North/South Divide?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

North/South Divide

Do you think the North has more to offer?
13%
Or the South?
25%
Do you prefer life in the North?
8%
Or South?
21%
Are people friendlier in the North?
17%
Or South?
17%

Total votes : 24

Re: North/South Divide?

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:52 pm

RagDoll wrote:Hello Kerrie, nice to see you again :)

Hi,its good to be back lol
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Dipsy - your comment about that girl from the farmers family, I know what you mean. In the news you hear about how poor farmers are but this isnt always true - they tend to forget that there are alot of farmers around who own their own planes.. and planes arent cheap.

Regarding to snobbery, yes you are quite correct that not everyone is like that. A good friend of mine is a Cambridge graduate, she isnt a snob neither, but when I asked her about what it was like there she said that you get a small group of normal people and then you get a big group of rich snobs. A shame in a way because eventhough they all went to Cambridge the snobs will still end up working along side people who didnt anyway so the whole 'im better than you' attitude is pretty stupid.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:47 pm

I see the BBC pinched our idea. A one hour BBC2 programme last night on the North-South divide! Did anyone see it? Did it change anyone's mind?
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:27 am

snail wrote:I see the BBC pinched our idea. A one hour BBC2 programme last night on the North-South divide! Did anyone see it? Did it change anyone's mind?

Did they? Such theifs!!! They stole your idea Ragdoll! [-X

captainf wrote:Dipsy - your comment about that girl from the farmers family, I know what you mean. In the news you hear about how poor farmers are but this isnt always true - they tend to forget that there are alot of farmers around who own their own planes.. and planes arent cheap.

I know that is why I mentioned it; his eldest daughter went to uni for 3 years (he paid), his middle daughter for 5 years (she is a doctor) and his youngest daughter (my friend) went for 3 years (doing physics), went back to school to do an A-level in Biology and Chemistry for a year, then is currently on her 4th year (I think) of a medicine course. I mean being poor farmers children they haven't done bad! I think my friend was quite poor compared to the people she went to private boarding school with but she was still very well off (she went to school with Mr JCB's daughter).

Ok a lot of farmers will be well of but a lot won't be; I do remember my friend saying that it cost them more to produce the milk than it did to sell it; they aren't a dairy farm anymore. But they were obviously doing ok.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:18 am

Damn BBC - I got there first!! haha. Unfortunately I didn't see it, so can't comment. Wish I had though!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:22 am

What was it called Snail?

You can watch it via the internet from bbc i player. I might have to do that.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Here you go, Dips. I love iPlayer.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... th_Divide/

It was repeated late last night as well. I wasn't terribly impressed with it myself - the facts were interesting but Prescott didn't seem to want to listen to anyone else's opinion. But it was worth watching just for his wife's mascara smudges :sick:
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:32 pm

snail wrote:it was worth watching just for his wife's mascara smudges

hahahahahaha.

I never use i-player. My boyfriend does all the time though.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Im going to watch it on catch up tonight,after eastenders and corrie :) (Ok I sounded about 80 there lol,what a thrilling life I lead!)
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby captainf » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:36 pm

Dipsy, yes she was probably poor on the rich side, as in not as rich as Mr JCB's daughter, but still richer than most as she had private education and uni.
As I said previously, I know of a few farmers who own their own planes so they're not all bad off.

Speaking of JCB, they have 1 private jet and I believe 2 helicopters. I think all are based at east mids airport. A good friend of mine is soon going to have a tour of their private jet all because one of the pilots who trains the JCB pilots liked his photos.
Remember how the runway lights looked one night long ago when you were lost and found your way, and how-you still dont know?
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:14 am

captainf wrote:Dipsy, yes she was probably poor on the rich side, as in not as rich as Mr JCB's daughter, but still richer than most as she had private education and uni.

Oh I agree.

I grew up in a poor place where only one person in my year at school had a computer (she used to get loads of extra merits/credits for typing her work up - it was unfair since most of the population at school were on the poverty line) - my boyfriend doesn't seem to understand how much luckier he has been than me - they always have the latest gadgets and technology - I mean his dad was showing me one of hte very first camcorders out that they'd bought and he was laughnig at it - I didn't volunteer we'd never had one - they were too expensive when I was young. I now live in a slightly better area but most of the surrounding areas are very poor. We aren't massively rich BUT I've grown up to appreciate how much more I've had and how much luckier I have been than most people I know - my boyfriend doesn't seem to realise how well off they actually were. They own the house they live in, they have a house in Faro (very big) and they have a tiny house on an island off Faro (ok this house was bought for next to nothing) but I mean you have to be pretty lucky in life to get all of this.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby captainf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:39 pm

I was in the same situation as you regarding to school. I didnt have a computer, a few of my friends did and they got all the merits - I think the merit method was pretty ridiculous looking back because I was a good student - homework done, answered questions correctly etc and each year we always found out the good well behaved students finished with the least amount of merits whereas the naughtiest ones or rich (have a PC etc) ones would finish with the most.

Also I find it pointless trying to explain things out to rich people. I know of various people younger than me whos parents paid for their flying training and they're off to the airlines now - they fail to see why its taking me longer than it is them and dont seem to understand the concept that I have had to earn every penny to fly unlike them. One guy I know, his parents remortgaged their house to pay for his training, yet he had his own place to live. Its a good laugh listening to them guys though and how 'hard' and 'difficult' they claim their life has been and how much effort they had to put in to become a pilot.. to be fair the only problem I have ever had with flying is how expensive it is - I have given up alot just to cut expenses.

Your boyfriend has had it quite good by the sounds of it - especially as his parents have 3 houses! I think the trouble is that people often forget that things can be worse, so when you see the rich people with 3 houses, 3 cars, their own plane etc rather than being thankful for it they're often thinking 'oh i wish I had 5 houses, 6 cars and 2 planes instead' Of course theres no harm in bettering your life (like you have) but naturally theres always a cut off point where greed comes in to it (just to point out you're nowhere near that)
captainf
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:14 am

captainf wrote:each year we always found out the good well behaved students finished with the least amount of merits whereas the naughtiest ones or rich (have a PC etc) ones would finish with the most.

It's because the naughty ones if they do something good they get awarded for it. I remember doing an essay in English once; my friend did it well first time. I somehow missed the point and had to basically re-write my whole essay about 10 times; at the end I got a merit because I'd improved so much and she didn't (she was fuming). This is the same friend who got merits for typing up her work.

captainf wrote:Your boyfriend has had it quite good by the sounds of it - especially as his parents have 3 houses!

Oh I know!! Although I wouldn't really class the 3rd one as a house; but it's certainly livable-in. As we were dicussing with my farm-friend. I think my boyfriend is the "poor" one of his friends; where his poor is certainly well off. I know a lot of people would kill to get in his "poor" position.

captainf wrote: think the trouble is that people often forget that things can be worse

Oh I know; I mean we (my family) are very lucky now; we can afford luxuries, I went to uni, I have a car, my dad has a car - but it wasn't always like this at all and I think I appreciate how "lucky" we are in regards to other people; especially since a lot of my friends who I went to school with can barely survive. I rememver when I was in school we'd had a take away and my friend came over not long afterwards (my friend was very poor); and a few weeks later we'd had a take away as a treat; and she came over afterwards so I'd obviously mentioned what I'd ate; she went home and told her mam that she didn't think I was eating properly cos I'd had 2 takeaways (we rarely eat takeaways really) and every week my friend used to make me to go her house for tea/dinner because she was worried about me - I used to admire her for this because she liked me enough to care about me. I think it helped her 5 year old twin brother and sister thought the sun shone out of me. Her brother who is autistic and rarely spoke to anyone outside the family used to love talking to me and playing with me; they'd said he was in the bath once and he'd just come out with "I love dipsy" - it was sooooooooooooooo sweet. lol.

captainf wrote:Of course theres no harm in bettering your life

I think the point in bettering yourself is remembering where you came from and having your feet on the ground.

captainf wrote:Its a good laugh listening to them guys though and how 'hard' and 'difficult' they claim their life has been

I have a friend like this; she's been so hard done to her whole life - quite frankly she's really annoying with it now. She decided me and another friend (her 2 best friends) are no longer upper class enough for her.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby RagDoll » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:26 am

I tried to watch that north/south divide programme on BBC 2 last night, but it wouldn't work! Grrr!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:13 am

The the i-player link Snail sent further up in this thread.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

PreviousNext

Return to Chit Chat