Fallout with a friend 2

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Fallout with a friend 2

Postby wiseone » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:03 pm

Dear all,

I have a female friend who asked my opinion on the latest beau she likes, who used to be an old mate of mine before he lost himself to the bottle , i stated that she could do better and he has a drink problem and a string of broken women behind him , i thought she would be grateful for my honesty..............cue the reply i received which said i was a horrible person and am only saying that because i like her and want no one else to have her (not true now a while back maybe).

Was i right to tell her what i did or should of sugar coated it ? as now shes ignoring all me calls !

i think ill put this down to experience !
wiseone
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Re: Fallout with a friend 2

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:12 am

You should have sugar coated it; still tell the truth but in a nicer way.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:15 am

in my personal opinion i always appreciate my friends telling me straight and giving me their utmost opinion, afterall who can i trust to do so?
however, this approach may come across blunt and abrasive to others and it seems like it has offended your friend, i would apologise to her for upsetting her and make a mental note to self to be more tactful in how you approach her questions.
it does seem a little ridculous that she thinks you are only saying this to put her off him and is using this as an excuse maybe to ignore your opinion, if she really thought that why did she ask you in the first place.
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:31 am

earthchild wrote:in my personal opinion i always appreciate my friends telling me straight and giving me their utmost opinion, afterall who can i trust to do so?

You do want people to tell you the truth, sometimes it would just be nicer to have it worded nicely.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby earthchild » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:06 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:You do want people to tell you the truth, sometimes it would just be nicer to have it worded nicely.

i get your point totally, but in this instant
isnt it nice to hear that someone isnt good enough for you?
and i dont think there is a nice way of telling someone that someone they likes has a drink problem or that they have hurt alot of people..
The Truth
Truth is a sweet nectar from an honest fruitful heart,
from the fruit come seeds and
from the seeds you have a harvest full of dreams.

(native american proverb)
earthchild
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:14 pm

I know but saying "they are a stupid alcoholic" as opposed to "they drink far too much, I would advise against it" would have been better.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby wiseone » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:56 am

Dear all,

Well shes not returning my calls so its over ! thing is she knows what these guys are like but she goes ahead with it anyway ,

W1
wiseone
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:32 pm

she will find out in time you are right, maybe then you can rekindle the friendship and she weill lern to appreciate your honesty in the future
It annoys me that people ask for the truth but when you give it to them they blame you for having an opinion because they don't like what you say.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:46 pm

I agree you were right to tell her your honest opinion,even if it isnt what she wanted to hear.In my opinion,a true friend will tell you the truth even if they dont necessarily agree or if it will hurt your feelings,at least thats what I expect from my friends.Then again,she has chosen to ignore you and that is up to her but at least you know you warned her.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby wiseone » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Dear all,

I wont be bothering to re kindle it tbh as shes too immature to be around, i find her victim routine tiresome at the best , and its not rewarding when your sitting there watching her wantonly self destruct.

W1
wiseone
One of the Crowd
One of the Crowd

Return to Friends