Money, car troubles

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Money, car troubles

Postby everloney » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:52 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm alittle stressed today over car issues. So my friend gave me her old car, i just had to pay to get it fixed, she said it would cost $800, so i agreed to go for it. Its an old car, 1994, but i cant afford much on my wages and i cant get a car on credit in the US because i have no history. Trying to get around california without a car is hard, you can't even go shopping.... so the car was fixed then it broke down with-in five minutes of me taking it. My friend took it back to the garage and it cost another $400 to fix, i tryed to take it again last night and it broke down again!! the police had to save me!! I just don't know what to do, i was planning on using the car for my driving test in a week and for when my brother and sister came to visit. Now im not sure what to do, i mean how much money am i willing to throw into this car? I have already lost $1200, which is half of the money i had saved for a car and the other half i have spent on stuff for my room as i have moved and it was unfurnised. I'm so annoyed about this and i just don't know what to do, i really want to do my driving test next week, i am thinking of renting a car for it.

Also i have insurance on the not working car and to cancel is $50, i have already paid $200 in insurance fees, so im going to lose $250 in fees... I'm seriously thinking about forgetting getting a car till next year, renting one for my test and one for when my sibs come. I need to save money for my flight home at xmas too.....

Oh im so stressed about all of this.... maybe i should of stayed in the UK.

I mean i studied at uni for years got a PhD and my sister who works in a carehome (im not knocking her, she likes her job and im happy for her but she didn't study for 6 years!) is getting a brand new car. I feel like ive been working all my life up till now and i have nothing to show for it. I mean i did spend 4000quid travelling the beginning of this year but it was something that was important to me...

ahhh cheer me up and give me advise please

thanks xx
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Re: Money, car troubles

Postby MrsD86 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi,
I think your best bet here is to get shot of this car. a car made in 1994 is not worth the amount you are spending to get it repaired - the car isn't even worth that amount of money if you were to sell it.
I had this problem a few years ago - the car itself was only worth £200 if that, and the garage were trying to get me to pay £1000+ for a new engine.

So I think, if the car isn't worth the amount you are spending on repairing it - get rid. Unless of course you love it that much :D xx
MrsD86
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:03 am

I agree with MrsD.

I'd rent a car for your test and when your brother and sister come to visit.

everloney wrote:I mean i studied at uni for years got a PhD and my sister who works in a carehome (im not knocking her, she likes her job and im happy for her but she didn't study for 6 years!) is getting a brand new car. I feel like ive been working all my life up till now and i have nothing to show for it. I mean i did spend 4000quid travelling the beginning of this year but it was something that was important to me...

But in those 6 years at uni your sister will have been working full time. I am in the same boat as you; I was at uni for 5 years; ok I did buy a brand new car (a cheap one) but it is mainly due to the fact I lived at home to try and save and I also worked a lot of hours whilst at uni. For my first degree we had about 30 hours at uni (a lot were lab time), plus at least 10 hours of home work a week plus I worked about 30 hours. I was out with a friend years ago and we were both at uni and he was saying his friend who left school at 16 had just bought a sports car...we were both penny-less students. Just think in the long run that you will be the one with the new car; also you don't know how much debt your sister has or how much loan she's got for her car etc.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:59 am

Up until 5 years ago I had a huge run of old cars and I was 33 when i finally got a really nice one so don't worry.
Renting a car is a great idea as you can have one as and when you need it.
Would a scooter be an option as they are much cheaper If it makes you feel any better my hubby bought a car for £3000 a few years back and spent nearly £3000 getting it repaired. He sold it once it was sorted as he lost all heart for it.What has the garage fixed so far and what is wrong with it this time. If they didn't fix it properly the first time then maybe they need to be doing a free reapir this time.
Can you get a quote for this repair before getting it done and maybe use a different garage, get a recommendation from some local people. Is there anyway you can get the car itess checked for a small fee. I know the AA do it here for arounf £100. Once repaired this time perhaps you can sell it to get some of your money backThis could just as easily have happened in the UK so don't give up on USA because of a car
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby everloney » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks guys, i know your all right. I think sometimes i feel like i would have got more out of life by now... i know im only 25, but i don't feel settled at all in life and feel like a teen still waiting for things to happen. I know this is crazy i am only unsettled due to my own choices, had i not gone traveling and then stayed working in the uk, i'm pretty sure i would be debtless and potentially have a nice car. Then i don't regret traveling or coming to the states, i think experiences are more important than having flashy things.... why i blew so much traveling, i worked really hard to save it, but i did save it to go traveling... I think we are going to take the car back to the garage and try and get it fixed, one more time. We had a complete auto check and the guy said there was one thing that may go at some point and we think thats what went... if it is still not working, we are cutting are loses and i will lump it without a car till next year. This will give me time to save for one...

You guys are right in time i will have money and a career i love, i am still young i should enjoy my experience of the US. I think i am just torn in two, part of me wants to settle down, have a family etc, like right now (i think this is prob due to my upbringing..) and the other part of me wants to explore and have at much fun as poss while i am still young... Which is why im in the states, i have no plans to settle here, i'm here for two years then i want to return home to settle when im 27.... you know get my own place, a dog and a car and start having responsibilities....
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:23 am

everloney wrote:I think i am just torn in two, part of me wants to settle down, have a family etc, like right now (i think this is prob due to my upbringing..) and the other part of me wants to explore and have at much fun as poss while i am still young...

For me, you need to have as much fun as possible now whilst you are a) young and b) have no real responsibilities (a family/baby). I'd also like to have a family and settle down etc but at the minute as I spent so long at uni, I am enjoying some freedom, saving and going on holiday because the minute you buy a house/have a baby - you will have no money left to do what you want to do, so you may as well try and do as much as possible now.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby everloney » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:27 pm

Hey guys, so i have another few issues now... the car was fixed and then broke again. I was borrowing a friends car and was in an accident last night, it was my fault.... I am in big trouble now and i am worried about how much this may end up costing me.... oh dear.... i feel sad now... i hope it doesn't cost too much....
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby peecee » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:35 pm

Hey, sweet pea, what happened? :o Are you ok? Never mind the car for a minute - what about you?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby everloney » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Im fine thanks peecee and so are the other people, i just feel terrible about it.... :( I didn't mean to hit them.... my cars ok and theres is alittle dented...
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby peecee » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Sweet pea, you can tell us what happened. The first time I was in a crash, I thought I could handle it, even though I felt worse than I'd ever felt in my life, and cried all day.

Afterwards, I started having panic attacks because of the crash, and eventually decided to post on PP, even though I felt daft about it! Everybody was wonderful, and made me feel so much better.

You know by now that you can get things off your chest here, and we'll all look after you. I think you'll feel better if you offload, but I know you'll do it in your own time. when you're ready. We're not going anywhere. :D

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
pee
Shine your light and let the whole world see.
peecee
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:29 am

peecee wrote:Sweet pea, you can tell us what happened. The first time I was in a crash, I thought I could handle it, even though I felt worse than I'd ever felt in my life, and cried all day.

My first crash wasn't that bad (it wasn't my fault) a bus that drove into the side of me - the bust driver made me get on his bus full of people and shouted at me when everyone left only then did he apologise. The crash wasn't the bad part for me - the bus insurance company and garage were the nightmare. They'd called me early (about 8am) on Christmas eve demanding their car back as there was no way in hell I'd ever be getting my car back so therefore I wouldn't be insured on there car - when I was driving home a man fell over in front of the car. I stopped to help him obviously (I didn't hit him) and when I got home my dad screamed at me saying I need to be more careful - and how was I to anticipate a man blacking out on the footpath and falling into the road? Anyway surely it can't be as bad as that; tell us :).

I told the bus insurance company man about the garage taking the car off me and I got £100 extra for ruining my Christmas - I was NOT impressed for being car less when I NEEDED to drive.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby everloney » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:08 pm

It wasn't as bad as that.... I just backed into someone in a parking lot, my friends car (which i was driving) was fine but te other car had a dent in it. The worst part of it is that its my friends car.... so they are claiming from her insurance so her premium will go up. I feel so terrible and i have offered to pay any costs she gets... including the increase in her premium.... i think it will be like $200 or something.... I also have my USA driving test next week i was going to use her car, but since thurs i have been too scared to drive it.... i havn't asked if i can still use it, i feel so terrible... Also i still have the car at my place and i need to go food shopping but im afraid to drive it....

I have another car, which my other friend gave me to keep and its mine now, but it keeps breaking down and they took it to get it fixed again but they havn't been to pick it up because they are soo busy... and i don't want to ask them again, i said i would pick it up but they said they wanted to do it.... also its broken down three times since i took it so im worried it will break down again... i feel like im in such a fix over this stuff....
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:45 am

I would just cut your losses with this car that keeps breaking down; there is only so much money you can spend on a car.

Since my accident I have driven down the same road about 3 times (in 2 years); no doubt you will be worried about driving again but it was a little mistake anyone can do it (I reversed into the neighbour across the street's dad's car - he is the most horrible man in the world). He said to me "did you not see it?" - well err obvioulsy not otherwise I wouldn't have driven into it - IDIOT! The point is you can't let one "little mistake" stop you from driving again. Everyone does it at some point in their lives - my dad reversed into a LARGE brick wall after a loss at the football lol. My boss at work reversed into one of the guests we had at work for an important meeting.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:33 am

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:My boss at work reversed into one of the guests we had at work for an important meeting.

:o
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:17 am

ha, I know Snail.

The nice lady guest I still think gave us work too - we are a consultancy business so I think she was in to see what we could offer her hahaha...oops.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Next

Return to Finances