No to suicide

For problems with mental or emotional well being.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Postby momo1 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:13 pm

its not always that easy to say no i did try to once along time ago when i was 16 one of my mates brothers found me in time we all feel down at some point some of us more than orthers

I know i put in my last message that the only thing satopping me doing it now is my kids but i have had time to think and i now no that in my case no man is worth it.

I now have respect for myself and i feel alot better and if they dont like that tough
K.T.F ALWAYS
momo1
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby mollym » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:14 pm

There have been times where I've wished I wasn't here but as someone who had someone attempt suicide who i care about i always just remember how I felt about that. I was so angry and upset, I'd never want to put anyone I cared about through that. suicide is a selfish act, it doesn't get rid of your problems, you just leave them all behind for the people who cared about you to try and deal with. And they will never get any answers.
mollym
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Brighter » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:28 pm

You're post nearly made me cry...but in a good way
You are so right
No To Suicide

BiChemical
My heart is yours
Brighter
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby lovefool » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:15 pm

I agree with the no to suicide. Although there are major flaws with the mental health system i do believe there is more help available than there was say 20 years ago. I also feel some people may have a genuine mental illness that drives them to commit suicide but there is also the other side of the scale. There is teenages who commit suicide almost in revenge when a boyfriend dumps them, imaganing the grief stricken people surrounding there grave. I read about a girl last year who commited suicide because she couldnt watch her favouraite tv programme. I think people need to be educated on the devastation suicide causes those who are left behind. My aunty and my sisters fiance both commited suicide and it had a detremental effect on my relatives lives. I feel that more help should be offered to those with depression ect and more education about the effects of suicide.
lovefool
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby lovefool » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:19 pm

Also what about those dying of cancer or children with terminal illnesses. They would give everything they have for a second chance and some people think nothing of throwing their life away. Life is a stressful situation but there is always people waiting to help you all you have to do is reach out and talk to them.
lovefool
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Richard » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:20 am

People consider suicide because they are in despair. For whatever reason they feel trapped in a situation that they believe they cannot escape. To tell them others are worse off is effectively to dismiss the reality of their pain - you do not really know how much they hurt inside.To say that is wrong or selfish only serves to make them feel worse: on top of all their problems they now have guilt over wishing to end it all.

Focussing on positive things can be a useful tool - but it's a lifebelt, not rescue. Ultimately each one of us has the right to decide whether the bad in life outweighs the good to an unbearable degree. Others cannot be the judge of that.

So I don't believe that suicide is wrong. But I would say to people that there is hope. Life can change, problems can be resolved. Pain can blind us to those possibilities. Finding the solution can be a long, hard road - but there are people who will walk with you awhile.
Richard Lawton
Richard
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby kathy6 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:17 pm

I don't understand people who say its selfish and cheer up and life could be worse, yeah in a normal, healthy persons mind its selfish but i tried it a few times and i was so down and my self esteem so low in my mind i was doing my family and friends a favour, i thought i was such a burdon to them that i was acutally doing it for them, it isn't always for selfish reasons. people are thinking of it from a normal healthy persons point of view. I actually felt guilty for being alive, thats how painful it is, the guilt is overwhelming, it takes over your entire way of thinking, you know that having depression is hard on your family and its such a horrible thought. then people tell you your selfish?
Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to
kathy6
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby BlackPeegley » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:10 am

i have to agree and say that suicide is not selfish at all. Yes for the reasons stated by irishlass but also because if you can see how much pain a person is in and can see how whenever even they think they are actually getting better they ALWAYS just slip back into the same state. Sometimes there is pain that will not go away and cannot be dealt with and it's not problems that are left beind for everyone else to deal with. they are the problems of that person and that person only and for them to deal with. If someone is constantly suffering, hurting and hating themselves i would personally say that along the lines of being selfish isn't it more selfish for people to want them to stay alive despite not being able to get out of their state of suffering so they don't have to grieve. i'm not saying suicide is a good thing and definately not saying "oh yer, you're unhappy, go kill yourself, it's ok" i'm just saying that to say it's selfish is selfish itself.
BlackPeegley
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:19 pm

I don't believe suicide is a selfish act either. Its basically the way some people feel when they feel they have no way out and no alternative. More often than not they just need someone who is calm, gentle and loving who will just listen and support them through such a hard time.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kathy6 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:40 pm

nobody who kills themselves wants to die, they want the pain to go away. i had it for years its not just having a bad day pain its a hundred times worse that that and it never goes away not for a second even if good things happen, then you feel abnormal and selfish for not appreciating what you have.
Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to
kathy6
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby MrDeeds » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:42 am

Lately I have seriousley considered the idea, I just can't get a break in life I work all the hours god sends and try my best to provided for my family but everytime I start to think things are going to be ok BANG something else to throw a spanner in the works, I am 22 and have had enough already life is just to hard to cope, and if anyones thinks I am living another 60 or whatever years like this then there mistaken.
MrDeeds
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby kathy6 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:28 pm

yeah but everyone feels like that sometimes, God i hate my job and life just seems to go on and on, i swear i could record one day and play it over and over again and it would be how i feel at the moment, but when you think about it thats how everyone feels sometimes, you just have to do stuff to vary it and do things that you can look forward to for instance im starting a beauty course, i've als wanted to do it so said i might as well, we are getting a new dog soon too things like that, you don't really want to die you just want the same old thing to stop so vary it a little and too hard to cope? then take a holiday, take your wife/girlf away for the weekend things like that make it so much easier, as i say you don't want to die because there's nothing to look forward to then your gone thats it, no going back, you want to change things so do it!
kathy6
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LalaSkellington » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:46 pm

I agree suicide is never the best option in life. But depression is a serious mental illness if not treated [properly] or at all. So suicide seems like a good idea, to anyone who's been seriously depressed or who currently is you'll know what I'm talking about!

If you call someone with depression selfish you aren't going to help them really, reverse psychology and all that malarky doesn't work with depression, if anything it makes them worse and are more likely to commit suicide because it makes them feel worse & more guilty!
You have to be there and listen to them, ask them why they want to commit suicide & if necessary sit & listen to them talk about it. My best friend did it for me and i think if she didn't I wouldn't be here now. My parents didn't want to know and told me I was selfish, made me SO much worse!

The only thing you need to get over depression is really WANTING it, friends & family who'll do anything for you, a fair few good nights out & nights in and not a lot of time to yourself so you can think!! (oh counselling and sometimes anti-depressants help too :) )

Lala
.x.x.x.
LalaSkellington
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby dollydiamond » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:47 am

i have tried it twice before failed both times
and then in 2006
i lost two friends because of suicide. :(
and ever since then i have never thought about

its funny that you never think about how it will make others feel until you go through it yourself.

R.I.P.
iloveyou.. xx
dollydiamond
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Nexus » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:08 pm

I agree with Jo that suicide is not the answer that all the people you loved and loved you but just traumatise them. But thats IF anyone out there loves you.

I'm lucky I have alot of great friends and a truly fantastic mother who is always there for me and cares for me more than herself, so for that reason alone I could NEVER do it.

BUT- I don't think its right to make comparisons to persons less fortunate than you. That in itself is an act of selfishness. It's like saying 'my life sucks, oh, wait a minute, look at that tramp on the street, I'm glad I'm not him'.

[-X

I've never understood this attitude. You have to remember that there are people in this world who are very poor and have nothing but their family but are also very happy. Then you get A list hollywood superstars who have it all but top themselves because this depression comes from within.

To be honest I don't know what happiness is, it comes and goes like the wind, and we don't always have control over it. Some do, some don't.

But no suicide is no answer- because life is so unpredictable. You really DON'T know what is around the corner, that saying is true. There have been times when I've thought about it, but then something turns up and somehow things get better. Imagine how gutted you would be if you wanted to receive CBT but heard no news, slashed your wrists and the next day a letter comes in through the post stating a date for you to attend? And if that treatment really really helps and you may end up happier than ever before?

A good film to watch for this is 'its a wonderful life', in which a character attempts suicide and then views how great his life would have turned out and he just hung on a little longer............... =D>
Nexus
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

PreviousNext

Return to Mental wellbeing