I'm not clever enough to do this degree!!

For any worries about education in general.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

I'm not clever enough to do this degree!!

Postby Sara_platermen112 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:43 pm

I work in an events department, i can get this degree for free - but i dont want it! i kind of fell into this department here and i seriously appreciate i have this chance but i swear i am not clever enough. I have never written an assignment in my life wouldnt know where to start. i dont have the entry requirements needed but they said that doesnt matter they can swing that part. There's all sorts of modules i dont get, i will sit in on those lessons i wont understand a word the lecturers are talking about and i will look such a foul!

I have never been so frightened in starting something new in all my life and i am due to start this in September. Has anyone done a degree here - i would love stories please i really am started to get panicy about this. xxxx
Sara_platermen112
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: I'm not clever enough to do this degree!!

Postby morris mouse » Thu May 07, 2009 4:40 pm

Sara_platermen112 wrote: i dont have the entry requirements needed but they said that doesnt matter they can swing that part.

I'm NOT saying you are at fault,but really,are these employers worth working for??? As you say,when it arrives at the
really important part (tests,exams etc) you won't be able to do them.

To be honest,there are far more qualified people that could take your place (and find themselves,for YEARS out of work :o)
ImageImage
morris mouse
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby captainf » Thu May 07, 2009 5:00 pm

Good luck with the degree. I didnt want one so I never went to uni.
A few of my friends went on to get a degree and all they seemed to do was spend their time on msn and still pass. :lol:

I would just suggest taking as many notes as you can with info you think is relevant. Also ask questions when you dont understand things. Its understandable that you're nervous, its something new but you will be fine once you get rolling.

Is there a specific reason you're going for the degree?
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 08, 2009 9:26 am

Are work forcing you into the degree? Your work probably think you are good enough to do it otherwise they wouldn't have mentioned it.

I went to uni and did a BSc which I struggled with and a MSc which I also struggled with yet did way better in. Some people never turn up to lectures and always seem to pass with flying colours, I however never missed a lecure, took so many notes, studied for weeks and scraped through - you would not believe how many times I cried over the fact I put in 100000% where others put in 10% and came out with grades better than me.

My BSc was in Physics and it was pretty hard, but the it was all formula based and you had to remember all the forumlas - we once had 30 different forumlas for differentiation in maths - the lecturer said you need to remember them all because I'll ask for one of the methods in the exam - differentiation was one tiny part of the exam.

When I did my MSc in Engineering - we also had millions of formula but university provided us with most of the forumlae - we did have to remember some which is fair enough - but the engineering department understood that in real life if we needed the forumla we'd look it up in a book rather than memorizing the whole lot. The physics department didn't understand this so we had to remember everything - I think I didn't do so well because my memory is terrible; I went to uni to learn not to have my memory tested.

If your work are covering costs whilst you are at university then I'd go; it'll be a good experience, you'll have a lot of blood sweat and tears involved and moments where you wonder what you are doing, but at the end of it you have a degree. You can put it on your CV and it automatically gives you an advantage - my work never asked what "grades" I got in my degrees; I did tell them what I got in my MSc purely because I'd been working here for a year and a half (i.e. through most of my MSc) and thought it was only fair to tell them.

I find writing assignments quite easy because I can put all my thoughts down and then explain them - in exams you don't. I had to write an assignment on welding (exciting I know) and I think I was the only person to go to the uni library and get a book out on welding; I just put in many different theories and explained them and I did really well on it. With assignments or practical work it doesn't matter if it doesn't work because then you have far more to talk about i.e. imporvements, where you think you went wrong, what you could do in the future to expand the situation.

I also agree with Captain Flynn - ask questions when you are stuck - I did a module on Electricity (girls and electricity just do not mix at all) - there were 2 girls doing that module and the rest were boys, the boys all understood it no problem. Me and my friend (the 2 girls lol) didn't understand a word of it - so every week we'd go to the lecturer and say we are really struggling - can you explain it again; the lecturer didn't mind. I think he was pleased that we'd been to ask extremelly regularly rather than sitting struggling and getting no where.

On my MSc the whole class didn't understand a module on Economics (the lecturer was rubbish) - so half the class went to see the lecturer. She said that she'd give us 3 questions a week to do if we wanted to, we'd hand them in by a certain date and she'd mark them and do a tutorial class for us, her rule was you had to at least attempt the questions and not turn up not having looked at them. If you struggle you could ask the lecturer to do something like this for you - I found it really useful. The lecturer taught 3 different degrees in one and since we were the only degree to get extra help we were the only ones who passed with decent marks.

I think I've just written an assignment there.

If you don't understand something and are shy and you don't feel like you can ask in a lecture then make a note of it, go home or go somewhere and have another read of it and if you still don't understand it then go back to your lecturer and say you've been through it again and still don't understand it, would they mind helping you - they might can help you there and then or they might ask you to make an appointment.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Fri May 08, 2009 9:46 am

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:Your work probably think you are good enough to do it otherwise they wouldn't have mentioned it.

I agree!
I think you should just go for it!

I fell into accounting and im absolutely terrible at maths! but my company like yours offered to pay for a diploma.
Like yourself I dont have the correct qualifications and was really worried I wouldn't be good enough, but the thing is if you never try you will never know !
The fact that its broken down into modules will probably make it more managable for you, mine is broken down too and i only go onto the next one when ive passed the current one.
Is it an evening class ?
I met loads of people in my evening class and there were quite a few people in the class who are struggling too, so they arrange to meet up and study toether and help each other out.

I really thinks it a great opportunity, just think- you may end up with a degree without all the debt!

Good luck :)
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri May 08, 2009 10:03 am

earthchild wrote:The fact that its broken down into modules will probably make it more managable for you, mine is broken down too and i only go onto the next one when ive passed the current one.

It's not the same for degrees, it is broken into modules however you can do 6 of less modules per semester (September to January and February to June).

earthchild wrote:Like yourself I dont have the correct qualifications and was really worried I wouldn't be good enough, but the thing is if you never try you will never know !

Very true!
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Fri May 08, 2009 10:41 am

I agree, this is a great opportunity. Don't do it if it is going to make you really unhappy, but I think it could be really good for you in lots of ways - improve your CV, meet new people, expand your interests.

I wouldn't worry about being clever enough. Degrees aren't as bad as they seem when you first read through the details and it all looks so unfamiliar and tough. Once you get into it it's never as difficult as it sounds. Honestly, I really think even if someone is of well below average intelligence, if they study reasonably diligently they could get at least a passing grade in a first degree. So I'm sure you have nothing at all to worry about, it will come easily.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby m_m » Fri May 08, 2009 12:20 pm

morris mouse wrote:To be honest,there are far more qualified people that could take your place

That seems rather harsh and unnecessary "morris mouse".

snail wrote:Don't do it if it is going to make you really unhappy, but I think it could be really good for you in lots of ways - improve your CV, meet new people, expand your interests.

I agree with snail.

snail wrote:I wouldn't worry about being clever enough. Degrees aren't as bad as they seem

I have also heard this from many, many people I know that are currently at Uni.

I think you should go for it Sara, as earthchild said 'if you never try you will never know'!

Good luck x
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Fri May 08, 2009 3:10 pm

Well, I can kind of see where Morris is coming from - this is such an opportunity, it doesn't seem fair that someone might 'cheat' a bit to get on a course, and thus keep out other people who really do have the qualifications, and who might have worked harder for that chance. But it isn't those people who have asked us for advice, it's Sara, so we have to tell her what we think is in her best interests.

I put myself through uni at night school. It took me 8 years. I would have given anything for the chance to do it an easier way, like this. I'd love to do a Masters now, but I just can't see how I could afford it.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri May 08, 2009 3:16 pm

I just wanted to say that I think you should go for it.

We are in the recession and all companies are looking to tighten their budgets and not waste money where they don't have to.

Degrees aren't cheap. The fees at most universities exceed £3000 a year. So why on earth would your company offer to pay for you to do a degree if they didn't think you were capable, because you obviously are!

Being 'clever' doesn't have to mean you have a million A Levels under your belt, having common sense, life and job experience are just as valuable, and you can get onto degree courses as a mature student without the relevant qualifications, IF you have the experience to prove you are capable, which is just as valuable and valid as having the relevant qualifications. And I know your company said they would 'swing it' for you, but I don't see this as 'cheating' to get onto a course, because you must have the experience for the uni to consider you.

University and assignments aren't for everyone, some people are more practical and enjoy different challenges. You could do this degree and hate it, or you could do it and love it, but I know you will regret not taking this opportunity if you don't at least give it a try.

Take this offer as a massive compliment. Just because they see something in you that you don't, it doesn't mean it isn't there.

If you are really worried about it, talk to your employer about your concerns.

This is a really good opportunity and you are really lucky! Well done!
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri May 08, 2009 3:19 pm

I couldn't agree more with crumpetsandtea on this one
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Sara_platermen112 » Mon May 11, 2009 9:16 am

I would just like to say thank you for all of your replies.

I found morris mouse comments a little harsh, wasnt sure whether you were implying that i should just quit my job, leave myself jobless to give somebody else who is clever than me this job - after i've worked hard in getting this job. hmm...

All the other comments were so sweet and thoughtful - its really made me in the right mood for doing it! like you say, if they dont think i can do it why would they spend all that money on it!?

I really really appreciate all your comments and take them onboard! I can do it if i seriously stick my mind to it and i will be starting it in September!

Thanks again for all your advice!!!!! :):) xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sara_platermen112
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon May 11, 2009 9:43 am

crumpetsandtea wrote:The fees at most universities exceed £3000 a year

This is very true, it's also been in the news that they want to increase their fees. Some of my friends studied English and they were in less than 8 hours a week - this was when it was (only) £1000 ish a year...£1000 for less than 8 hours a week and constant reading weeks. At least I got 20+ hours of lectures a week and no reading weeks - I got some value for money haha. My bf is doing a degree (he's gotten grants to cover the fees) but his course is rubbish, the organisation is really bad, they are never in, they are then oh it's cancelled.

snail wrote:put myself through uni at night school. It took me 8 years. I would have given anything for the chance to do it an easier way, like this. I'd love to do a Masters now, but I just can't see how I could afford it.

Can't you apply for funding? I got a grant when doing my masters; I didn't apply for it actually, the uni said I'd get one - the course I did was mainly aimed at none europeans so I think all the europeans qualified for this grant - I actually think the uni were allocated a set amount and they decided who got it; it so happened there were no more than around 5 or 6 eurpoeans on the course so everyone of us got it. I was sooooo lucky really otherwise I'd have had to pay massive fees.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Mon May 11, 2009 10:27 am

I don't know actually, Dips - I just assumed as a 30-something doing a second degree no one would give me any funds whatsoever. I also couldn't give up work really, so I'd have to find something part-time again (like I did with my first degree, working as usual during the day and studying at night, which is why it took me 8 years - should have been 6 but twice I gave up a year and re-took it due to too many other things going on in my life). I just couldn't find Master's fees up front right now. Any suggestions welcomed - does anyone give grants/fund to mature students?

Sara - yay!!!!! Go for it!!!!! You are so lucky!!!! And we want to hear all about it.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon May 11, 2009 10:47 am

snail wrote:I don't know actually, Dips - I just assumed as a 30-something doing a second degree no one would give me any funds whatsoever. I also couldn't give up work really, so I'd have to find something part-time again (like I did with my first degree, working as usual during the day and studying at night, which is why it took me 8 years - should have been 6 but twice I gave up a year and re-took it due to too many other things going on in my life). I just couldn't find Master's fees up front right now. Any suggestions welcomed - does anyone give grants/fund to mature students?

Sara - yay!!!!! Go for it!!!!! You are so lucky!!!! And we want to hear all about it.

Grants and stuff may depend on what subject you are looking at taking? Mine was specifically engineering, science and maths based. I'm sure there are general ones you could look into at the university/college where you'd like to study at?

I assume masters fees are the same as regular degree fee's - Mine were. Most of my my masters students were "mature" students in their 30's and 40's. Also you can apply for certain grants if you are "self sufficient" so to speak (i.e. have supported yourself for more than 3 or 4 years).
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to School, College & University