! However, the worst airlines are charter airlines simplistically because they offer the "18 - 30" holidays and therefore get alot of young people flying with them (most of which are immature) however scheduled flights get their fair share of bad passengers also! I'm glad you agree to my zero tolerance idea, so if you're on one of my flights in the future and someones bothering you, just tell me and I'll offload them ;)

All the best,

Ashley
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby saz » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:22 pm

I totally agree with you Captain but my point was that families should be able to go to Faliraki and have a nice time but parents shouldn't ever take children into the nightlife area, everyone law abiding or not. You will still find couples snogging, drunken yobs puking and lewd dancing (even at Butlins i bet).

Personally, i think that when you go abroad with children (and i have a child here so dont all go mad) you shouldn't keep them up until all hours and take them into smokey loud places. You should go to the beach and swimming pool etc during the daytime and then all settle down at a nice time upstairs. That is my personal view and what i will be doing! If people want to go out and get drunk and stay up half the night, a) dont have kids and b) dont take them abroad!!!

Resorts cater for all types of holiday makers and there are places for families and places for the 18-30's lot. Unfortunately the two at night dont mix. When i went to Aiya Napa a couple of years ago (childless) i was horrified to find families walking through the main square at 11pm. You wouldn't take your kids out at night in Britain so why abroad?
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sovs » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:24 pm

Thats a good point. I would be very scared if there was a drunk on a plane with me.
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:26 pm

I have more to say, sorry!

People today have no respect for anyone. For example, when walking down the street where i live, kids have spat at me for fun. They shout at everyone and swear constantly. A 10 year old boy threw a stink bomb in a lift at me when i was 8 1/2 months pregnant in a shopping centre. Me and my friends would never ever have spoken to anyone they way they do today.

It is scary to think that if we think the faliraki brits (etc) lot are bad now, just think about the next generation of horrible kids who will be doing it in a few years. We are creating generations of monsters i am serious. It is only going to get worse unless parents sort out their children's behaviour. No point blaming the sausage police/teachers/social services - it starts at home.
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby sovs » Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:40 pm

I know.
My husband went out to his car about 1pm the other day and a boy was walking along with a pot of minstrals and bunch of kids (between 10 and 12) came over on their bikes knocked him over and start shouting racist abuse.
This is shocking, and how can parents bring there kids up to speak like that?
If its like this now, what will the world be like in another 20 years :-?
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Next

Return to Chit Chat