tight with money

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

tight with money

Postby DAWNRAIDER » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58 am

I give a friend a lift every week to a social event. He has never offered to give me any fuel money or even buy me a drink when we get there. When I asked him about this he said it wasn't in his budget. I pointed out that smoking, drinking and gambling were so why not this? He dismissed this as a "typical Tory attitude". Do you think I am being unreasonable? Its not a huge amount of money but the thought that someone is taking advantage doesnt sit well with me.
DAWNRAIDER
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: tight with money

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:16 am

I think his attitude is a bit unreasonable – if he has money to smoke, drink and gamble, he has money to give you towards your petrol costs. If he has never even made some sort of gesture of thanks, then I can see why you think he’s being a bit unappreciative.

Having said that, unless you go miles out of your way to pick him up in the first place, I think it might be a bit stingy of you to actually ask him for petrol money. Obviously I don’t know how far you have to go, so it’s difficult to judge.

Perhaps he does things for you, so he just considers it swings and roundabouts so to speak?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:52 am

I would be unable to give him a lift for the next few weeks
Make out you are not going from home, perhaps leaving from a relatives, friends house or work and picking him up will be out of the way
he will either find someone else to use or have to pay for the trips and may realise it would be worth offering you some money in future
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby DAWNRAIDER » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:10 pm

. . . the rould trip is about 7 miles. I go a mile out of my way to collect him. If I'm doing this trip every week it will cost me about £60.00 in fuel a year. My argument is: why should I do all the driving and pay all the costs - effectively subsidising him? In reply to your question, he does me no favours whatsoever. He's a taker.
DAWNRAIDER
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:13 pm

then stop giving to him
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:11 pm

Bel Bel wrote:I would be unable to give him a lift for the next few weeks

That was my initial response to the question.

I give one friend a lift regularly, she offered me money, I didn't accept it becasue I drive past her way anyway, if I do go out my way it'll be 0.1 mile or something. Another friend I've given lifts to occasionally hasn't offered money...however it's only occasionally so I don't mind really; if I did it regularly I think I'd be miffed.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:21 pm

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect some form of give and take. However, it seems that he does. He's been clear where he stands - you asked and he dismissed the idea. If you don't like it, then just don't give him a lift anymore.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Friends