Retail: what am i doing?

Got a problem with your workplace or one of your colleagues? Thrash it out here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Retail: what am i doing?

Postby Millenia » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:20 pm

Lo Peeps,

thought i would make a post about something that have been on my mind if that's alright.

I completed my music degree a year ago and since then i have been looking for volenteer work as a teaching assistant as i would like to become a music teacher.

Time and time again i had rejection after rejection, due to the fact i had no teaching experience so they could not have me as a volenteer (what a joke!)

I applied to do a postgraduate teaching course at univeristy, and they told me i did not have enough credits to do it although i was allowed to do a master degree (again, what a joke). In the end they said i needed to go back and do higher english (scottish qualification), which is what i am doing this year.
The student loans company said i was unable to receive any funding so i will also have to save up about £3,000 for the fees if i get accepted.

At the moment, i am working in retail in a gamesshop to cover the bills. I do work very hard in there and i was offered a promotion but i declined it as it was very var away from my home.

My bother is that should getting the career you want be this difficult? It just seems when i have accomplished one way to my goal another one pops up and i just feel like giving in. Working in retail also really gets me down as i have been there for a year now.

Has anyone else had issue with trying to get the career they want?
Millenia
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Liquidius » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:28 pm

Well, at least you know what you want to do as a career which is much further than some people get!

I had the same problem myself with getting into the career I wanted, everyone replied with..."you have no experience"...and "you need experience", until one day, I managed to get myself into an interview. Persistance paid off, and I got the job.

As well as continuing to apply for jobs, I think you need to find out exactly what qualities schools are looking for in their teaching assistants. Why not try writing a letter, or phoning one of your local schools enquiring as to what skills they'd like you to have. If they mention anything about experience, perhaps you could ask them if they know anywhere where you could get some? :)

You could try getting some teaching experience outside of the school environment - if you're good at a sport/craft/hobby, perhaps you could get a voluntary job teaching or coaching people. It might not be school teaching experience, but it's a good step in the right direction.
Liquidius
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Millenia » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:33 pm

i've been doing private tuition for about 5 years now, but somhow that doesn't seem to help me in the application department either :s
Millenia
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Weasley » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:11 pm

Hi there,

I completed a 4 year degree in Graphic Design back in 2006 and am still not in job I want to be! I have applied for numerous design jobs only to be faced with the same answer "we need two years experience." It has gotten so far on now that even if I did manage to get a job the pay would be much lower than what I am on now and I would not be able to live! So as you can imagine, I have given up.
There was a light at the end of the tunnel though on Saturday when I went with my boyfriend to get a tattoo for his birthday. I have always been interested in tattoo art and found myself asking the tattooist how he got in to it etc. He told me they run apprenticeships which are usually full time but as they currently have no one I can go in on a Saturday 12:30-5 and Sun 2-5 and start learning. It would take 3 years but then I could go straight in to been a full time tattooist and even open my own shop! So naturally I bit his hand off. I have given up so many times but I guess to me it was a case of right time, right place. Just keep working at it - in time you will get your dream job. Just don't be a quitter like me!!!
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: Retail: what am i doing?

Postby retrochav » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:06 am

Have you explored all options?

Could you get funding from any charities? Is there a hardship fund at the uni to help with the fees? Could any of the music business offer sponsership? What about volunteering at a day centre for the elderly or the disabled?

These are all small things that might lead you to your chosen path. Going to Uni in the first place couldnt have been easy, but nonetheless you got there.

Remeber, one battle doesnt loose a war in this life.
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Return to Work & Colleagues