Another room

Are you a registered user having trouble using the forums? Come here to ask for support, especially if something doesn't work as expected.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Another Room?

Yes
15%
No
60%
Doesn't bother me
25%

Total votes : 20

Postby Mr.L » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:01 pm

Hmm another website.... Maybe if anyone was interested lol. Werebetterthanyou.com? Nah lol

I dont know ok maybe not another room just how about more leanience when it comes to some topics? More graphic ones instead of an instant deletion why not leave it? No one here is intending to post anything intending to offend but sometimes ideas are bigger than bombs as Stalin said and sometimes it just feels as if certain things are unmentionable, like drugs, sex and graphical accounts.
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Moose » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:00 pm

So, to sum up, I think you're suggesting this:

Freedom to discuss political, religious etc stuff without topics being locked or posts deleted
Freedom to post about sex (in the problem forums, or in chit chat?) without topics being locked or posts deleted
Freedom to argue with other members without topics being locked or posts deleted

Is that right, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

You've been around here a while, Mr L, and you say you've been part of arguments and stuff, so you must have seen how personal people get, and indeed why posts are deleted or topics locked. I personally feel that locking topics that get out of hand or deleting/editing posts is a good idea because first and foremost, this is a site for problems: a site that vulnerable people visit. I've been on problem-type sites where people have argued like mad because there are fewer moderators, and people have ended up posting stuff like "You've ruined my life!", which is a bit dramatic, but if you're upset anyway and someone argues with you or criticises you, that can tip you over the edge.

PP is great for serious stuff and light-hearted stuff, and even though some people might not think that a lot of the Chit Chat topics are particularly taxing, there have been some debates that have worked out perfectly well and have been interesting. I've only ever taken it that mods just want members to post with respect towards other members and not deliberately post antagonistic stuff. I don't think they expect anyone to just sit down, shut up, and only post about the weather.

Personally, I feel that if people want to debate stuff or post about graphic problems, they should look elsewhere on the net. If this site did start allowing more content like that, there would have to be a separate room, but as Catherine pointed out, then you'd have the younger regulars feeling left out.

I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on this one.
Moose
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby all_apologies » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:24 pm

Mr.L wrote:I dont know ok maybe not another room just how about more leanience when it comes to some topics? More graphic ones instead of an instant deletion why not leave it? No one here is intending to post anything intending to offend but sometimes ideas are bigger than bombs as Stalin said and sometimes it just feels as if certain things are unmentionable, like drugs, sex and graphical accounts.

Generally speaking, we do allow sexual posts, we just don't like people giving step-by-step instructions. I've had a look through our moved topics section and the only ones that are removed are usually blatant wind ups. More often than not, we just post a reminder in the topic asking that the posts don't go into too much graphic detail.

Posts on drugs would only be removed if someone, for instance, was advocating drug use. We want to offer constructive advice, and this is the reason such posts would be removed.

If there is a sexual/drug related problem you'd like to share, we're always happy to offer our advice if you keep the above in mind!

PS. I also think Moose makes a good point about forums that have little or no moderation. I use a few other forums and they can be very, very messy and difficult to follow when there aren't any rules.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mr.L » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:14 pm

Moose you've got it wrong open your mind yeah.

(Fidel man back me up!)

Moose Said:
Freedom to discuss political, religious etc stuff without topics being locked or posts deleted
Freedom to post about sex (in the problem forums, or in chit chat?) without topics being locked or posts deleted
Freedom to argue with other members without topics being locked or posts deleted

Political and religious yes, sex is already allowed as long as its not a technique guide right? and freedom to argue not neccessarily, were allowed to debate, arguing is too strong a word. Me and Fidel debated really just it was heated. Im not saying to leave out younger members but if they read it its their choice it shouldnt be locked because its unsuitable. Modding is good yes but too many cooks spoil the broth? There has been a dramatic inscrease in mods since ive left and you all have different views and power which i feel sometimes is thrown about too much. I will not name names but one thing i will name is i think you should be more like Enigma was. Also why would i want to pm a moderator about my problems when i could get more views and open opinions on the forums?
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby misatok11 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:41 pm

Moderators are here to sort out problems outwith the normal sense of the forum. Be it complaints about other members, Posts that do not adhere to the forum rules and other things to keep the site running smoothly.

Remember above all we are also users of the site and we do have our own problems too. We do this in our spare time to keep the site going. We do this because we love the site and it has given us a lot back.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:49 pm

Mr.L wrote:Moose you've got it wrong open your mind yeah.

(Fidel man back me up!)

Political and religious yes, sex is already allowed as long as its not a technique guide right? and freedom to argue not neccessarily, were allowed to debate, arguing is too strong a word. Me and Fidel debated really just it was heated. Im not saying to leave out younger members but if they read it its their choice it shouldnt be locked because its unsuitable. Modding is good yes but too many cooks spoil the broth? There has been a dramatic inscrease in mods since ive left and you all have different views and power which i feel sometimes is thrown about too much. I will not name names but one thing i will name is i think you should be more like Enigma was. Also why would i want to pm a moderator about my problems when i could get more views and open opinions on the forums?

At the moment, the site is suitable for everybody, of all ages. This is what Jo, the owner, always intended, and it works well. It would be irresponsible if more adult subjects were made available to children without some sort of checks or control - it is not enough to say "it's their choice whether or not they read it", you'd get a lot of unhappy parents!

Debate is encouraged, as long as it doesn't turn into a slanging match, with points of view being dismissed and denigrated.

I'm not sure how your thread has turned into an attack on the mods :roll: , but never mind. Have you checked out how many of the mods are regularly active? Not all of them, by any means, and they're not here 24/7. Members are very welcome to say if they feel intimidated by the mods! I'm delighted to hear of your high opinion of Enigma, now that IS one point Fidel will argue with you! :wink:

Finally, I'm not sure who has told you to pm a moderator with any problems...? Usually, PPers only pm the mods if they have a problem with anything to do with the website, or just for a good chinwag away from the public forum...

As you can see, nobody has suggested locking this thread! So keep the debate coming, but DO listen to other people's opinions.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pwif » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:10 pm

Very simple reply from me. I agree totally with Peecee, Moose, All_Apologies, Catherine, Misatok11.

PP is currently working very well, and it covers issues for a wide range of ages and problems, including very sensitive issues. The mods are doing an exceptional job in monitoring the site (unpaid, don't forget), and far better than any other 'problem site' that I have seen.

To open it up to more adult/explicit/graphic subjects would require a lot of policing (in more ways than one), and could attract the wrong people posting.

There are plenty of 'adult' websites around, and anyone wanting to broaden their 'adult' postings, should (to my mind) visit these sites.

This topic has been live for a couple of days, and only two people have posted in its favour. I have seen nothing at all in this thread that has demonstrated it will improve PP, so my whole-hearted response is 'NO'. If Mr L and Fidel wish to debate more heated topics, e-mail each other.
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Fidel » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:48 pm

I don't even care any more.

It's obvious that there's never going to be any room for suggestion/debate on the running of this thing. Some people aren't wild enough to stray from the ordinary.
Last night I dreamt that somebody loved me.
Fidel
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Catherine » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:04 am

And I think thats exactly what makes this site great....Hurah for the ordinary! =D> =D>

(come on who's with me?)
www.catherinewaddilove.piczo.com

You got the touch so gentle and sweet
But you've got that look so critical
Catherine
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby peecee » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:24 am

Catherine wrote:And I think thats exactly what makes this site great....Hurah for the ordinary! =D> =D>

(come on who's with me?)

Catherine, I don't think there's ANYBODY ordinary on PP! :P :P

Fidel, there are 28 posts in this thread so far - how many do we need before it turns into a debate...?
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby misatok11 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:51 pm

Fidel, its not case of straying away from the ordinary its a case of looking after the majority of our members.
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Pwif » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:16 pm

Catherine wrote:And I think thats exactly what makes this site great....Hurah for the ordinary! =D> =D>

(come on who's with me?)

Catherine, I'm with you, and well put. What's the point of destroying a format that already works for the majority of PPers for the sake of a minority. I repeat; there are other websites for more 'wild/adult' postings. I also agree with 'Adapt' and 'Improve' where appropriate. IMO, the suggestions in this thread are not appropriate and do not improve the well being for most PP posters.
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Mr.L » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:33 pm

I hate utilitarianism... I give up
Pretty Girls Make Graves
Mr.L
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby misatok11 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:39 pm

but it works.