Working Tax Credit - Overpaid, please help x

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Working Tax Credit - Overpaid, please help x

Postby cremeegg » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:20 am

Hi,

My mum has been overpaid on hre working tax credit from April 08-April 09. It was their fault by entering incorrect data. My mum wrote she earned 12,800 from that year and received £3000 in the bank, because she wrote the form out correctly she had confidence the money in the bank was correct however it turns out that HMRC had her down as earning £128.00 from the year and put the decimal point in the wrong place.

My mother no longer has this money and i am concerned she will be asked to repay it back immidiately however it was entirely their clerical error and my mum shouldnt have to struggle because of their admin error.

Has this happened to anyone else? was was the outcome? What shall i say in the letter to make them reconsider askingus to pay it in full?
xxxxxxxxxx
cremeegg
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Working Tax Credit - Overpaid, please help x

Postby Skarlet » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:27 am

They won't ask you to pay it back in full. They will just deduct it from your current payments. At least that is what happened to my sister.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:39 am

my sister was overpaid beyond the amount she should get so she had to make repayments and lose her payments for a year becasue she didn't advise of a change of circumstances
You mum should have got a form confirming all her details once her claim was agreed and she has to check to make sure they entered everything correctly so I am afraid the onous is on her
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby cremeegg » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:49 am

My mum said she never received a form back confirming final details before the claim was submitted. Is this usual? x
cremeegg
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:58 am

yes once a claim is decided they always send a form confirming the details and the amount you will be paid each month, when payments will start, the date they will be made etc. You also get a review form once a year asking you to confirm none of the details have changed

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby cremeegg » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:15 am

Hi,

I really apprecaite your help on this. My mum gets confused with all documents etc so i am trying to take over to see whether it was our fault or theres. clearly it was theres by entering the wrong amount however since you said they send confirmation out before makig the claim has confused me.

I havent any knowledge on all this tax credit but basically my mother completed a form to claim and havent received anything apart from the confirmation and the money in her bank. So this is unusual and you should receive a document to check before submitting? xx
cremeegg
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:59 am

You get a claim form and send it off
tax credits enter the details and send a confirmation
If anything is wrong you have to advise, if they don't hear from you they continue with the claim as in the form
If for any reason your mum ignored the form, didn't realise the significance or didn't get it (due to lost in post) then tax credits would have no reason not to continue with the payments
Whether they made a mistake or not they do not seem to take any responsibility and your mum has been overpaid. You can use there mistake to request a payment plan rather than pay a lump sum back, I am sure they will agree to regular payments anyway, they usually do
It will have to be piad though as your mum wasn't entitled to it

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:42 am

Like Bel Bel said it will come off her current payments.

I under-paid my tax in 2006 so last year I had to pay it all back; it just meant that I was on a higher tax code for the year. It's not like she'll get the money and then she'll have to give it back; they'll just giver her less...so if she doesn't have it to begin with she can't spend it.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Return to Finances