Typical!

For problems with brothers and sisters!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Typical!

Postby Still_in_Chains » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:06 pm

:roll:

For months, it's been planned that my husband and I will be going to his work's Christmas do on 15th December. We've been every year since he started working there, 3 (4?) years ago.

The company not only pay for their employees but also their partners/spouses meal and overnight in the hotel. It's a mass booking so many take it up because the location is the most central point in relation to where staff live.

Anyway, usually, my Mum has stayed over to care for our two sons but for this year I told my husband I was no longer comfortable her minding our children because I fear I'd be expected to repay the debt. I'm not talking money, chocolates, flowers or thank yous but caring for her in her old age which I can't do as I've got a severely disabled child to care for - long story, probably on another post on here somewhere. So, we booked our eldest son into respite for that evening and we were going to ask my middle brother if our youngest son could stay over at his house (he's stayed there before and loved it; he adores my brother).

Well, the brother in question came round a little while ago with an invitation to his and his girlfriend's engagement... on 15th December! Aaarrggghhh!

Which one would I want to go to - the engagement do! Although I enjoy staying over in the hotel, with my husband's Christmas do the evening itself is pretty boring. His co-workers and partners, although friendly enough to say hello, don't really mix much unless they really know other couples very well. I have tried mixing with them but very often get a one or two word response and there's never been any dialogue.

I'm also more keen on the engagement do because I'll be the only sibling there. My youngest brother doesn't like our middle brother's girlfriend. Fair enough, we can't like everyone but it's so bad with him that he won't visit my parents if she's there and he said he won't stand for best man if our middle brother marries his girlfriend. Basically, he's dictating to our middle brother who he can't spent his life with, coupled with emotional blackmail, "If you marry her, we don't have a relationship." But, that's his business no matter what I think, so, for our middle brother, I'd really like to be there for him.

I emailed my husband and he said we'll talk about it tonight so I hope he can see my POV and not be upset about my not wanting to go to his work's Christmas do this year.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for reading.

Still
Previously known as Im_in_Chains
Still_in_Chains
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby LME79 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:32 am

Sorry it has taken so long to reply - has everything been sorted now?
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby Still_in_Chains » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:15 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Yeah, we're going to the engagement so I'm well pleased about that. Sod's Law that it was the same day as something else but that was nowhere near as important so we cancelled that.
Previously known as Im_in_Chains
Still_in_Chains
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to Siblings