How much sleep do you need?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: How much sleep do you need?

Postby everloney » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:50 pm

Cool topic, i did alittle experiment when i was in the UK before i moved for my job. I had alot of spare time and was working nights. I think i miss those days... anyway... I found out i need 8 and a half hours sleep. If i went to bed at 12am with no alarm set, i would wake up at 8.30am... if i went to bed in the morning at 6am (after working a night) i would wake up at 2.30pm with no alarm. So i figured my body wants 8 and a half, I am so jealous of people that need any less, its so annoying needing so much sleep i would rather be doing fun stuff or getting more work done. I feel like all i do is work,sleep and eat...

I'm mean to my body though, i prob allow it 7 hours per night in the week and the try and pay some of my sleep debt off on the weekends...

I read some were if you dont get enough sleep in the week, you will try and make it up on the weekends (or whenever you don't have work, children etc). So there for i lose 7 and a half hours per week.

To pay this debt off on my two lay in days i would need to sleep each night 12 hours and 15 minutes.. (8.5+8.5+7.5 / 2.... Then 25/100 x 60)

I don't get that much sleep on my weekend days, i prob get 10 hours each night.... Thats 4 and a half hours short.... Maybe this explains the bags under my eyes...
everloney
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby snail » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:16 pm

I need eight and a half hours too. Allowing for time to fall asleep etc that means I need at least nine hours in bed. It is a pain, but there's a correlation between sleeping longer and better health and longer life (at least if you don't have a pre-existing health problem that is in itself causing you to need more rest).

However, if you routinely need more than 10 hours a night you officially have a sleep disorder. One of my exes was like this - he had narcolepsy.
How we spend our days is how we spend our lives.

Annie Dillard
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Skarlet » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:30 pm

I need at least seven. But at the moment I am having disturbed sleep, I am dreaming that there are insects or something is happening, and i end up trying to talk to my bf, and moving around whilst asleep, he then has to talk to me, before I will lie back down. Don't really know why its happening.
Skarlet
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Postby Jo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:05 am

I need around 7 or 8hrs. I used to manage on a lot less when I was younger but I just can't do it any more. My nights of regularly staying up until 2am are well and truly over. Being tired stops me from working properly, makes me bad tempered, makes me crave rubbish food and gives me a headache! I actually feel like a different person when I've had enough sleep.
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:26 pm

I need at least 8 hours preferably 9 but because my Rheumatoid Arthiritis isn't under control and I have had so much stress lately, which aggravates my condition, I have been lucky to get 5 hours. It makes me more emotional when I don't get enough sleep and I hate that.
Normally when I am well I just lay on the pillow and I am asleep within seconds and sleep throughout the night. I do toss and turn alot which wakes my hubby up but not me. He says I thrash not turn 8-[ . Apparently it is common in people who do or have slept walk and I used to sleep walk when I was younger.
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Previous

Return to Chit Chat