Friends' Wedding

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Friends' Wedding

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:54 pm

She's only doing it once (hopefully) so you can see her splashing out...but maybe not so much. It also depends if their parents said they'd contribute.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Yeh, splashing out on your wedding is ok, but £2000 for a dress is ridiculous! (unless you're rich, in which case it doesn't matter). She's only going to wear it once!

No doubt her Mum or Dad are helping her pay for it, but it's not like they're minted either, if it were me I wouldn't chose a dress that expensive and expect everyone else to pay for my extravagance, but perhaps that's just me.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:07 pm

RagDoll wrote: if it were me I wouldn't chose a dress that expensive and expect everyone else to pay for my extravagance, but perhaps that's just me.

Me neither but I've never been brought up that way. My bf's sister would though.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:10 pm

Yeh, I just find it a bit selfish - I wouldn't want my parents to worry about how they're going to afford it etc. She's always been the same though, she used to rack up debts on store cards/credit cards then pursuade her Dad to pay them off for her.

Anyway, that's another issue lol. I was just trying to point out that she doesn't do things by halves!!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Skarlet » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Wow thats a lot of money for a dress you only wear once.

I can understand splashing out on certain things, but I think they should be important. I don't get why people spend loads on flowers, and dresses and things that end up only used once. My Mum's wedding dress was shared around the women in her family, she saw it in a sale before she was even engaged, and it was altered for each one.

Only one of my sisters got married, and my Mum and my Aunts made her dress, my cousins weddings, my Aunt made all 4 of the bridesmaid dresses.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Yeh, that's what I think Skarlet.

I can see why people want a nice wedding day etc. but I also think it can all be a bit too showy/a competition these days (not talking about my friend alone here, just generalising). I think sometimes people focus so much on the actual day they almost forget the reason behind it - it's supposed to be about getting married to someone you love, not a big show! That's my rant for the day over anyway lol.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Skarlet » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:22 pm

Has anyone seen the new living show, four weddings? it is awful.. really really bad. They have four people getting married, who all go to each others weddings and score them.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby RagDoll » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Haha, no, haven't seen it!

Glad to see romance isn't dead though!!!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:39 pm

I went to a wedding a couple of years ago that cost £40K. Thats a massive massive deposit on a house.
We had a run of weddings and this was the last one before mine (mine was about 6 months after.) I was really worried that mine would be rubbish in comparison as i was only spending £7K, which I paid for all by myself. However my wedding was just as good and I couldn't see where all the money went. We had just as much food, better flowers, our dresses were equally as good to look at etc Ok they had a posh venue but once inside it was basically a room decorated with flowers, the same as I had. The only thing they had I didn't was fireworks and nobody watched them anyway. That was £2K down the drain.
I also had other things they didn't that really made mine unique so all in all what a damn waste of money for one day
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:01 am

£40k is a crazy amount to spend on a wedding!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 am

Skarlet wrote:Has anyone seen the new living show, four weddings? it is awful.. really really bad. They have four people getting married, who all go to each others weddings and score them.

I've only seen it advertised; they did all seem a bit drama queen-y and arrogant.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:26 am

Just thought I'd give an update: my friend has decided not to have her hen doo in Ibiza (because she's going to Dubai this September and has decided she can't afford it, haha) - we're going to go somewhere in the UK instead, hooray!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:34 am

haha brilliant news.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Previous

Return to Friends