My little brother

For problems with brothers and sisters!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

My little brother

Postby misskrystal » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:11 pm

I'm not sure whether I need advice, or just to vent, but I'm troubled by my little brother at the moment.

He's actually my half brother, he's 17, in college and lives with my dad and his mum. Lately he seems to have gone off the rails a little. He quit his college course last year because he didn't like it and started a new one a couple of months ago, but it doesn't seem to be going well, as he's consistently late and misses lessons. I don't think he's gonna last much longer tbh. If he does quit, I doubt very much that he's gonna want to find a job, which worries me because I want him to have a great future and he can't do that by sponging off his parents.

He's recently started taking driving lessons, but whenever my dad takes him out, he'll start speeding and just doesn't listen when my dad tells him not to. It worries me as he doesn't seem to appreciate the fact that he can't possibly pass his test this way (as well as it being dangerous and illegal).

Recently he's been spending a lot of time with a female friend who has a serious boyfriend. The bf has already made it clear that he doesn't approve of the friendship and does not want my brother at his house, yet every day after college, by brother's there until the bf comes home from work.

He's also becoming difficult at home, arguing with his parents and basically showing no respect (I think he has unrealistic impressions of the cost of living and assumes that he could leave home tomorrow and find a home and a job, without any real qualifications or experience).

I suppose I'm just concerned about the person he's turning into; he doesn't respect authority, doesn't seem to be concerned about providing for his future and is putting himself in an awkward position with his friends relationship.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
misskrystal
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:52 am

Well you could point all this out to him but I doubt he'll listen
Your parents have to give tough love
Next time he speeds on a driving lesson your dad should say i will not take you out for another month and every time you do this it will be another month until you get another lesson
He obviously likes the girl and she shouldn't encourage it i don't think you can make him listen on this one
Is he taking drugs or anything , perhap if smoking puff it would make him lazy and tired
As for cost of living get a paper and ring a few of the rooms for rent and show him how much it would cost to live in someone else house where he wouldn't have the freedom as he does at home
You parents need to be tackling most of these issues though
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Siblings