i get too drunk

Maybe you have fallen out with your mate, or perhaps you are about to betray them - whatever it is, talk about it here.
Forum rules
NEW USERS HAVE TO WAIT FOR THEIR FIRST POSTS TO BE APPROVED BY AN ADMINISTRATOR. Rules | Essential Information | FAQ | Support | Twitter

i get too drunk

Postby Moxy » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:34 pm

Hey everyone,

It was my graduation a few days ago, and I hung around with my friends after the ceremony for a celebration party. The trouble is I got too drunk, and I have a tendency to do this quite a bit without meaning to; I am quite small, and a light weight so drink tends to affect me quite heavily. I didn't do anything too awful but I think I was just being a bit too loud and stumbly, but the problem is that I think my mates are getting sick of it and might stop inviting me to parties if I don't stop getting so wasted. Does anybody have the same problem, and how can I stop getting so drunk?
Moxy
Just Landed
Just Landed

Re: i get too drunk

Postby jen » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:39 pm

Hi

I know this is probably sounding a bit like common sense but i think the only way to stop yourself getting too drunk, is to stop drinking as much.

You could also work out what drinks make you more tipsy than others - for example, i know that wine has the biggest effect on me if i drink it with anything else so whenever i'm out, i may only have one glass of wine and then stick to my normal drink for the rest of the night.

Another thing you could do it have a soft drink or a soda water in between each alcoholic drink. I also do this but mainly because i'm on a diet so i have, for example a Vodka or Jack Daniels and diet coke and then i'll just have a diet coke then another alcoholic drink. This means that you wont need to sit and nurse a drink for ages so that you don't have too much as you'll always have a drink in your hand.

Another thing i would suggest is maybe avoiding shots and also try not to mix your drinks. I'm ok with mixing drinks (providing it's not wine) but a fair few of my friends always stick to the same drink so that they don't get too drunk.

Hope this helps.

Jen
Formerly irnbrubar
jen
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby RagDoll » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:27 pm

I agree with what Jen has suggested, would just also like to add that you need to make sure that you've had a decent meal before you start to drink as the food will help absorb some of what you drink.
We don’t see things the way they are; we see things the way we are
RagDoll
Taken Root
Taken Root

Postby ILoveChristmas » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:23 am

I'll just add that you shouldn't be trying to keep up with your friends in terms of the speed they drink at either. You need to balance your own size and capacity to deal with alcohol and how much you're drinking.

As already mentioned, food prior to drinking is crucial as is a constant intake of fluids like water. Alcohol is a diuretic, in other words it makes your body lose more fluid than it's taking on board, so you have to combat that by drinking more water than normal.
Christmas to a child is the first terrible proof that to travel hopefully is better than to arrive. - Stephen Fry.

The reason we struggle with insecurity is because we compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else’s highlight reel. — Steve Furtick
ILoveChristmas
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CircuitBreaker » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:31 am

The interesting thing about your post is the phrasing. you may become aware that you speak as if getting drunk is something that happens to you, not something you do. It seems to me that you might have effectively deleted the descision that was made in your mind.
there are two ways you can avoid drunkenness.
1) drink less alcahol.
2) make the alcahol effect you less.
i would advise the first but if you are determined on the second (the more unhealthy option) there are some things that you can do.
a) practice drinking. - this will build your tollerance for alcahol but also develop your ability to retain self control whilst drunk. Get drunk and attempt a complex task that involves mind-body collaberation such as playing a video game or juggling asymetric objects.
b) Eat a slab of butter - the fat will absorb the alcahol and keep you sober.
c) take stimulants - certain other substances will enhance your ability to drink and remain focussed.
good luck
CircuitBreaker
Regular Visitor
Regular Visitor

Postby lidopig » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:01 am

CircuitBreaker wrote:The interesting thing about your post is the phrasing. you may become aware that you speak as if getting drunk is something that happens to you, not something you do. It seems to me that you might have effectively deleted the descision that was made in your mind.
there are two ways you can avoid drunkenness.
1) drink less alcahol.
2) make the alcahol effect you less.
i would advise the first but if you are determined on the second (the more unhealthy option) there are some things that you can do.
a) practice drinking. - this will build your tollerance for alcahol but also develop your ability to retain self control whilst drunk. Get drunk and attempt a complex task that involves mind-body collaberation such as playing a video game or juggling asymetric objects.
b) Eat a slab of butter - the fat will absorb the alcahol and keep you sober.
c) take stimulants - certain other substances will enhance your ability to drink and remain focussed.
good luck

I BEG you,don't even consider option 2) above. [-o< Some people just don't handle the effects of alcohol well.You are one of them.Don't be ashamed of that,think yourself lucky and stick to soft drinks.
lidopig
Familiar Face
Familiar Face

Postby Bel Bel » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:13 pm

The damage to your liver from trying to build up your intolerance could be fatal please don't go down that road

Soft drinks in between is defintely the best option and have a long glass filled with coke rather than a short glass with a dash of coke when drinking a sprirt
Life is for living so live it to the fullest

Cheap Pandora Charms UK

Bel Bel
Fully Fledged Flatmate
Fully Fledged Flatmate

Return to Friends