E-mail notifications

Are you a registered user having trouble using the forums? Come here to ask for support, especially if something doesn't work as expected.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

E-mail notifications

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Hello lovely mods,

I've noticed that sometimes i'll get an e-mail notification of a reply in a post i'm contributing to, only to pop on over to find there are actually a lot of replies since mine.

Is this an anti-spamming feature, i.e. if there have been more than say 3 replies within 5 minutes only send one email, or is it a bug?

In any event it's not a problem really, just an observation.

ILC
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: E-mail notifications

Postby Jo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:31 pm

I'm really not sure! It could well be a spam measure - it would make sense not to send a notification every single time someone replies to a busy thread - it's probably coded that way but I can't say for sure without doing a bit of research!
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby snail » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:33 pm

I can't be completely sure what you mean, ILC, as I don't use this feature myself on PP, but generally with forums only one email update is sent, and no more will be sent (regardless of how many replies there are) until you re-visit the topic. This saves you getting several emails when one would do, because all you really need to know is that the topic has had a reply, not details of all the replies. The idea also is that if you haven't bothered to re-visit the topic after the first email, you are not likely to still want constant updates.

I actually post on forums as part of my paid work, and I am very grateful for this feature, as some threads I am subscribed to get several replies an hour, and my in-box would rapidly become full if an email was sent for every new post.

It might be possible to change some settings so you get an email for each reply - maybe one of the admins will know.

EDIT: Cross-posted with Jo there.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:32 am

Ok still related to this topic but slightly different; is there an option to have the box un-checked all the time as in default? (not necessarily for everyone but as a default for individual people, that yuo can set from your user control panel), as like Snail I don't use the feature as my inbox gets too full.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:37 am

Go to your User Control Panel, click the tab that says Board Preferences, then select Edit Posting Defaults from the side menu, then where it says "Notify me upon replies by default" make sure the "no" box is checked.
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:26 pm

YAY brilliant, thank you. For 2 years I've been clicking the "no" button.

I bet I click the button out of habit now to yes lol
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Jo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:09 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:YAY brilliant, thank you. For 2 years I've been clicking the "no" button.

Awww dipsy! lol!
Jo
Site Owner
Site Owner

Return to Forum Support