Song Covers

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Song Covers

Postby Enigma » Tue Sep 16, 2003 9:21 pm

What is your opinion about modern day artists covering and remaking songs which have been released previously?

What are your favourite covers and why?

What cover songs do you dislike and what's the reason for this?

What songs do you think should be covered and which songs should never ever be covered?
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby saz » Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:22 pm

I have mixed feelings on this subject. I think that some covers are very good but some of the pop-crap out there at the moment just makes me cringe. I can't stand hearing Westlife murder another cover song and for some reason they all sound exactly the same.

I do like it when (i am not very up on the lingo here people) bands cover classic pop - like that group Ant Farm something did Michael Jackson smooth criminal and i loved it. Also some band has done Genie in a Bottle (C.Aguleria) rock style and it is great. I used to love Garage music and when artists remix a good song in another style it can be explosive. Will Youngs cover of Light My Fire was good.

I cant stand hearing a group simply sing a cover in the ballady, harmony slushy way they do all their songs. Like Gareth Gates trying to sing an Elvis cover. Plurlease - there is no comparison and Gareth just looks stupid. And please, no more old Elvis songs remixed with a dance track to go on and on repetitively singing the same part of the sausage chorus.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Lorelei » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:39 pm

I think rock versions of pop songs are quite funny, like 'Genie in a Bottle', as Saz said. I also heard a rock version of Kate Bush's 'Wuthering Heights' which I thought was amusing. Doing something really different with a song like that for fun is excusable. When the Presidents of the USA covered 'Video Killed the Radio Star' it was okay. Not as good as the original, but they didn't change the format that much and so showed some respect for the song.

BUT I don't like modern, flash- in- the- pan pop bands covering classic songs or, EVEN WORSE, altering them to suit themselves. Samantha Mumba's butchery of David Bowie's 'Ashes to Ashes', for example, was a crime against music and SUCH a cheek! I mean, does she think she can improve on one of the best known songs of a man who has been an icon for decades? And the Sugababes' misguided mutilation of a Gary Numan song is no better. That sort of thing annoys me. Sorry, I'll stop ranting now! Heehee!xxx
Lorelei
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby sovs » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:19 pm

I hate groups copying songs. Originals are always the best.
I think it was Five that did a cover on We will rock you. Boy did that annoy me. It's a brilliant song and in my opinion is nothing without Freddy Mercury singing it.
Oh and those two left at the end of pop idol, Will and Garth, all i seem to hear of them is cover songs, because any they do write are rubbish in my opinon.
And atomic kitten copyed two recently with The tide is high, and Eternal flame.
People hear the songs and think there good, but they know nothing of the people who originally sung them.
There are people out there with great musical talent and cant get in to the buisness, but you get penty of brainless idiots copying songs and getting on stage because their good looking and willing to flash some flesh!
sovs
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:54 pm

How does that compare to when songs have samples from other songs or when they use melodies from other songs?

A great many songs nowadays do lift elements from other songs. Will Smith, for example, does this in many of his songs - if not all of them. Electronic music involves greatly in sampling other music, it is one of the conventions of the genre.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Llisa » Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:55 am

They say that immitation is the sincerist (sp?) form of flattery...oh puh-lease! What ever happened to toriginality? It seems to me like artists of today are just running out of ideas so they sit down and flip through some old records, trying to figure out how they could "modernize" a particular song.
So that's what I have to say about the matter! :wink:
HE has all the answers

The wait for that perfect someone may be long and painful, but the payoff lasts even longer, and is the most painless thing in the world.
Llisa
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby saz » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:24 am

Hi everyone
I do love a bit of sampling - for instance michael jacksons vocals are often used (SWV - Right Here, i think) which is good and yeah rap artists can often make good music using bits of vocals and melodies. Also, will smith is very tongue in cheek and really comercial so you have to like his songs!

How about Puff Daddy's every breath you take song. I know it was in memory of his friend who died, but the original was far more emotional and for me, the copy was terrible. People really love PDiddy's version though and have it at weddings and things!

Also, i loved the Bangles when i was younger and hated Atomic Kittens rip off of Eternal Flame. No one could ever sing it better.
Doesn't really matter what the eye is seeing
cos i'm in love with the inner being
saz
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Stacker » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:19 pm

I really hate cover versions.
Half the time they are really chessey and done by 12 year olds who probably don't know who sung the original anyway.

Take Gareth Gates,Robson and Jerome's take on unchained melody,they all ruined it by making it sound like it was a song from a cartoon or something.

Or even Whitney houstons I will always love you,it was awful.I can't believe such drivel can stay NO.1 in the charts for 16 weeks.
Actions speak louder than words.
Stacker
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby misatok11 » Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:43 pm

Cover versions are good they dont have to be sung in the style they were originally presented in.
Take George Michaels "Faith," It was done in a completely different style by Limp Bizkit.
I also like Marilyn mansons cover of tainted love.
Different styles can be good and also bad, Gareth Gates "spirit in the Sky" anyone?
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Sami » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:56 pm

hey,
I dono i think u always like the song u hear first the best cos i loved robinson and jeromes cover of unchained melody and hated gareth gates. I also love the Bangles Eternal Flame :rofl: because i grew up with it being played all the time by my parents - its my mum's song, and though i wudnt go as far as hating atomic kittens version i really didnt think it did the song justice.
We have to do a presentation in music on a song that has had cover version's done. :doubt: Does anybody have any ideas, im tryna think of something that everybody will know but not everybody will be doing. thanx! :p
Everybody has their day, When things just seem 2 go their way, An angel's gonna smile on me when it's meant 2 b, Cos anythings possible, No matter how incredible, U never no hu i mite meet, On this crowded street! Life goes on,Like a song! :bounce:
Sami
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby misatok11 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:10 pm

Tainted Love by marilyn Manson (cover)
White wedding by the murder dolls (cover)
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Daftness2k3 » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:37 pm

I preferred the Guns and Roses cover of Sympathy for the Devil to the Rolling Stones original...does that make me evil? lol
Daftness2k3
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

First Cut is the Deepest

Postby Sami » Thu Oct 02, 2003 5:59 pm

Hey again! :wink:
Does anybody have the notes (piano) for 'the first cut is the deepest' or know where I could get them? I love that song, all the versions, i like sheryl crow's the most at the moment because i like her voice and it's more modern, the only thing is she's taken a line out of the chorus, 'when it comes to bein loved she's first.'
Thanx :biggrin:
Everybody has their day, When things just seem 2 go their way, An angel's gonna smile on me when it's meant 2 b, Cos anythings possible, No matter how incredible, U never no hu i mite meet, On this crowded street! Life goes on,Like a song! :bounce:
Sami
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby misatok11 » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:16 pm

Try typing it in google!
misatok11
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Enigma » Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:39 pm

So far I have located the guitar chords/tabs, and will continue my search for the piano manuscript.
Enigma
Taken Root
Taken Root

Next

Return to Chit Chat