Shocked - People Getting Sacked!

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

Re: Shocked - People Getting Sacked!

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:06 pm

Be careful about complaing too much though as if they decide on any redundancies you have given them all the ammunition they need to get rid of you without any arguements if you keep telling them you don't have enough work
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby RagDoll » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:10 pm

they must be aware I have no work already though as my manager isn't telling me to do anything and I can't just make it up! It's a ridiculous situation. I doubt they will make me redundant for a year anyhow, as they have just paid for my uni tuition fees.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Weasley » Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:31 pm

I got a job at a small website design company and although they have quite strict rules on internet usage, as we have to look at peoples websites all day they don't really know which are legit and which aren't!
I remember my last job in England was strict too - as my boss was my friend on Facebook and I went on one morning before I started work and did something and she saw - she went mad! (hence why I no longer have Facebook either!)
I think some companies are just a lot stricter than others on this.
xxx :)
Weasley
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture

Postby RagDoll » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 am

Captain, sorry, just noticed your reply to me. Yeh, I guess in a sense I am covering my own back (although that's not my motive). I think if anyone did investigate my internet usage, at worst I would get a warning as I am not spending 98% of my time on the net, which is what the two who got sacked were doing.

I still don't think it's fair though - ok, they were breaking company policy and that's wrong, but surely their manager is at least partly culpable?! Either they had no work to do anyway (which would be my guess), but even if they did, surely he should have realised it wasn't getting done and pulled them up on it?! He can't be the best of managers not to have noticed something was wrong!
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby Jo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:44 am

RagDoll wrote:I have also set up a meeting with my line manager to discuss my workload (e.g. lack of it), I've done this before and it's not got me anywhere, but I think I'm going to be more blunt and forceful about it this time.

Careful you don't talk yourself out of a job RagDol! :o
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Previous

Return to Chit Chat