Mortgages

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Mortgages

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:53 am

Are there any mortgage comparrison sites out, or does anyone know of any mortgages which are low interest?
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Re: Mortgages

Postby Skarlet » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:24 am

Hi Dipsy,

I have been looking at the moment. Nationwide seem to have some good low interest fixed term repayment mortgages.

There are mortgage comparison sites, but nationwide and other sites also have online calculators that can give you an idea.

Skarlet
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:40 am

Skarlet wrote:There are mortgage comparison sites

What are they? I've only found one and it wasn't overly useful. I've seen a couple of houses (again) so I'm going to look but IF I really like them then I will have to re-assess my IF I can or can not afford it.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:46 am

It might be wise to go and sit down with a mortgage advisor, but on the nationwide website they have a guide for first time buyers that i found helpful.

http://moneyfacts.co.uk/money/mortgages ... inder.aspx is a comparison site I found on moneysavingexpert.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:17 am

I'll have a look at that thanks.

I have sat down with a woman at Halifax (I know they aren't one of the better ones), I just so happen to have an account there and went to see how much I could actually get. I also went to Rook Matthews Sayer who were a WASTE of space - I thought they would but I thought I'd see anyway...After being there for 2 hours and being told to come back another time, and going back I STILL don't know how much mortgage they'd offer me...WASTE!!!!!!!
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:29 am

Nationwide have got a good mortgage calculator, that goes through an illustration that you can then use to apply.

My older sister recommended Nationwide to me, which is why I have looked at theirs more then others. She also had a bad time at Halifax, but she said the people in Nationwide were really helpful. On moneysavingexpert they had some good mortgage advice.

Hopefully it will be better this time round.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 am

I ONLY went to halifax to see how much I could get, I figured they'd all be similar. I doubt I'd go with them but thanks for the heads up. I'm going to look at nationwide now :)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:28 pm

Halifax is a really dirty word to me
I had to give up my flat in 1993 due to divorce and i paid an agreed amount (set by them) to relieve myself of the negative equity. I was told I would not be blacklisted but could not get a mortgage for 6 years and after that I would not get any problems and my record would be cleared.
Then 10 years later i applied for a mortgage and had loads of trouble and had to go to a fringe lender, charged me a fortune but it was only way i could get a mortgage.
I was lied to. I would have been better paying them back a little each month than suffering bigger finacial problems 10 years later

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:51 pm

Ok thats two people who said NO to halifax. I think natwest do decent rates, nationwide I thought did but according to the site before it was a minimum of 5%. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:50 pm

I am with C and G (via Lloyds) now and am really happy with them

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:39 am

I had fancied those actually Bel Bel - I think they had some of the lowest rates around. I'll definately have a trip to them if I like one of these houses :)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:51 am

I have always found them really helpful too. I go into the lloyds branch and talk to the advisor rather than c and g directly.
They will take as much time as you like explaining stuff if you need it. I have added to the mortgage when I moved and paid off a lump sum when I got my inheritence so I have had a few dealings with them
At present I am real, happy as my fixed rate finished and she tols me not to renew and she was right becasue the interest rates have dropped the mortgage has gone down £200. Which is really handy as hubby may be earnign less in future since he got made redundent

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:32 pm

Brilliant, thanks. I actually have an old account at TSB :) I only kept it open for holidays and because it had a great account number haha. Lloyds are generally quite helpful in my opinion.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby bellajennie » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:51 pm

I'll put the other argument in here then!
I've gone with Halifax for my first mortgage. You can put the mortgage fees into the loan amount. You also get £150 quid back if you have an account with Halifax. Furthermore, if you're a ftb then they pay half of your first year's council tax too, which is quite a lot of cash if you think about it.

I got the lowest fixed rate I could find with them, but I did have a 25% deposit. They may not be cheapest for you if you have a lower deposit amount. Their tracker rate was obviously even lower than that, but remember it'll only go up. Interest rates are not going to go down from 0.5% !

Just thought I'd show some of the benefits of halifax.

You can also compare on sites like money supermarket. You can also compare for a time such as the first 3 years, where it will tell you which mortgage will cost you less over that amount of time. However, beware, the cheapest one might be more expensive after the initial deal runs out.

Hope that helps!
The World is Your Oyster - If only you could get the damn thing open!
bellajennie
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:44 pm

I have either a solid 10% or 15% deposit depending on how much the house is and how much work it needs doing. I could go up to 20% but then I'd have absolutely no money for furniture and I NEED some (i.e. bed). I don't mind not being able to have loads, it will come in time but I'd need kitchen appliances, a hoover and a bed at least.

I don't want a tracker mortgage, I would like a fixed rate one.

I think if I do like one of the houses I'd go to Lloyds and ask and then maybe back to Halifax with definite numbers because last time I just wanted to see how much I could get.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to Chit Chat