What do you do when you get into bed?

This area is for general aimless chit chat.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

What do you do when you get into bed?

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:26 pm

Hello,

Skarlet's post about not getting much sleep lately prompted me to ask; what do you do when you get into bed at night?

I find that I simply cannot just get into bed, put out the light and go to sleep. I can't even just get into bed and read. I have to have the television on, which usually leads to me falling asleep with it still on, only to wake up at 3 or 4am to turn it off.

Moreover, I actually find myself fighting to stay awake to watch some silly programme that I have no particular interest in watching, robbing myself of sleep!

It's a horrible habit i've got. Any good suggestions for getting off to sleep without the need for the telly?
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What do you do when you get into bed?

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:25 pm

I know this isn't your question but would it be possible to put a timer on your TV, my old TV had one and I think my new one does too.

ILoveChristmas wrote:what do you do when you get into bed at night?

Isn't that a dangerous question to ask hahaha?

I can go to bed and sleep straight away most nights; although I am always tired; my boyfriend sleeps with his computer on and a fish filter as it drowns other noises out. Personally I can't do that; when I stay at his, his poor fish have to do without a filter at night and it's a certain no no to the computer - I can fall asleep with noise it's just if I wake up and their is noise there is absolutely no chance of me getting back to sleep.

Are you tired when you go to bed? Maybe invest in a Nintendo DS and do some of the brain training games to mentally make yourself tired; or join a gym/go running? Do you have a routine? If your sleeping hours are all over the place then you simply won't be tired so will need distractoins until you do sleep.

Also if you can't sleep after say 30mins, get up and do something. Do you have a lot of electronics in your room, I read somewhere that lots of electronics can disrupt your sleep - how true it is I don't know. Do you spend time lounging on your bed during the day/evening etc? if you do, make a rule that bed = sleep only.
A hug is a great gift, one size fits all.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:30 pm

haha, it proves how clean and pure I am dipsy :^o

Thing is, I am tired when I get to bed, I usually can't wait to get there actually. I'm sure it's just a terrible habit i'm in whereby I must have the TV on. A DS is a good idea actually. I came into a little money today actually, so I may treat myself at Tesco tonight.

Interesting theory on the electronics, i'm surrounded by them at home and in fact there is a giant magnet (speaker) right beside my head. I may try sleeping with my head at the other end of the bed.

It's madness really, I actually find my eyes closing and yet I fight to stay awake lol.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RagDoll » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:12 am

Haha, I have to admit I thought it was a bit of a dodgy question to ask too!!

I think Dipsy's made some good suggestions - regarding the DS, although I agree it might help in some respects, I'm not sure it'd be a good thing to do when you've got into bed as trying to think of the answers might make your brain more active as opposed to slow it down and help you relax.

I know you mentioned reading in your first post - do you enjoy reading? I think reading is a great way to switch off and relax your mind for sleep. Much better than switching on the TV.

I'm not someone that can just get into bed, switch the light off and go to sleep either - when I slept in a bed by myself I'd always read or do something before I went to sleep and now I live with my boyfriend we usually have a chat and then I read before we turn the lights off to go to sleep.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:16 am

RagDoll wrote:regarding the DS, although I agree it might help in some respects, I'm not sure it'd be a good thing to do when you've got into bed as trying to think of the answers might make your brain more active as opposed to slow it down and help you relax.

I didn't mean to play it in bed; I meant an hour or so before bed to mentally make yourself sleepy. When I was at uni I found that during the holidays I couldn't sleep because my brain wasn't getting tired.

ILoveChristmas wrote:Interesting theory on the electronics, i'm surrounded by them at home and in fact there is a giant magnet (speaker) right beside my head. I may try sleeping with my head at the other end of the bed.

I read it somewhere once and thought it was interesting; how true it is or how much scientific research has been done is another matter.

ILoveChristmas wrote:It's madness really, I actually find my eyes closing and yet I fight to stay awake lol.

You are like a rebellious kid lol.
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby snail » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:20 am

*comes on to thread expecting something saucy*

*discovers it is totally innocent and storms off*

:evil:
These mountains that you are carrying, you were only supposed to climb.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:40 am

snail wrote:*comes on to thread expecting something saucy*

*discovers it is totally innocent and storms off*

:evil:

You can say what you do in bed or what you'd like to do in bed if you want hehe. :lol:
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby ILoveChristmas » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:12 pm

Dirty ladies!!

Have said that, do carry on :P

ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby snail » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:49 pm

Come round and I'll show you what I do, ILC :wink:

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RagDoll » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Oooo this is all getting a bit suggestive and saucy :P ;) ;) haha
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby dipsydoodlenoodle » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:06 pm

snail wrote:Come round and I'll show you what I do, ILC :wink:

Lol there is an offer you can't refuse....(literally she'll tie you up and force feed you chocolate until you agree)
dipsydoodlenoodle
Long Term Lodger
Long Term Lodger

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:23 pm

ILC you could try the radio or a cd if the TV is distracting. At least with a cd you are laying down and can shut your eyes

I have to have noise to sleep so the TV is always on.
Often we have a cuddle too just before sleepijng but then I have to turn over as I have to sleep in fetal postion with my back pointing in the middle of the bed
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:30 pm

dipsydoodlenoodle wrote:she'll tie you up and force feed you chocolate

That was what I was going to do - who told you, Dips :o

I find music too stimulating myself - I can't have it close to bedtime. Like Ragdoll, I just read a soothing book for half an hour or so.

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bel Bel » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:33 pm

ILC does you TV have a sleep timer? Then you can set it to turn off after a set time.

And don't let snail round as you'll never get any sleep eating all that choclate - it's a stimulant you know :wink:
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Postby snail » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Bel Bel's right, but I think I'm immune to it now. I used to get up in the night, eat some chocolate and go straight back to sleep again :o

Najwa Zebian
snail
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Chit Chat