Boyfriend/brother

For problems with brothers and sisters!
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Boyfriend/brother

Postby Pottysammy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:14 pm

It’s my boyfriend’s birthday next week and when I asked him what he wanted ages ago he told me all he wanted was to go karting.

I thought I’d be nice and ask my brother if he wanted to go (I’d pay for him) as my boyfriend gets on ok with him. He said yes.

However a little later I heard him telling my Mum that HE was paying and taking my boyfriend karting as a present from him. I set him straight and said no I was but he said he didn’t know what else to get him so he’ll do it. Mum couldn’t understand my annoyance at this and couldn’t understand it was because I’d have to find something else to get him and plus I know my boyfriend wouldn’t want that from my brother after he asked me to do it (due to it being expensive and my brother supposedly having no money).

Anyway I’ll let it go as you don’t want to annoy my mother and I didn’t care as long as my boyfriend got it from somewhere.

My boyfriend’s booked the next weekends off from work and his workmate told me it was because he’s pretty sure he’s going karting as I never let him down.

I asked my brother which day it was booked for and he said ‘I haven’t booked it. I was going to give him an IOU and let him book it for a date.’ I told him no, he wanted to do it for his birthday and not after. He argued saying no as my boyfriend might be working and wouldn’t listen to me when I told him he’d taken time off especially for it.

Mum joined in and has had a right go at me telling me my brother’s only trying to be nice and an IOU for a karting day will be nice. It sausage won’t be!! He a) stole my birthday present idea and b) hasn’t actually done what he said he was going to do.

I’m still waiting for my IOU birthday present from him and that was 11 months ago so I know it won’t get done.

I told Mum I was going to book it up myself just for my boyfriend and his friend but she’s gone mad and told me not to dare as it’ll upset my brother – but what about upsetting my boyfriend on his birthday!!!!?????

Any ideas on what I should do?

Do I…..

Book it and then get ignored by my mother and brother (and probably kicked out of home as that’s what they’re like)

or don’t book it and just apologise to my boyfriend on his birthday for not getting him the one present he asked for.
Pottysammy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby lidopig » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:59 am

Hi there!
Just book it (for your boyfriend and his mate) and risk the consequences with your family! Your brother sounds very unreliable.Tell your boyfriend what's happened.Good luck,hope it works out OK!
lidopig
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby morris mouse » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:42 pm

Getting your boyfriend the one present he asked for is,by far,the
better option
!!!

Perhaps,next time,you could keep your plans [as far as possible]a
secret so that this doesn't happen :)
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby Pwif » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Book it and just don't tell your brother. Your bf and his friend will have a great time, know that you've put a lot of thought into his present. If your bro and/or mum ask what you've given your bf for his birthday, you can just say it was a surprise birthday treat.

IF your bro is actually true to his word and gives your bf an IOU for a karting trip, your bf can accept gracefully and book a date very soon (making sure your bro pays). Your bf will then have had two karting trips.

If your bro is full of hot air ie promising and not coming up with the goods, he will show himself up in his true colours to your bf and to your mum.

Let us know how it goes. :P
Live life to the full
Pwif
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby brfc » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:37 pm

sounds like your bro is not going to get around to booking it so u book it and explain to ur b/f if he gets a iou from ur bro. i wouldnt bother telling ur bro cause if u explain to ur b/f he,ll just say thx to ur bro for the iou and no one will be non the wiser
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Jess1234 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:38 am

You should definately book it. Your brother sounds really unreliable and if you wait for him, your bf may never get a bday present. Take him and have a great time :D
Jess xx
Jess1234
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Re: Boyfriend/brother

Postby smallville » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:21 pm

At the end of the day your fella wants to go go karting. Book it for him and look good.
Dont be too hard on your brother for being unreliable so no in future that he is unreliable and accept it. A lot of people are unreliable its nothing personal they dont mean to be but they are.
enjoy your karting :D
smallville
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Boyfriend/brother

Postby HappyGoLucky » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:11 pm

Agree with the others- book it. Otherwise, how about sharing the cost with your brother?
Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get!
HappyGoLucky
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Return to Siblings