Getting a saturday job.

For any problem to do with being 16 or under.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Getting a saturday job.

Postby Matpunklod » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:42 pm

ive been wanting to get a saturday job for awhile but dont know how i should get one. also my parents are refusing to give me money for going to out with my girlfriend and friends. they also wont let me go on my bank account and pay them for what they have given me, they keep saying to me about managing my money, so how can i if they dont let me see how much ive got, they just gave me a half n hour long lecture about how hard there working to support me n my sister, im fed up with it. how shud i get a job and shut my anoying parents up. also my job choice wud be in a cafe or restaurant.
Matpunklod
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby confused_cat20 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:32 pm

i got my first job in a retaurant at 15. If you just go around your local area and look for signs in windows for staff or you can go into restaurants and cafes and just ask if they have any waiting staff jobs going or you could try for a kitchen porter job as well in restaurants, washing dishes etc. Remember to look smart when you go in so you give a good impression. Good luck x
confused_cat20
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby all_apologies » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 pm

Have you spoken to your parents about wanting to get a job? Maybe they'll ease off if you show them you don't expect them to pay for everything and that you'd like to pay your own way some of the time. They might even help you look for work.

I'm not sure how old you are, but it's important to be aware that businesses often take advantage of under 16s seeing as they don't have to be paid minimum wage. Do a little bit of research on the laws concerning breaks and how long a shift you're legally allowed to work etc so that you know what you might come up against. Some of my friends had jobs in cafes at the beach prior to turning 16 and complained they weren't treated very well, but the few that worked in hotels seemed to fare a bit better. You could try phoning up these sorts of places and asking if they've got work.
all_apologies
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tarantula » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:08 pm

If you're under 16 then you will probably find it harder to get a job - especially one that you want.

So don't limit yourself to restaurants - get a CV written, as the vast majority of job places will ask for one. You can get a good idea of how to write one on the 'net... And hand it out everywhere. Even if shops aren't advertising jobs in the windows, go in and ask if they're likely to have any vacancies soon, and if they'll accept a CV anyway.

Also, the local newspaper in my area advertises jobs two days a week, so look into the same on your paper.

There're also job centres, who are in the business of helping businesses find suitable employees.

Again, I don't know how much of a disadvantage being 15 will be, but I think you will find it harder to get a job, unfortunately. But it's definitely worth trying.
Tarantula
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: Getting a saturday job.

Postby Aligator » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:49 am

a cv at sixteen...a good idea but maybe people won't take u seriously and just put u down to a reserve list. Basically meaning humouring u. I think that u should get a job but make sure its a good 1.
If u don't like it then maybe its not he job for u.
R U OK?
Aligator
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Getting a saturday job.

Postby DaisyLacey » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:10 pm

First of all, good for you for actually wanting to do right for yourself and your parents. The first thing you have to do, is print out your CV'S and ask around shops or places you are interested in working. Sit your parents down and tell them that you want to start taking responsiblity for yourself, if anything, they'll be proud of you. If not? Well, it's your life and if you want to make your own money and get a bit of independence, then go for it!
DaisyLacey
Just Landed
Just Landed

Return to Under 16s