Smears

For any type of physical problem.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Smears

Postby LME79 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Ladies!

I know you've probably seen Jade Goody in the news recently, poor thing, but as tragic as her story is - please please PLEASE get regular smears! I know the NHS say 25 and over but it is actually for anyone that has been sexually active, regardless of age. So come on, ladies, book up!

LME xxxx
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Re: Smears

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:55 am

I turn 25 soon and iv just got my letter for my first one.I am booking it for next week.However, when i was about 20, my mam told me the age was 21 so i went to the docs and when i got there the nurse says you dont need one till your 25?So i said i had been sexually active since 17 she said it was fine unless i was worried about anything, which i wasnt, so i havent had one yet.When i saw jades story it did worry me a bit cos i thought things like that happened to older women.Still, im definately going next week so fingers crossed, it will be ok.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 am

I got a letter when I was 17 saying the age was 17 to go. I'd been to the doctors for something else when I was 18 or 19 and they said unless I went they wouldn't send another letter out for me because when my birthday was I just cut it for the 17 age limit rather than the 25 age limit (law changed at some point). Anyway I went last year or the year before aged 22-24.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LemonJuice87 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:56 am

Smears are REALLY important!!!!!!!!

You might have an STD which can lead to something more serious. Like Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, which can cause infertility.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:39 am

Cervical cancer is a very slow-growing cancer: it takes at least 5 years to reach an advanced stage. I suppose that's why they went for the 25 age-limit. But given that a 25-year-old could well have been sexually active for 10 years, I think it's too late.

I suppose the NHS is just trying to be efficient with its resources. If I had a daughter, I'd send her for a private one at about 20, I think.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pigglet » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:35 pm

A friend of mine had been having what she though was some sort of back ache and irregular periods for months. She kept going to the doctors and hospital but nobody would take her seriously! They gave her stronger and stronger pain killers and antibiotics, saying it may be some kindney infection or something! Even though she asked for a smear at both the doctors and the hospital, she kept getting the same answer 'we don't perform smears till you're 25' (she's 24)

Finally, she went to a differnet doctor and got them to pay attention. She did have cervical cancer!!! :(

She's had intense chemotherapy and radiotherapy over Christmas and the new year to shrink it, she goes back to hospital soon to see if they got it in time!

She's one of the most active and healthy people I know. Never smoked and drinks very little and loves to excersice!

It just goes to show. It CAN happen to anybody!!! play it safe..... have a smear!!!
Just remember, nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. :D x
Pigglet
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:55 pm

I'd like to stress the importance of what Pigglet said.

My mams mam (I don't call her grandma because she died before I was born); anyway she refued to go for a smear test, she'd been having very heavy periods for a while - it turned out she had cervical cancer. She was treated in hospital, she was getting better and then she died (the cancer didn't kill her, she got pnemonia from the reduced anti-bodies etc from the chemo). She died when my mam was 20; she was in her early 40s...she's been gone 35-40 years now! My mam hates doctors and smear tests but goes out of principle because of what I've said.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby bumblebee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:24 pm

I'm 25 just and I have had my letter but to be honest I put it to the back of my mind. What exactly happens during a smear and does it take long, I am extremely scared of hospitals and anything to do with them hense why I have put it off. But this Jade thing has made me realise I need to do it. I dont know where my letter is now do I ring my doctors or the hospital?
bumblebee
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:51 pm

If you just phone your doctors and tell them youve had a letter for your first one, they will book it for you. I am due my first one now too, and according to friends and family it is uncomfortable rather than painfull, and takes around 5-10 mins.You will have to remove your clothes from the waist down and lie on the bed, the nurse inserts a thing called a speculum to enable her to see the cervix, and then she takes a swab of it using a cotton bud type thing and sends it off for testing.I think you have to ring up in a couple of weeks for your results.As i said, its my first time too, and im only going off what ive been told so hope this helps.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Pigglet » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:54 pm

I would agree that it's more an uncomfortable and strange feeling rather than a painful one!

I know my doctors send a letter with the results but all doctors might be different. They will tell you that when you go!

kerrie24 wrote:will have to remove your clothes from the waist down and lie on the bed,

I always tend to wear a skirt when I go for my smear as I find it better to pull my skirt up than tale my trousers off! :D Also, they will give you a blanket to cover yourself up with so it's not like you're layed there naked!

You will only have to go to the hospital if you have an abnormal result so don't worry about that! Hopefully every thing will come back clear! :)
Just remember, nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission. :D x
Pigglet
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dogtan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:57 pm

Am with bumble bea on this.

I know I should have one but just to anxious and scared, it freaks me out.

Know I havent got an STD though so can relax on that score.
dogtan
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:44 am

Yea it's not a painful procedure really. Mine hurt a little bit when she was doing the "scraping" however it didn't hurt as such. It was over in a few minutes - the nurses just told me what she was doing being my first one and all.

Bumblebee: Just phone your doctors if that is where you got the letter from.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby LemonJuice87 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:02 am

Its more uncomfortable and un-dignified than anything else. There's only two people that should see that area, you and your partner lol.
You know you're a mum when the thought of food shopping alone becomes exciting.

When you and your significant other are having an argument, just take all of your clothes off during the spat and stand there. Something is bound to happen!! =]
LemonJuice87
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby *Velvet_Kissies* » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:25 pm

I had my first one almost 2 years ago, In Scotland everyone gets invited for a smear when they turn 20, I really don't understand why its different everywhere else in the UK
* ~ * I am a lightbulb...I Glow! * ~ *
x
x
x
V*k x
*Velvet_Kissies*
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dem » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:53 pm

My girlfriend got a letter in saying she was to go for a smear test. She didn't want to go because she would feel embarrased, but after a bit of persuasion from me and pointing out the Jade Goody situation, has eventually booked an appointment.
dem
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Next

Return to Physical