College troubles

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

College troubles

Postby ThisIsATempo » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:53 am

I guess this comes under mental stability as well.

Anyway, First year of college. I've been doing a course which I was sure I wanted to do at later life. I do the kinds of work at home constantly, and I was praised for the technical skill of how my work was back in school. Naturally, driven by ambition and that merit I went straight to a BTEC, thinking I would do brilliantly.
However, for the past 8 months of College I dread going in every day; the course is nothing that it was said to be, and my lecturers treat me with the utmost disrespect. When I went for my interview they showed me the foundation degree's work (at the time they told me it would be what they were covering during the first year). Upon entering they have gone a completely different way from the enrollment that i signed. By the time I realised that I did not want to do this, that this course was no good for me in the slightest it was too late to even switch to A levels! I've had to bear through this year so far, and my ambition for life has completely died. Everything that I enjoyed, looked forward to and persevered through an absolutely jelly school where, again, I was treated like dirt all to go to college and go through the exact same experience. To top it all off, learning that the only way I could do what I wanted with my life would be to go through another 5 years of education (through courses I absolutely hate) just to do a 6 month course on the thing I REALLY want to learn.
I have no ambition at all, I'm making excuses not to go to college, I'm drinking more, my attitude to changing towards everyone. It's really bringing me down.
The worst part of it? I told my lecturer that I wouldn't be going to second year because the course isn't what I want to do with my life, that I wanted to do A levels. And he's dissociating me with other people! He has the nerve to even insult me, and clearly has a biased opinion. Even my friends on the course agree.
So not only am I sat, doing something I dread doing, that I suck at, but I also have no idea what to do. All I wanted to do was draw; it's the only thing I'm good at. And now because of this course I've lost my faith in.. Well everything. I don't know what to do. The only thing(bar drawing) that I enjoy doing is reading. But you don't get paid for reading.
I really don't know what to do anymore.
I'm just.. Giving up in everything.
ThisIsATempo
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: College troubles

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:59 am

ThisIsATempo wrote: To top it all off, learning that the only way I could do what I wanted with my life would be to go through another 5 years of education (through courses I absolutely hate) just to do a 6 month course on the thing I REALLY want to learn.

Most college or uni courses give a wide range of areas to learn to set you up for future. They will not focus on one thing. I did Medical Physics at uni and there are 120 credits per year we did 20 credits Medical Physics and 100 credits Physics. It's just something you have to put up with if that is what you really want to do - even in the first year when we got taught about all the different physics options we NEVER covered medical physics, we covered everything else...astronomy, astrophysics, theoretical, chemical physics etc but NO medical physics and that is all I ever wanted to do.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: College troubles

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:40 am

ok a new college year starts in spet so is there another course you can do either in another college, the same college or back in some other learning venue? An apprenticship in graphics etc
If your not happy you may as well be earning in a job than doing something that is dragging you down and not getting you anywhere
Also whilst you like drawing you may have to consider that this isn't what you can do to earn a living and do it as a hobby or doing evening classes whilst in a job
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to School, College & University