My future

For any problem to do with being 16 or under.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

My future

Postby netballluva » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:41 pm

Okay. We have these forms we have to fill out for work experience. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT I WANT TO DO! Its driving me mad! Everyone else knows or at least has an idea of what they want to do when they leave school but I really don't know.

I was talking to my dad thinking about all the possibilities. He suggested trying out moddelling after I had some proffessional photos done as a birthday present from my auntie and the photographer said that I was really photogenic and asked if I had ever thought of being a model. I have thought of it as Im sure most teenage girls do but I don't know, I just feel like its a crazy idea and not many people make it in that buisness.

So then we were talking about what else I was good at. He suggested a job that involved art. Id take that into consideration if I could think of a job that involves art. Which I cant. Back to square one.

We came up with a great long list of things that I could do like working with children, animals etc theres loads of possibilities but I really want to do something that I will enjoy and be a sucess in. I don't want to jsut go from job to job and being unhappy. It's really worrying me, it's all come so fast I just wanna be a teenager forever ):

x
netballluva
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: My future

Postby morris mouse » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:26 am

netballluva wrote:I was talking to my dad thinking about all the possibilities. He suggested trying out moddelling after I had some proffessional photos done as a birthday present and the photographer said that I was really photogenic and asked if I had ever thought of being a model.

So then we were talking about what else I was good at. He suggested a job that involved art.

Hey,"netballluva" please don't give up yet. :)

The photographer said that you are really photogenic,which is a really good place to start.

Why not combine the two [being a model & art]???
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby all_apologies » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:51 pm

Hey netballluva,

not sure how old you are but I'm guessing around 15, as that's how old I was when I went on work experience? Anyway, we got those forms too, but in all honesty it didn't really matter what you chose. Some people did get jobs matched to their interests, but a most of us didn't. It'd be nice if you could get experience in a field you're interested in, but at the end of the day I think work experience is more about seeing what it's like to work a real job, regardless of what that might be.

I applied for chemical and medical placements and ended up working in an office that dealt with the school of history at my local uni. Nothing vaguely similar there! I didn't learn anything particularly useful, but it was an insight into the life of office workers (and the ridiculous number of tea-breaks they take!).

Do you intend to go into further education or get a job when you leave school? Also, how far off are either of these possibilities? I'm now in my third year at uni and still don't really know what to do with my life, so don't fret about it too much if you feel uninspired at the moment. Although it seems like loads of people know what they want to do, you'll find that there are also plenty who don't have a clue. Loads of my friends are in the same frame of mind too. Sometimes allowing these things to take their course on their own will see you stumbling across interests and opportunities you'd never have even thought about.

Also, your school is likely partnered with a careers advice agency (mine was Careers Scotland, and someone from their office would come to my school once a week in case anyone needed guidance). Even your guidance teacher/form tutor/whatever it's called at your school will be able to help you out. This is what these people are trained to do, and they can introduce you to career possibilities you didn't even know existed, by taking into account your academic strengths and interests.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Under 16s