What can I expect?

For any problem to do with being 16 or under.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

What can I expect?

Postby WildChild » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi there.
I'm 13 and I'm kind of scared gettin' my first period? what can I expect? does it hurt? are there any warnings?
WildChild
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: What can I expect?

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:26 am

So you are 13 in this post, but 14 in another post...
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby WildChild » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:36 pm

yup, I have notice the mistake. Sorry for that, but I don't know how to change it..
But I'm 13 ^^
WildChild
Just Landed
Just Landed

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:17 am

There is a little box for edit on the top right hand corner of your post that you can click and edit your post.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:23 pm

here is a link to help ypu

http://www.likeitis.org/periods.html
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby Sebastian » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:34 pm

Seeing as no one else has answered you question, I will :D Even if I am a man.
When I had my first girlfriend, we were together when she had her 1st period at 14. We were close and she told me about it.
Now from what she told me, You may get stomach cramps, you may not. And the pain changes from person to person. (her friends were very graphic)
She also told me that, it usually happens over night, and you wake up with mess in your pyjamas. Her mum was cool with it, and didnt tell any of her family, as not to upset her, or get her embarressed. :oops:
Some girls dont have any pain during theirs, but some girls have extreme pains. You can buy "Feminax" I believe from your Chemist, that help with the pains.
I also read up on periods, (my girlfriend is very stressy during hers, best to do what she wants) and you can get mood swings, back and hip pain. Or even in some cases swellings of the ankles. But you most likly have a painless period, and nothing will happen. As for pads and tampons, you can buy them in any shop or supermarket. (yet again, my girlfriend is very tempermental when it comes to getting the right ones) from what I gather, there arnt really any wrong ones you can get. Just find the ones that a right for you :D
I hope this helps a bit, althought I have never had one myself, and I dont know too much about them. I hope you know what to do :D If anything is wrong girls. Tell me off :wink:
Sebastian
Sebastian
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby Jemima » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

hey, i'm just 14 and i got my period when i was nearly 13, so i'll tell you everything about what to expect!
at first i have to admit i was kind of freaked out becuase (i dont want to scare you) but i thought that i had crapped my pants because the first one isnt red blood, just browny black with a tint of red. ( i cant believe i'm actually saying this haha!!) but this meant that my second one was pretty shocking as it was a lot more bl***y *i'm not swearing but it thinks i am and wont let me type it!* compared to my first, it was a bit cringey for a bit as i'm pretty squimish but you get over it and dont look too much!
i personally get really painful pains and the day before mine start i get very wound up, and you might feel like your about to cry! dont be afraid to cry btw, it makes you feel better!
i get waves of sharp pains in my back and down my legs but not so much in my tummy. my friend does get them in her stomach though. my mum actually doesnt have any pains so you might be lucky. if you do end up suffering with pains, nerofen is my LIFE SAVOR!! also ibroprofen and paracetomol take away the pain for a few hours. i've never actually cried from the amount of pain cos i have a pretty strong pain thresh hold but i have been close before. they just make you want to fidget a bit and jiggle your leg up and down and wince.
the day it comes, dont be offended if your friends say 'no offence... but you dont look so good..' because (i'm being honest here) you look awful...well i do!! once even my (male) teacher told me i didnt look very well and to get some sleep which happened to be the day mine was due! (he didnt know a thing though!!!)
becuase of you losing blood constantly you get really tired and pale but it's okay, it's completely normal!!
me and my friends find that every other period is heavier. i also find that the lighter ones are more painful... which is kind of weird to be honest but i guess that might just be me!
The thing about you getting increased discharge before you start is actually rubbish (for me it was anyway!!) i had been getting discharge since i was about 9-10 and i find it decreases when you're about to start!
yep i can feel it when i'm on my period but not everyone can. it kind of feels like your peeing yourself at times (especially if you're with your friends and they're making you laugh..<<< avoid that! haha) but you arent. promise. and even if you were you pretty much have a nappy on anyways!!! sorry that was a bad joke.
pretty much every girl out there gets a bit/quite/very spotty before they start but they start to clear up pretty much from the day it comes. mine pretty much came regularly from the first time but i have a close friend who got hers exactly a week before mine (which was a year ago) and at exactly the same time as her first one, she got her second one. she hasnt had her third one yet so i think she might be seeing her GP because of it, dont worry if this happens it's totally normal! loads of girls get it!! i'm afraid i kind of suffer when i'm on mine but i'm just unlucky! :)
also (this is totally embarrasing but every gets it) if you wear a pad like me, (i'm too scared to wear a tampon juust yet!) at the end where there isnt much blood you might get a bit itchy. it's really anoying but something you have to put up with. it's not thrush! dont worry, i was worried about that too!!
WASH EVERY DAY!! ( as much as i'm blushing saying this) theres a bit of a pong that comes with it so wash, seriously, i'm not kidding here...!!
and laaastly...swimming and bathing. no blood doesnt come out whilst you're in water but it does as soon as you arent. i was on holiday in turkey at the hottest point of the year, it was the last few days of the holiday left and of course, my luck, my period came but the weather went up to about 51 degrees C so i couldnt not go swimming! i went swimming without wearing a tampon and honestly nothing comes out. i just had to sprint to the bathroom and sit on the loo for a while to er... drip... :S sorry!!
good luck!!!
i'm sorry if you were blushing whilst reading this but once you start, you gossip about it with any girl because they all know what its like :)
xxx
Jemima
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Return to Under 16s