Gardening/Plants

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Gardening/Plants

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:46 pm

It's been mentioned that we should start a gardening thread.

Firstly does anyone like gardening/plants? What do you have? Any tips/techniques? Indoor gardeners count too :)
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Gardening/Plants

Postby kerrie24 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:55 pm

I hate gardening,which is a shame cos i have quite a big garden.My other half cuts and strims it but thats all really.I am rubbish at looking after plant,quite good at growing weeds though!lol.I have strawberries and carrots growing every year for the kids and they are doing quite well though.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:55 pm

Well me and my nan have recently planted 2 apple trees, a pear tree and some tomatos too!
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:08 pm

We have a pear tree, a plum tree (with the sweetest plums EVER; I'm going to try and grow more this winter/spring), an apple tree (we did have two but my dad over-pruned the other one and killed it). I have strawberries...I started with 6 a year ago, I have 21 large plants, and 49 babies, I potted them all yesterday; plus there are a few more tiny babies still growing). I've got a raspberry and a tiny raspberry. Err I'm growing radishes and beetroot (one is almost flowering so I don't want to pull it to see the flowers). I have corriander. I am trying my luck growing loofahs (sponges). We have a HUGE abundance of Fuscia (I can't spell it), err lavender, nerine bowdenii (look them up - v.pretty), mini roses, large roses, various plants and bushes that I don't know the name of.

Inside I have lots of dracaena (different varieties too), spider plants, a pink fittonia (check it out, it's weird), geranium, baby pine tree (hehe), baobab trees (babies), some unknown plant from tobago, some pink plant from tobago, coleus, ponsettia - my mam kept trying to murder it. I have a clivia miniata (it's a kaffir lily if anyone knows), Aloe vera oh and a chilli :) with baby chillis - me and my bf were having a competition to get the first chilli I WIN!

My mam also has a christmas cactus hehe.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Wow you're doing well for yourself.
If world war 3 ever breaks out you'll be feeding the rest of the country. :D
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:49 pm

Ha I could if I had enough hehe. Everyone is rationed to one raddish and one strawberry each.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:08 pm

Can I trade in my Raddish for 2 strawberries? :wink:
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:01 pm

I don't do the gardening much at all hubby and mother in law do most of it
However I do have a venus fly trap on the window sill that I have had for at least two weeks without killing, major achievement for me
My garden is very beautiful however. Lots of roses -including a beautiful white one that was a wedding present and a "crazy for you" rose bush that hubby bought one birthday. That moved house with us :lol:

I have loads of different plants but I can't remember half of their names.

I particularly like our bleeding hearts
http://jellyfishbay.files.wordpress.com ... eart-2.jpg

No tips unless your trying to kill things
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:39 am

I thought venus fly traps are really hard to keep.

My bf the serial plant killer (ok he isn't) managed to kill (MURDER even) two spider plants....spider plants are some of the easiest plants to keep alive (apparently). I always rescue his plants which live in desert like dry conditions GRR. He also killed my kiwi tree :cry:

I do like the bleeding hearts plant.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:54 pm

I used to have a venus fly trap when I was little. I had no problems keeping it alive.
Infact now you mention it I think I want another one.. :D
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:39 pm

i got mine in homebase for 3.99
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby bellajennie » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:50 pm

I have a massive back garden that, like the house I just bought, needs some serious tlc. However, I have managed to get the grass down to a reasonable level and the hedges look like hedges instead of hungry caterpillers! (How do you spell that?!)
But i have planted strawberries and mint. And I have apple trees with hundreds of apples on which I hope will make me some cider in short while. However my proudest achievement so far is a tomato plant which lives in my conservatory and it has three, count them, three tomatoes on it!
The World is Your Oyster - If only you could get the damn thing open!
bellajennie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby LME79 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:11 am

I love gardening but I am never ever going to win awards for my skills :lol: most of my plants die from no water or too much water - I can't win! Mind you, I've only just started gardening (with the boyfriend) and we have had no experience at all, so it's just trial and error at this stage!
I want to be..a tree..
LME79

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:16 am

bellajennie: Wow 3 tomatoes :), a single tomato is an achievement. My chilli plant has 2 chillis on it. I was happy at one. Did you plant mint in the ground? (sorry if it seems a stupid question) - mint will spread and take over if you have and you'll spend ages digging it out :( Planting mint in pots is better (in my opinion) as it doesn't spread.

LME79 wrote:so it's just trial and error at this stage!

I think all gardening is trial and error, just because someone says "my plant prefers full sun" and yours doesn't - it doesn't make it wrong. It makes it personal choice and opinion. I use a gardening forum as well and I had a MASSIVE argument on there with some bloke arguing over rooting baby spider plants in soil or water - I got called cheap and inexperienced...he'd said root them in soil...the person who wrote the question asked about rooting in water, I said I'd rooted mine in water and they'd all grown successfully - apparently this makes me cheap! It's not like here, where if people disagree everything is taken into account...on there if it's not HIS way then its clearly wrong!

I have 2 orchids as well (I'm on the hunt for a 3rd) but on an orchid forum when I first got mine someone said they'd heard someone say years ago "you can't be an experienced orchid grower until you've killed 100"...it's the same as LME79's theory of trial and error.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:09 am

I've always found peppers and tomatoes very easy, but I wonder if that's because I'm "darn sarf" and Dips, you're "oop norf" - it does make a difference with these warmth-lovers. The trouble with chillies is, no one eats them in large quantities. I grew a chilli plant several years ago, it did really well, got covered in chillies, then I found I couldn't do anything with them. I can't stomach very spicy food, so I got through a maximum of one a week. Everyone I offered them to said the same, they would never accept more than 3 chillies. In the end 90% of them just rotted on the plant. So I stuck to tomatoes and sweet peppers after that, because you can always get through them.

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote: I got called cheap and inexperienced...

Ah, yes, that brings back a few memories of dates I've had . . . :-k
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chit Chat