Families

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Families

Postby rufio89 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:25 pm

:) My aunt lives on Vancouver Island RagDoll :)
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:46 pm

Oh Kerrie sorry that your nan died. :oops:

My 98 year old grandad looks 60 and acts 21 :lol:
Two of my great grandparents lived into the 90's too and my other granparents lived to late 80's and early 90's

It's ok to live until your old if you have your health
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:19 pm

rufio89 wrote: My aunt lives on Vancouver Island RagDoll

Really?! :) it's funny how much our families all seem to have in common.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:36 pm

98 is a great age!
My grandad passed away at 60 after suffing from Goodpasture's (A very nasty illness) :(
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:05 pm

My Grandmas is 84, but she isn't very well at all :-? She's having a ultra-sound scan today to see what's up with her, not having a very good time of it at the mo :(
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:17 pm

I hope she turns out okay.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:22 pm

Thanks. My Mum doesn't seem to think she will be, I wanted to send her a card, but she advised me not to send her a get well soon one, but a thinking of you one instead. I'm not sure why she seems so doom and gloom over it, perhaps it's just due to my Grandma's age.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:31 pm

Probably is due to her age but your mum is probably worried. When you see a relative in such a bad way its kinda hard to keep optimistic when away from them.
When my grandad was in hospital, towards the end, i'd see him and he looked quite thin etc but we always talked to him about when he comes home etc Away from the hospital I did worry that he may not come home. 2 days before he passed away the nurses stopped kids visiting (I was 11) My last memory of seeing him was when I was leaving the hospital, waving bye to him and he waved back and 2 days later he died. The whole time he was in hospital we didnt stop believing that he'd come home, but of course theres always abit of doubt and sadly for us he didnt come home, but regarding your nan, your mum is probably in a similar position to what I was - wants your nan to come home, but knows she might not. I think you should send whatever card you want to send. Its a very thoughtful idea.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:37 pm

I have sent her a card - I sent her a 'thinking of you' one.

Unfortunately in my family it's not as simple as that. My Mum doesn't have a good relationship with my Grandma and neither does my Dad (it's his Mum). It's almost making the whole thing more upsetting as I am being pulled in lots of different directions. It's a bit long and complicated to explain and I don't want to take over this thread, heh.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:39 pm

P.S. sorry to hear about what happened with regards to your Grandad :(
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:41 pm

Bel Bel wrote:Oh Kerrie sorry that your nan died. :oops:

Ah thats ok just got your wires crossed.Yeah she had her health till the very end and used to bake the most gorgeous victoria sponges,thats one of my main memories of her!
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:52 pm

Aw thankyou. It was hard to get over.

I think at times like that when you have your parents having their own thoughts and judgements about the situation you have to do what you want. They can't dictate what you can and cant do regarding your nan - you can try and get them to visit or send a card, but so long as you make the effort to see your nan then at least you've done your bit and if she comes home then thats great and if she doesnt then you'll know you did everything you could.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:19 am

I don't have success with grandparents; my mams parents both died before I was born - neither were very old (both less than say 55ish). My dad's dad died when I was really young and I don't remember him at all....My ONE memory of him...he was lying in bed in hopsital (I think) and my uncle was there and he found this woolen thing that looked like a beard (a bit like a tiny sheep skin rug) and he put it up to his face and pretended he was santa and my Grandad said "I wouldn't do that, it's for my feet" and my uncle laughed and put it down....That is my entire memory...I don't remember him, his voice, how he looked or ANYTHING just that one sentence. My Grandma died when I was 9; we'd went to see her at the hospital, me and my dad...and we'd walked in the room and she was there she just looked asleep with loads of tubes hanging out of herm, and my dad said "Dipsy is here to see you", then I was sent to another room to play...except I didn't want to play; I wanted to be there with my dad. Then the nurse came in and said "I'm really sorry and gave me a hug"...then there is was over. I wasn't allowed to go to her funeral either.

I want to adopt a granny (or grandad...) not adopt like as in 3rd world adopt a grandad (my friend has a 3rd world Grandad and he is called 'Thong') but I would like to adopt a granny here so I can go visit - I think a granny would appreciate visits especially if they don't have family.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:50 am

I think adopt a grandparent is a brilliant idea, Dipsy. My granddad died when i was about sixteen. I still now can't remember his funeral, although I know I went. I didn't really think about him for ages, but now I remember things, and really miss him. My sister said I should go and borrow some of his books, cos they smell like he did, but it feels odd to go in and take them- although I am sure my Nan wouldn't mind.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:55 am

We have my grandma's books...they are all encyclopedia collections...you know the ones you find in libraries. We have some readers digest gardening ones, and a readers digest "problem pages" one - it's hysterical looking back at the problems then and seeing how attitudes have changed.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat