Energy Bill

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Energy Bill

Postby earthchild » Tue May 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi All,

Ive received my first engery bill and my eyes nearly popped out of my head!
Its £120 for just 7 weeks of electricity for a small flat consisting of only 2 people who are very energy concious.
We turn off all our plugs (even the one for the kettle) when we are not using appliances and we arent even using the whole of our flat- the living room is just filled with boxes of our stuff we havent unpacked yet, so theres no plugs being used in there.
Plus all of our 'white goods' are grade A for efficiency. And our light bulbs are energy efficient, plus we use candles at night.
And lastly neither of us are in during the day.
My mum only pays roughly £40 a month for her electric and theres 4 people living in her flat including my sisters bf who has all his appliciances permenantly switched on.

So, i was just wondering if i could get a broader opinion from people about whether this bill is outrageous?
and do i have a leg to stand on if i dispute the bill?
its my first time dealing with this sort of thing and im very anxious about it.

please help!
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Energy Bill

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue May 26, 2009 12:31 pm

Check the unit usage that say you've used - compare it with your meter!

If they haven't checked it then they'll be making an estimate. When you moved in you should have had to call the electricity company and told them your values from the meters.

Search around for cheaper companies as well, you may be with a really expensive company.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Tue May 26, 2009 12:48 pm

well i know the first figure is correct,
but i cant tell if the ending figure (if that makes sense) is correct as it was up until the begining of may and obviously the figure will be totally different now.

the bill is with EDF and was the last supplier for my flat, i have changed it over to British gas, i realise i may be just talking out of anger here but it feels like im being conned because i changed suppliers and because its my first engery bill in my name.
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue May 26, 2009 12:52 pm

It may be because you are charged set up charges and stuff first time around.

Check how much they charge per unit used?
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Tue May 26, 2009 12:56 pm

yeah i will do so when i get home, my bf thinks its because of the tariff but i still dont think we've used that much.
sounds silly but ive lost sleep over this :(
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby crumpetsandtea » Tue May 26, 2009 1:10 pm

I sympathise with you because i've been in the same boat, and we got a massive bill, when no one was even living in the house!! All the appliances were off, and i'm pretty sure the borrowers hadn't been in there having a rave while we were away.
I rang up the electricity company (scottish power) and I'd checked the unit price and the amount of units used, and it all added up (i don't know how!) so I think there was something up with our meter. Obviously, they insisted that it wasn't possible that there was something up and wouldn't send an engineer out, but in hindsight I wish I had.

If you're living in a flat, check that you're not paying someone else's electricity bill too, as this often happens when a building has been converted from a single house into several flats. It happened to one of my friends, she ended up with a massive water bill, but never had a gas bill the whole time she lived in her flat, so she was paying someone's water and they were paying her gas. She naughtily kept quiet about it, because it actually worked out cheaper on her part!

It might just be that you are with a really expensive provider, so shop around too!
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby retrochav » Tue May 26, 2009 6:56 pm

You might be able to get a grant to help you clear the bill from the EDF energy trust. It doesnt matter if you are working or not, you just need to demonstrate that to pay the bill would cause huge hardship when other priority (gas, rent, council tax, water rates, etc.) are calculated. You usually have to have recieved debt advice, but calling the national debt advice line could be enough to clear that hurdle.

Also check to ensure the bill is an actual, not estimated reading. Also check the end date so you arent paying for someone elses bill. Finally a pointed letter stating that your usual bill would be far less and you feel any "charges" added on to be unfair and would like these reviewed will often reduce a bill somewhat - check the code of practice for energy suppliers and quote any relevant points.

Good luck
whatever your problem someone else has been there and bears the scars.
retrochav
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Tue May 26, 2009 7:59 pm

I would summarise retrochav's post - is your bill Actual or Estimated? It's very important that you find out, hun, your bill will give that information. Then check your meter - does it more or less agree with the bill? If it does, let us know, and we'll talk about changing suppliers immediately (lots of us, including me, have experience of that... :evil: )

If it doesn't agree, then you need to phone the number on the bill, and give a correct reading.

Either way, let us know - we've all got lots to say!! :P

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby earthchild » Thu May 28, 2009 1:49 pm

WooooHoooooo!! :D
well, i went home and check my meter reading, and guess what?
it was a lower figure than what was quoted on the bill, even though the figured quoted on the bill was suppose to be an 'Actual' reading :roll:

and my bf has done a bit of research on the net about this and apparently EDF are notorious for getting their bills wrong, one woman got an £1100 quarter bill for a 1 bed flat !!

any way, my bf called them today and they actually admitted that the bill is wrong and that they will correct it, and it could be up to 50% less.

Now, Ive another bill to dispute.. this time for my gas, £167 for 9 weeks :o when i only use my cooker once a day, dont use my central heating and only have my water heated twice a day.
still, ill get there..

and now going to make sure that i submit readings for each at least once a month so theres no more excuses.....

thanks for your help guys :D
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby rufio89 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:56 pm

yayy earthchild, that's good

as for the gas bill, i wouldnt hold your breath on that, gas is REALLY expensive.
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu May 28, 2009 2:44 pm

rufio89 wrote:yayy earthchild, that's good

as for the gas bill, i wouldnt hold your breath on that, gas is REALLY expensive.

Yes it's stupildy expensive.

I work in the oil and gas industry and gas is a "waste" product that get when they are digging for oil. They do transport a lot of it, some gets put back under the sea and the rest gets flared (i.e. just burnt so it's wasted).
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Thu May 28, 2009 3:15 pm

thanks for the heads up guys,

im just wondering,
is it gas that heats up your water?
im completely useless at undertsanding the 'timer' thingy for the hot water and central heating, my flat doesnt get hot water unless the 'Boost' button has been turned on.
which i find weird because my hot water is set to come on at certain times, like in the morning when i have a bath before work. But if the boost button isnt pressed then my water doesnt get heated at all?

i wish there was some sort of instructions booklet for it !!
The Truth

earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu May 28, 2009 3:18 pm

earthchild wrote:is it gas that heats up your water?

Depends how the flat is set up...

We have a combi boiler which is serviced by the gas people so I'd assume it's the gas for us. However I did think my friend's water was like yours and heated by electricity (although there are different ways to do it).
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu May 28, 2009 4:04 pm

Go online and see if you can get an instruction manual
if renting ask the landlord as it sounds like it is not working on timed and thats why you arer boosting which will cost more on gas
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby brfc » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:32 pm

i moved to scottish power who claimed to be cheaper for electric now they have upped my direct debit from £35 a month to £95!! :O considering im only in a 2 bed flat and im on economy 7 i think i must be powering the lampost outside too lol. going to ring them up on mon and tell em to sort it out or im off to another cheaper company!
brfc
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Next

Return to Finances