Is our landlord breaking the law?

For any money-related worries.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Is our landlord breaking the law?

Postby MrsD86 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:46 am

Myself, my husband and our baby moved into a 2 bed house in June this year - we are renting off a friend of the family who was desperate to get out, as we were from our small 1 bed flat.
Our landlord photocopied a contract template from a local estate agent, clearly did not read any of the regulations on the back pages, signed it, and gave us a copy for us to sign. All was ok at the beginning.
After living here now for 4 months, we have now noticed things we are not sure are legal.

The first few points are minor problems, problem 4 is the one I'm asking whether is legal or not.

1 - the window in our sons bedroom has a huge smash in it - which is resulting in the room getting extremely cold. We have asked him time and time again to get this fixed, and he promises but never follows his promise through.
2 - the carpet has not been stapled down, so now the corners are turning upwards, and our baby is pulling bits off and eating it - resulting in choking.
3 - the wallpaper is literally hanging off the walls, again, our baby is picking this off and choking on it.
4 -this is the main concern - we have no central heating (the house is run on electric only) and the only means of heating are portable heaters, which blow out hot air. As you can imagine, as soon as these are turned off, the house goes cold straight away. We have a broken heater that is attached to the wall, which is apparently dangerous! The landlord told us not to turn it on as it sparks! Surely this should be removed if it is a safety hazard? We have a 10 month old baby so I am not happy about this hazard.

So my main question is - what is the legal requirement when it comes to heating in an electric run home? Now the winter is drawing in we are noticing a huge drop in temperature in the house - so much so, that my son woke up the other day with blue lips.
Is there anyone out there that knows anything about this?
MrsD86
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Re: Is our landlord breaking the law?

Postby Skarlet » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:40 am

There are some requirements. http://www.themovechannel.com/guides/Le ... _landlord/ here is a list of things that a landlord needs to do. I think that the best bet would be to go the citizens advice bureau. They will be able to help you, How long is your tenancy agreement?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby MrsD86 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:26 am

It runs at one year at a time. I obviously don't want to cause a conflict between us and our landlord, but perhaps this will be the only way to make him see he's in the wrong
MrsD86
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:50 am

He is definately in the wrong!!!

Contact Citizens advice ASAP.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Skarlet » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Check the contract you have signed, if its not properly constructed you might be able to get out of it. Is he the landlord for your friend, or are you subletting?
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby MrsD86 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:42 pm

He is our landlord. He is a friend of the family.

I will do, how do citizens advice work? Can you call for advice or do you need a meeting?
MrsD86
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:17 pm

You can do both; our local citizens advice do phone advice in the morning and appointments in the afternoon (or the other way around). Give them a call and ask for advice first; they may suggest going in for an appointment.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby kerrie24 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:39 am

I THINK?? its legal for them to copy the agency tenancy agreement (mine does anyway)and I would say the wallpaper and carpets are up to you to sort out but the window and heater sounds dangerous and Im sure he would be required to do this as it is safety.
Lots of people only have the electric heaters and I dont think he is obliged to put in anything else unless the full system was unsafe.I think citizens advice is a good idea cos they will know the proper regulations etc.
kerrie24
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Return to Finances