Weird voice

For any problem to do with being 16 or under.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Weird voice

Postby JennaXXX » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:30 pm

This might sound silly but it's really getting me down. I am from London and have lived here all my life.Yet over the years about 5 people have said that I have a accent and most think it is a northern one.I didn't think much of it because only 5 people at the most commented on it.Yet as I have got older there have been more and more comments. At my job (which I hate) I only have to say a sentance and people go *You've got an accent, where are you from?* Today 3 people asked me. Also some of the kids take the lemonade out of my voice as I sound different when I say things. It really embarasses me and makes me feel like a bit of a freak. I am chronically shy and knowing I have a strange voice just contributes to the problem.Would it be worth looking into speech therapy for adults? Or is there a way of me changing my voice? It really destroys my confidence knowing I sound so odd.

:(
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby brfc » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:12 am

sounding like your from the north doesnt sound odd. ive lived down south for 15 years now but still have a lancashire accent. im proud of it. :D my advice is to let freinds fit in with you. any friend worth there salt would accept you for who you are. accent and all.
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby pink stripes » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:22 am

brfc wrote:sounding like your from the north doesnt sound odd. ive lived down south for 15 years now but still have a lancashire accent. im proud of it. :D my advice is to let freinds fit in with you. any friend worth there salt would accept you for who you are. accent and all.

Yeah I agree - I remember when my brother moved to Birmingham - he got ripped so much because he still had the accent from where he used to live but soon people just got used to it. It shouldn't matter what accent you have because its part of you :)

--x
pink stripes
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby HappyGoLucky » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:15 am

Don't be ashamed of it. You've got an accent and be proud and happy with it! :D

Your friends will soon get used to it. Like brfc said, any friend should accept you for who you are, accent and all.
Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get!
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Weasley » Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:53 pm

I'm originally from the US and have lived in England for just over 10 years now but still have an accent! When I first moved people made fun of me also, calling me names etc but as I grew up my accent started to fade (I still have a twang). I just thought, "You know what? You make fun of me because I'm different to you. There is something unique about me, something you don't have and you're jealous." After that I stopped caring what people thought. Jobs I work in people are like "Where are you from?" and "Are you American?" My answer is yes! And I'm darn proud of it and having something different about me!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby JennaXXX » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:32 pm

Thanks everyone.It just really embarasses me.Especially when people are like this :o when I say I have lived in London all my life. I'm not sure if it is an accent though or a kind of speech impediment.For example when I say *news* it comes out as *nose* and *grace* as *grass* It stops me from wanting to speak.Sometimes I feel like lying and saying that I have a parent who is from up north just so people dont keep on and on about it :(
Whatever life throws at you, smile, hold your head up high and be the best you can possibly be.
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby HappyGoLucky » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:51 am

I think lying about it doesn't really help.

Others will get used to your accent but most importantly, you should accept yourself too, accent and all.
Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get!
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Pwif » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:10 pm

I've moved around England a lot and also lived in Germany. I've picked up accents wherever I've been, so lots of people have asked me where I've come from. I personally don't have a problem with that, because it shows that they're showing an interest in me. Sometimes we don't know how to start a conversation, so we might discuss the weather, what was on TV last night, clothes, hairstyles, sport, where we come from, what school/uni we were at, family etc etc. Just take the questions as a sign that the person wants to have a conversation with you. Once you've told them where you're from, the conversation will naturally move onto other things.
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby LaughinLoud » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:05 am

hey i only lived down south (daaaarn saaaaath) for a couple o' years but people still take the lemonade outta ma accent, it's kinda ironica actually cos up here i get people takin the mick outta ma strange accent, ma nan (who lives in south wales) takes the mick n all n when i used to visit an aunt (down south) them lot all used to the mick n all

simple answer? tell em to shut up or take the mick outta their accent

*starts singin*
you say tomatoe 'n' a say tomatooo
*and so on and so forth*

accents aren't important, just find somat funny to take the mick outta in their accent, usually you'll get it with things like scones (sconn/scone type of thing)

xxxxxx
LaughinLoud
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby JennaXXX » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:13 pm

Thanks for the replies.It really is getting to me now.I know I need to learn to live with it but it's so embarassing.I hate my voice so much and it stops me from doing so many things.I wish I just sounded normal.Its another thing that makes me feel like a freak,especially as I have been single all my life and am still living at home,look like a 12 year old with no boobs etc.. :(
JennaXXX
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:43 am

you could go for elocution lessons if you reall don't want to put up with it naymore
they can train you how to speach differently.
Margaret Thatcher had it, she was common but she was made to sound all posh.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby jampot » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:52 pm

JennaXXX wrote:look like a 12 year old with no boobs etc.. :(

i wish i had no boobs!!!! you are so lucky!

i have stupidly big boobs and they aint good! i get back pain, dirty men coming after me, my boobs walk into things-just my boobs. i get bruises off my underwire if i slouch too much, my shoulders have grooves in them from my bra straps because of the weight of them, and once, i even managed to shut one in a door. the bruise off that was mental! i was drunk though....
That's Me!
jampot
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby jampot » Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:53 pm

i must sound SO attractive!!! :oops:
That's Me!
jampot
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby bellajennie » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:36 pm

Accents can often be a conversation starter. I live in wales, with a broad yorkshire accent. My friends love taking the mick out of me, but people would only do this in front of you if they loved you to bits (otherwise it's just mean). Take it as a sign of affection, if they can be bothered to jest at you lightly, must mean they think you are comfortable in their company.

Personally, I cannot utter the word 'toast' without making someone howl with laughter. I use it to my advantage, especially if they've got a mouth full....
The World is Your Oyster - If only you could get the damn thing open!
bellajennie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Ogadai » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 am

something quite similar happened to me when i went on a cruise to hawaii. i was the only british boy on there, there were 2 other girls but they were from london too. all the american kids loved my accent, they joked about it infront of me, but not the girls. they waited until the girls had left to mimick their accents so it's obvious that they didn't really like them. if people can joke about you in your company then they like you, it's as simple as that.
Time. Time is an artificial construct. An arbitrary system based on the idea that events occur in a linear direction at all times. Always forward, never back. Is the concept of time correct? Is time relevant?
Ogadai
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Next

Return to Under 16s