Another mess!

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Another mess!

Postby pixiemeat » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:00 am

Hey Guys & Gals (long time no speak to some!)

I could really do with some help, if you wouldn't mind?

I am beginning to think I am the biggest IDIOT ever. I have just failed my second year of uni AGAIN. I have been offered to retake it a third and final time but I don't know if I want to or if I even have the strength to resit it again.

The thing is I went to uni top of my class and when I got there I hated every minute of it, there hasn't been one advantage of going! Hours are cruddy, away from home, multiple problems at home, financial suicide and I'm just at the point where the two subjects i loved and knew like the back of my hand I hate, I loathe them I can't stand to hear anymore of it... This course and uni has totally crushed my spirit, my will, my creativity to do anything!!!

BUT I know if i don't finish this degree I'll have virtually no hope of doing what I want (even though its pretty much pot luck in the industry!) And I know that I will forever be the idiot sister that couldnt even pass second year! And my family will be bitterly disappointed! I haven't even begun to think about what I say to them! Having said that I dont want to be graduating when I'm 23 and I dont want to graduate at 50 either!!

It is a big big mess, has anyone else been through anything similar? If not what would you do?
Its better to burn out than fade away
pixiemeat
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby southie » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Yep, uni isn't all getting drunk and partying!
I had a similar experience, felt disillusioned with my subject and how it was taught, unsupported by my lecturers and was working four jobs to pay my way through it all.
But, I finished successfully (and so will you, I am sure!) and am now doing a masters degress, after having undergone a renewal of love for my subject after leaving uni and working for a year.
So, in summary, stick in there. Not everyone finds uni a breeze. It will be worth it in the end, and don't forget that if you really, really, really can't cope, you can probably defer for a year and have a break.
southie
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:34 am

I think you went to uni top of your class and just expected it to be as easy as school, and that you would be top of the uni class in the same way you were at school. One of my friends was a bit like that and she had to resit the first year again. There were a few people who were top of their class in school who came to do my course and flew through and some who failed. You just need to work hard at it. If I can pass my course then surely you can pass your course. Just stick in, work hard - yes I know how hard it can be, seeing friends, family, neighbours being outside doing ANYTHING when you are revising and such. But think about is this way, you are at uni for a couple of years, you have the rest of your life ahead of you when you finish, you will be earning quite a lot of money - it will be worth it if you stick in. Just start revising early, if you have problems with the work, go and ask a tutor at uni they ARE actually there to help you. Maybe they can't see you that moment in time but you can arrange an appointment with them, say you are struggling understading this problem, can they explain it to you a bit more. I wish I had swallowed my pride and done this on my first degree. It would have helped sooo much.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby lilessexgal » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:52 pm

weather you are clever or not uni is so much different to college and so much harder.

in a case like this you and only you can decide weather you stay on or not. but if you want this career so much you will stay on and sit a third time and hopefully and im sure you will pass.

as for being the 'idiot' sister im sure that is not true. im the middle child. my older sister goes to uni and is extremely clever and has got a 1st in both of her two years there so far. she is off to america to uni in august for 4 months to study part of her third year of uni and of course my parents are extremely proud of her.

i was and still am jealous because i dont go to uni, i didnt even finish college but my parents never make me feel dumb or useless so dont ever feel like the idiot sister because your not. your trying ur best.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lilessexgal
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

university

Postby purplegoth31 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:34 pm

I stuck at university and then lasted 3 years in the job i had worked so hard for.
If you need the degree for the job then you want stick at it. If not then quit uni and just work your way up. saves money and heartache
hope this helps
purplegoth31
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to School, College & University