North/South Divide?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

North/South Divide

Do you think the North has more to offer?
13%
Or the South?
25%
Do you prefer life in the North?
8%
Or South?
21%
Are people friendlier in the North?
17%
Or South?
17%

Total votes : 24

North/South Divide?

Postby RagDoll » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:40 pm

Hi all,

Dipsy and I were just chatting about how great the north is (as we would) in the 'Thank Crunchie It's Friday' thread, as a result of discussing about how the north is sometimes talked about in a derogatory fashion, particularly in the news.

Anyway, thought it might be an interesting topic of conversation for everyone to get involved in :)

Do you think there's a north/south divide? Does the news unnecessarily pick on the north? (or south?) How do southerners perceive the north and vice versa and do you feel a strong identity to the particular region or end of the UK you live in?
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Re: North/South Divide?

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 pm

I do think there is a North/South divide; it doesn't mean to say it is deliberate but in most instances the area around the capital will be the most popular as you have the most chances and opportinities; business' buy it up, hence land prices increase. Becasue it is the capital if something happens it will have a greater impact because there are more people there.

I watch a lot of comedy and the only time the North is mentioned is for pies, drinking, chips or something abusive.

I LOVE the North and to be honest I love it here; there is so much to do; I don't do well in busy situations (like London) - whilst it is lovely to visit; I'd like to keep it that way.

I see the South from my point of view as being too built up; I am well aware there are lovely places in the South; my friend has driven me across the Southern Countryside and it is lovely but you for me you just can't beat the feeling of Bamburgh Beach (even in Winter). Plus we have Hadrians wall here; it's literally a 5 minute walk from my house to the end of the wall.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:06 pm

Oh you should have done a poll on this.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:25 pm

The south looks all built up from the ground but when you see it from the air its quite different.

I've lived in different parts of the south - London, Cornwall, Milton Keynes - each has good and bad points. I have visited other parts of the country including places in the Midlands like Birmingham, Rugby, Nottingham and parts of Derby.. furthest north i've been is Manchester.. however I dont really look at the whole 'north/south' divide stuff, I think its rubbish because in order to really enjoy being somewhere you have to take it for what it is. My nan hated Cornwall, but I actually liked the scenery, the beaches etc. I like Nottingham but alot of people say its bad for crime. I like London but its a bad place for crime too and isnt the cleanest of places neither.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:38 pm

The north/south divide is more about what Dipsy referred to though e.g. an economic divide, but I guess it could be a divide in attitudes as well. It's funny (from my point of view) that Manc is the furthest you've been, as to me that's not in the north (though I know technically it is), I feel like that's more in the middle somewhere really! I guess it just depends where you live though. Interesting.

Have you never been to Scotland then Captain?

I have never done a poll before, don't have much time to do it at the moment, but I might add one next week :) (unless someone else can add one? Don't know if it works like that when it's me who started the thread though..)
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby captainf » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:46 pm

Geographically Manchester is in the north, so it counts. Why are you surprised the furthest north i've been is Manchester?

Never been to Scotland, no. I would like to fly there one day because I find the true beauty of the UK isnt on the ground but in the air.

As for economic divide, not really much of one in my opinion - naturally everything would want to be closer to London, but to be fair Liverpool and Manchester dont do bad for business neither.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby sazzled » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:50 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:I see the South from my point of view as being too built up

So why is Kent called the "Garden of England" then?

Anyway, the furthest north I've been is Oswestry (North/East of Wales - on the England/Wales borderline) so I cannot comment on how the North/South divide thingy. In fact, there are many places in the south and centre of the UK where I haven't been!
It depends on the person and where they prefer to live. For example, I have 2 sisters. One lives in Oswestry with her boyfriend and loves it there, as there's alot of countryside, fresh air and alot of space to walk their dog. My other sister lives in Brighton with her boyfriend, 2 mins from the seafront. They love the vibrancy of the town and love being near the seaside.
I live in Essex...near London. Although I would like to move away from the part of Essex where I am, I do love living near London.
sazzled
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby RagDoll » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:58 pm

I didn't say I was surprised you hadn't been further north than Manchester, just saying it's funny to me as from my perspective it's not in the north (I did say I know it geographically is). It's just because I live quite a bit further north than Manchester, so my perception is that it's not part of the 'north'. It all just depends on where you live to how you perceive places I think.

I also find it kinda interesting that so far (this could well change, and probably will, when more people post) that the northerners have been further south than the southerners have been north.

What do you guys think about northern/southern identity? Do southerners think of themselves as such? I definitely think of myself as a northerner, but then again people from the north east are always said to have quite a strong sense of identity with their region
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:18 pm

I live and work in the North but our Head Office is in London, so we have to go there fairly regularly. We have some good banter about northerners and southerners - all of it really good natured (e.g. southerners feeling the cold). One thing I have noticed about London is that you have to keep reminding them that it isn't the centre of the universe! Also, I don't know whether this is just me, but I find it much more open and friendly in the North. London is fab for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there! Give me a friendly northern town any day :)

*Edit - Just realised that I've focussed on London a lot there. The smaller towns in the South are probably just as friendly as the North.
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby captainf » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:20 pm

It's just because I live quite a bit further north than Manchester, so my perception is that it's not part of the 'north'. It all just depends on where you live to how you perceive places I think.

It doesnt really depend on your perception though. Manchester is regarded as in the north, whether one percieves it to be or not. :P :D Although if we're taking into account the whole of the UK, isnt the Northern part of the UK scotland? Wouldnt Newcastle/Manchester etc would be part of Northern England?

Do you mean that most northerners on this forum have been south than vice versa or is there a true national statistic to show this? I'm abit confused.

I've never really thought of the whole north/south identity thing. I have known most of my friends from the north to constantly make silly comments about us 'southerners' but never really taken any notice. I'm from London originally so that makes me a Londoner but ive never really thought of myself as a 'southerner'
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby rufio89 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:30 pm

I live in the Midlands, so dont really notice it! :)
rufio89
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby RagDoll » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:16 pm

captainf wrote:It doesnt really depend on your perception though. Manchester is regarded as in the north, whether one percieves it to be or not.

I know it is, I've said that twice already, I am just saying for me personally, not anyone else, and certainly not on a map/geographically, that Manchester doesn't FEEL like the north, because it's quite a bit further south from where I am! I'm not disputing that technically it's in the north.

captainf wrote:Do you mean that most northerners on this forum have been south than vice versa or is there a true national statistic to show this? I'm abit confused.

Sorry, I meant that given the people that had posted when I said what I did e.g. you, Dipsy, Sazzled and I, the northerners e.g. Dipsy and I, had been further south than the southerners had been north e.g. you and Sazzled. Hope that makes sense :) it was just an observation, nothing more.

Jo wrote:Also, I don't know whether this is just me, but I find it much more open and friendly in the North. London is fab for a visit but I wouldn't want to live there! Give me a friendly northern town any day

I personally think there is something in that. I know London is an easy target to pick on, but the first example that sprang to mind was the fact that everyone seems so miserable and unfriendly on the tube, hardly anyone smiles. It's generally not like that in the north.
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Skarlet » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:24 pm

I think the thing to remember is, that alot of the time everyone forgets about the smaller towns in the south. Everything gets focused on London, but not alot on anywhere else, unless you are watching local news. Its like London is the only part of the south that is worth talking about.

I haven't been very far north, although I would love to visit Scotland, Whitehaven(My dad is from there) and a whole lot of other places that seem really interesting.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby captainf » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Thanks for clarifying, I understand what you mean now.

As for London being an unfriendly place, not sure I really agree, nor do I disagree to be honest. There are some people in London that are really nice, and then there are some right horrible people too, I imagine Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester.. are also like that.
The reason why no one smiles on the tube is because its over crowded and out dated.

I have family in Newcastle. They seem happy enough there.
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:54 pm

Polls can only be created in the first post of a topic, Ragdoll. I can't see any way I can add one (although I haven't mastered all the mod stuff yet by a long chalk, so you never know :oops: ). If you really want one, you could re-start the topic by creating a new thread, and I could move the posts across.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chit Chat