New Car

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

New Car

Postby m_m » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:29 am

I have removed this post due to identity issues, I hope that is not a problem x
Last edited by m_m on Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: New Car

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:01 pm

A car makes things to much easier.

They are expensive to run, and you were saying you weren't managing to save much a while ago.

I only have a small car 1.1litre engine (is that right, litre?) anyway it's one of the smallest ones and it costs me around £30-£34 to fill the tank up; I usually have to fill up every 3 weeks unless I'm going somewhere special. Tax is £125 a year (for my car but it depends on the car size) or £65 for 6 months. Insurance is the killer, however you could add your mam onto the insurance as a named driver and it will reduce the costs; go on gocompare.com and type in the details (just say you own the car) and find out costs for just you, costs for your mam and you; on my car I was the main driver, I added my dad as a second driver and clicked the box which said he has regular access to another car at all times and it reduced my insurance loads (£200 ish). You might can only get 3rd party insurance, fully comp is obviously the better one to have but again compare costs.

You also need a yearly service or MOT. MOT's cost around £35 if the car passes; services are £200 +. Services are "better", however unless you plan on keeping the car in pristine condition or selling it on for a huge profit, I wouldn't bother. I always just get my car MOT'd (although I bought 2 services with my new car); if it doesn't pass it's MOT you have to pay all the extra costs to get it fixed up; mine 'always failed' it was only on easy things though i.e. bulb gone, tyre needs replacing - thankfully all 'cheap' jobs. The lad I sit with at work get's his car serviced; because he wants to sell his on at a profit; I'd imagine the profit he'll make will be equivalent to the cost he's spent over the year on services PLUS MOT's.

So you need insurance - cost will vary. MOT/Service and Petrol.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:02 pm

I should also add you need a contingency fund just in case anything goes wrong with your car and it needs fixing.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:08 pm

My daughter just passed in automatic.
Bear in mind the cars are usually more expensive than manuals, although as it's family I am sure they will do you a discount.
Yes I agree insurance is the one, my daughter was quoted £2000+ so I got the car in my name and it went down to £780 with breakdown cover. However I don't have another car, it's a company vehicle. If your mum already has a car it will need to be in your name and that will increase the cost even with her as a named driver. Some people have put cars in their names to help their kids and there have been a number of cases where insurance have refused to pay out because they have two cars and other evidence points to unlikelyhood car was for them (i.e date of passing test, milage etc)
Try directline as they were £300 cheaper than all the compare sites
The insurance cost doesn't usually go down until your 25, when you are considered an adult driver
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm with MoreThan and I've just clicked the box which names me as the main driver and my dad as second driver who has access to another car at all times - it hasn't reduced it the last 2 years for me but in the past it most definately have. So long as you state you are the main driver and your mam is the second driver with access to anther car then it should help reduce it. My dad does have another car but he also does drive mine.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby m_m » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:45 pm

Thank you for your replies :D I think what I'll do then is get the details of the car and type them into a comparison site and then see how much (roughly!) my insurance would be as that seems to be the biggest expense.

Bel Bel wrote:My daughter just passed in automatic.

Was that her first time Bel Bel? How many lessons did she have roughly?

x
m_m
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:53 pm

manufacture_me wrote:Thank you for your replies :D I think what I'll do then is get the details of the car and type them into a comparison site and then see how much (roughly!) my insurance would be as that seems to be the biggest expense.

At least you'll get a "rough" idea of the price range.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:15 pm

no it was the third time.
first in a manual, second one in an automatic but failed for a very silly reason and the examiner told her to put straight back in for her test so he knew she was capable
Automatic is much easier but you will always be restricted to an automatic car
She had 24 lessons in the manual and about 10 in automatic

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby ILoveChristmas » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:31 pm

It's worth saying that in comparison to a lot of people, Dipsydoodlenoodle's fuel bill is a lot lower.

For a little comparison, my car costs me £60 to fill up and that will last me 6 days. Now I use mine to get to work every day which is a 100 mile round trip, so you probably won't be as high as that, but you could get close if you start going to your boyfriend's by car more often.

Also you have to remember that car's are terribly convenient. You'll find yourself nipping round the corner in it, which adds to the fuel bill.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:39 pm

I live a couple of miles from work and go home at lunch so thats four really short trips, not counting if i stop at the shops half way home and i only get 25 mpg. When I go out on business or do long journeys i can get at least 37 mpg. It makes a differnce doing short journeys.
I spend about £120 a month on petrol not including any business miles.
My daughter is so excited to have her first car she has gone through over £100 in a week. She is being sensible and charging her friends if they are going on journeys together and they all agree it's cheaper and more convenient than public transport.

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:47 am

ILoveChristmas wrote:It's worth saying that in comparison to a lot of people, Dipsydoodlenoodle's fuel bill is a lot lower.

Yea, thats why I said the engine size as well :).

But in all honestly it does depend how many journies you would be wanting to do; and as Bel Bel has mentioned the average miles per gallon of the car.

Shorter journies will have smaller miles per gallon but longer journies you get more miles per gallon.

I live around 5.5 miles from work, so it's 11 miles per day JUST going to and from work, for such a "short" distance into work the petrol certainly does add up. Although it's probably the same cost as public transport. I can get one bus from home to work, it takes 30-35mins, plus walking to/from the bus stops at either end, then if it doesn't turn up (it's evern 30mins) - when I was at uni I once waited an hour and half for the same bus in the snow once (I was going to a hospital to do my dissertation so I HAD to wait); or I can get in my nice heated car and drive in my own comfort for 15-20mins to work.

Bel Bel wrote:I spend about £120 a month on petrol not including any business miles.

and
ILoveChristmas wrote:my car costs me £60 to fill up and that will last me 6 days.

You both spend a FORTUNE on petrol. I fill up twice a month if I've been somewhere on a long trip. Ok Christmas drives a long way to work but it's still a huge amount. (Also our petrol is a few pence cheaper ooop Norf compared to Bel Bel's petrol I'd imagine). A few pence makes a huge difference when you fill up a lot.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:33 am

well petrol here is 104.9 per liter unleaded and 1.08 super unleaded

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby ILoveChristmas » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:37 am

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:You both spend a FORTUNE on petrol.

Yeah and that's me in a car doing 50mpg!

I used to drive a Subaru Impreza that did 20mpg on a really good day when I drove it like a granny. My fuel bill then was horrific.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crumpetsandtea » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:31 pm

Personally, I would try to pass in a manual car, because it means you can drive both a manual and automatic car, and gives you a lot more choice later on down the line.
It took me a few goes to pass my test because of nerves, so I really wouldn't get too disheartened for failing once. I think as a result i'm a much more confident (and better) driver than most of my friends who passed quickly, and even they've said the same!

I don't think you have enough time to get ready for a test before august so I wouldn't rush into it just because your theory test runs out. Have a mock test with your driving instructor to see where you are. Bring along your marking sheet from when you failed your test to see what you need to work on. You will only waste more money along the line if you rush into it and fail again.

As for running a car, my car is a 1.4, and it takes me about 25 minutes to drive to work 12 miles away. At the moment I'm spending roughly £60-80 a month on petrol, but this includes driving to visit my friends and my boyfriend who all live within 5 minutes drive and I normally go to see one of them every day.

My insurance at the moment is £387 fully comp, which isn't too bad for my age, but it was a LOT more when I first passed. With most insurers, your car insurance doesn't go down a lot until you are 25, but when you've got your first years no claims under you belt it drops dramatically!

My tax is the same as dipsy's its £125 a year. My car hasn't failed its MOT yet, but I think it will on the next one!

If you are working full time, and have no major bills to pay out, then I can't see any reason why you can't afford a car. I ran my car while I was in full time education, and although sometimes it was a struggle, it wasn't impossible, and it will be a lot easier for you!
Even though a car does cost a lot to run, it frees up so much of your time, and makes everything so easy and convenient. It gives you so much freedom just being able to jump in the car and go wherever you want. Once you've got one you'll wonder how you did without.
crumpetsandtea
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:04 pm

Bel Bel wrote:well petrol here is 104.9 per liter unleaded and 1.08 super unleaded

Ours is somewhat in the range 96-98p for unleaded, diesel a few pence more.

crumpetsandtea wrote:so I really wouldn't get too disheartened for failing once

I had one friend passed on her 8th attempt and another friend passed on his 9th attempt.

crumpetsandtea wrote:I think as a result i'm a much more confident (and better) driver than most of my friends who passed quickly, and even they've said the same!

I think in general that is true but not always, my friend who passed on her 8th attempt has had 2 accidents (one was her fault, I don't know about the other) and she's been driving 3 years; I've been driving 6 years and have had one accident which was not my fault and I passed first time.

I don't think it's the amount of times you pass that count, it's the amount of lessons you have; I had lessons for over a year - I was only having one a week because I had school and exams; but because I did my lessons over such a long time I think it made me a decent driver; rather than these people as crumpetsandtea has said who do about 6 weeks of lessons and then pass.

ILoveChristmas wrote:I used to drive a Subaru Impreza that did 20mpg on a really good day when I drove it like a granny. My fuel bill then was horrific.

My car on a bad tank of petrol (I reset my MPG counter per tank) does 36mpg but that was only in the first year, my car is now a year and a half old (efficiency improves although I don't know how) - now it's standard 41-42mpg just driving 30mph to work and to my bf's. If i go on a run I don't get much more to be honest 45mpg is the most I had.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Finances