Pet Ideas

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Pet Ideas

Postby Skarlet » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:50 am

I went to the pet shop, to have a look at cute rats and things, and ended up buying a cornsnake!

Its beautiful, and gorgeous. :D
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby peecee » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:56 am

And so cuddly... :o :P
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:28 am

Pictures?! :D
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby captainf » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:55 am

Aw nice! Would be good to see a pic of it.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:13 pm

As soon as he is settled in and we are able to handle him, I will post pics. He is a snow morph. :D

In the shop the had large land snails, which were pretty huge and cute.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:15 am

Get a newt :)

On a realistic note, a rabbit or rat would be good. Rabbits will like attention and rats are nice and clean (I like rats); I also agree with the idea of a bird; a parrot would be fantastic but you'd have to be aware it might out live you and they are expensive to buy; also if they get lonely you would need to get it company (I want a parrot); I have 2 budgies and they are ok - they keep each other company and you can cuddle them and stroke them if you want. They will talk to you; mine say pretty boy, and good boy. My previous budgies said yes, no (I think these 2 try), pretty boy, and pretty boy boy. If you get two they won't be such good talkers as one; my first budgie was a decent talker and he was quite clear, when we got him a friend they've kind of taught each other to speak and they've been less and less clear over the years.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:17 am

I have to admit I don't like birds either, haha, I like them even less than cats! I know a lot of people have them and I'm sure they're fine really, but I always feel sorry for them in their cages too :(
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:32 am

You could leave the cage door open for them; we used to open the door the minute we woke them up and close it when we put them to bed so they were free to come and go in their cage as they wanted.

Not that fussy with pets are you ragdoll? How about going for a trip to a pet shop and seeing if they have anything that takes your fancy?
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:43 am

I think the main problem with birds in captivity is loneliness; many of them are highly social (live in huge groups in the wild or in devoted pairs) and suffer if kept alone. Parrots are particularly intelligent and can suffer terribly from not having a partner, they have a strong mating and pair-bonding instinct which shouldn't be frustrated.

I'd go for a rabbit. You can house train them (I think they use a litter tray) and let them run around. Don't know if they're happier in groups or not though.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:51 am

I do think rabbits are happier in groups, they recommend rabbits and guinnea pigs make a good combination. I read it somewhere ages ago; I wanted a rabbit but my dad put his foot down and said I couldn't have one. I wasn't allowed one when younger as our house backed onto fields and my dad said a fox would attack the rabbit (one got next doors rabbit) and I'm not allowed one now either lol - too many foxes apparently - we live in a city (ok in a suburb of the city and our garden is surrounded by gardens...however we've seen more foxes here than we did before. I had a late night encounter with a fox when I was coming home from a night out - I told my mam and her response was "how much have you had to drink?" - I'd had one cocktail and I'd taken a photo as evidence :). The fox walked down to me; I said hello to it (as I do), I had my shoes off walking up the street as my shoes had metal heels and it was summer and everyone had windows open so I didn't want to wake everyone...after saying hello to the fox it came up to me, sniffed my toe (I thought it was going to bite me) and walked past me and sat on the school field (it's right next to our house).

I'd heard that parrots are like an inquisitive toddler; I'd love one but I'd probably need two for the company and they are quite expensive to buy.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:07 am

I do like the idea of a house-trained lop-eared rabbit. I'll have to investigate :)
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:48 am

Lop eared rabbits are very cute.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Been doing a bit of research on lop eared rabbits and I am quite keen at the moment :)

Would be interested to hear from anyone whose owned one before, especially with regards to house-training them!
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby earthchild » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:18 pm

hi ragdoll
ive been researching these cute lil' furballs for a month or so now as ive been wanting a pet since ive got my own flat, as much as i would love a dog my housing association wont allow them and ive been brought up with cats all my life so i wanted something different.

in short, you would have to get a pair, as they do get really lonely.
In regards to house training them, what you have to do is make sure that you have the cage fully prepared when you bring them home and leave them in their cage for 24-48 hours, (this is going to be so hard as they are so cute!) this is because they will be quite stressed and need to get use to their own new surroundings and establish that their cage is their terrotory. They choose a corner to release their bodily products and apparently its quite obvious. so once you know which corner it is put their litter box there. They love to graze when they 'go' so put some hay nearby to encourage them. also when you change their litter box make sure you put back some of the dirty hay to keep the scent in the litter box, and if they need a little extra help ive read its good to reward them with their favourite treats when they go in the right place. One thing i did learn about them is that sometimes they eat their own poo, its not exactly poo though, its where they havent fully digested their food so they ingest it again to pick up the nutrients.
ive done so much research on them, so if you have any more questions please fire away! :D
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:08 pm

I'm just curious - what is it you dont like about birds? Is it that they are in a cage or do you just generally hate birds?
I feel sorry for them in their cages. They should be out in the open with other birds.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat