London or Nottingham?

For any other problem that has to do with the self.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: London or Nottingham?

Postby Bel Bel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:11 pm

It sounds like you should go for the trip. It's once in a lifetime opportunity and as you say you can come back to uni after.
Whether you do the trip or not you still have to pass an entrance exam so the trip is not going to make any difference to whether you can get in uni or not
It sounds like your colleges would have you back after the trip anyway if thy are trying to get you to transfer ( I wasn't sure what you meant by bank sessions but assumed it was saving up time from overtime or somehting similar)
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Dolly77 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:43 pm

NHS bank staff are like agency staff but you have more flexiabilty.
The plan is to work and save for the next 8/9 months, then go travelling for 12 weeks in the USA. Then start uni in sept 2010. Once i have my degree i could if there is a position apply and go back to my old hospital. There is also the chance that I could get a placement as part of my degree in my hospital too.
I just hate Nottingham tho and I'm desperate get away. I'm not some artsy fartsy type but I miss galleries, museums and coffee shops! And as for blokes even the cockney wide boys have gotta bit culture and style about them. :P
Dolly77
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby rufio89 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:52 pm

Haha there is some culture in Nottingham, although granted not a lot.

But there are plenty of coffee shops! They seem to be every other shop!

But I agree, I think you should just go on your trip. My sister did a 3-month road trip across America and she said it was just amazing. It was during election time as well, so she got to go to an Obama-McCain rally :)
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Dolly77 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:06 pm

I want to explore the south abit more and visit the west coast as well. I not really interested in the east coast (new york is exciting tho) as its too much like england.

Nottingham is dull tho. That new compentary art gallery is still not open. And another thing shopping/retail therapy in Nottingham is a non starter. Howanyone can suggest the Nottingham is on par with London, hasn't shopped in Knightsbridge or south kensington recently. Nottingham is full of pound shops, charity stores and cheap clothing shops run by ecomonic migrants! :o I have yet to spot a selfridges or a mini branch of Harrods!
Dolly77
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby RagDoll » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Well, let's face it, nowhere is going to compare to London with regards to its cultural and leisure offer. It is the capital city after all.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby rufio89 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Nottinghams not too bad for shopping, I tend to get most of my clothes from Topshop, H&M and Zara, there's a Lipsys opening soon...
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Dolly77 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:09 pm

Once you've shopped in Selfridges, you never go back! And the Topshop in victoria centre is nothing compered to Topshop Oxford circus.
Back to my original dilema..........Thank you people, I think you have helped me find the answer. I love London and it will still be there next year. I still think Nottingham is just dreadful but I need to keep focussed on my goals. I sure there must be a decent man in Nottingham, someone worldly wise and with excellent dress sense and not a very close relation to the ice age caveman.
Last edited by Dolly77 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly77
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby snail » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:10 pm

Why not ask Rufio to email you the details of some of her single male friends :wink:
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dolly77 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:20 pm

snail wrote:Why not ask Rufio to email you the details of some of her single male friends :wink:

No offence Rufio but Snail I refer you to one of my previous post earlier. Anyway you can't beat eye contact. Fleet street is good for all that eye contact/checking out the talent.............well it was before the recession.
Dolly77
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:41 pm

Interesting topic. I grew up in London and if im honest, although I like the place, you seem relatively star struck by it. I mean there are parts of London I wouldnt feel safe in, equally there are probably parts of nottingham I wouldnt feel safe in. Mind you I have never lived in Nottingham but I have been there plenty of times and found it a relatively nice place - you just have to make the best of what you have in your locality. What sorts of things are you into? Where I normally stay in nottingham is just outside the city and therefore the countryside isnt too far away. So you can do things like entertain yourself with going out to the countryside, or bike riding etc. Life in the cities isnt all about clubs and drinking.

As for meeting someone, you've got to be open minded. Not all men are uneducated and stupid, some you may find are relatively clever. I agree that night clubs are probably not the best places to meet anyone but why wont you try a dating agency or online dating? If you're really frustrated in not finding someone surely its worth trying the different options available? The only alternative to this is to just sit back, focus on your work and your studying and see if someone comes your way. Remember its not important to have a boyfriend, however when you do have one its important hes the right one otherwise your life will only become more complicated.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:18 am

captainf wrote:you seem relatively star struck by it.

I think relatively is an understatement flynn. haha.

For me personally London is just too busy; I like where I live; we have a good night life; we have good shopping, we have a beach within a 15min drive, and slightly further for countryside. I don't need a mini-harrods or selfridges to be happy where I live.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:47 am

Each to their own but I have to agree I find that I feel unsafe in London.
I used to work in London as thats where our offices were but these days it really frightens me going into London. I clutch my bag like my life depends on it and come home and feel really dirty from all the pollution.
I am not near a beach :cry: or a harrods but it's an hour to lakeside or bluewater and shopping there is fab. Anyway harrods is special shopping trip due to the cost of everything. I used to go in there once a year and just buy the Jelly Belly Beans but they sell them loads of places now.
I must admit that if you like bars and clubs London is great. Covent Garden is particularly good for bars but the rest of London holds no appeal to me.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:56 am

For me going to London is about going to Harrods, I went last year but before that I'd not been for a good number of years. I like their soft toy department :oops:.

I like visiting, but I'd rather live here. We have a lake as well but it's further away; and it's not really a lake as opposed to a reservoir (Kielder Reservoir). We have a number of large "ponds" hehe.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Dolly77 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:43 pm

I've really enjoyed reading your comments.

The reason I love London, is because I feel comfortable, a sense of belonging almost. And I feel safer in London, than I do in Nottingham. Home is where the heart is and my heart has never been in Nottingham, ever. London felt like a pair of slippers, I felt I could relax and just blend in. So not star struck, just comfortable (and yes, I do love Selfridges. After a youth spent having your mum buy all your clothes of the market, Selfridges just blew my socks off).
Dolly77
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby captainf » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:07 am

I can understand what you mean. I dont live in London anymore but as its the place I was born and raised I do go back there every few weeks/months.
However I still find places like southall really unsafe, especially at night.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to And the rest...